Menu

Good News About my Grandpa

My grandpa was KIA in WWII. His body was not found until a couple of years ago. In the meantime, there was quite a bit of red tape involved since there were three governments involved - Russia, Hungary and the United States.

When my mom found out about this, she had a DNA test done, with a male cousin or uncle. I can't remember which. I don't know if the results are back, but I would expect them to be. It's been two years. There were dog tags with the body and they were for my grandpa; I would hope that would mean something.

I'm thrilled that he will be brought back here and buried, formally. It will provide a lot of closure for my mom and for my grandma. My grandma did get remarried and had another family but my grandpa was her first love. And sometimes, I think he was her only love.

The article is here.

My grandpa was actually a Staff Sergeant.

I wish I had gotten to know him. My brother looks a lot like pics of him.

Edited by susie in tx
spelling errors

That's wonderful, Susie! I've been watching "The Waltons" in the mornings (cheesy, I know, but all I get is Hallmark channel) and they've been talking about the war and missing men and husbands dying... I just can't imagine. Anyway this stuff has been fresh in my mind. What a fabulous thing for your family to have that peace.

What wonderful news, Susie! I'm sure your mother will be at peace knowing her father's remains are at a known place.

I have a confession. In a selfish moment I passed over your post expecting to read about something special your grandfather did today. I lost my grandfather last month. It's been heartbreaking and very difficult for me. Thank you for making me realize your grandfather did something special for us all. And for making me realize how blessed I was to know mine for 40 years.

I'm very happy for your and your family. Thank your family for their sacrifice.

I have a confession. In a selfish moment I passed over your post expecting to read about something special your grandfather did today. I lost my grandfather last month. It's been heartbreaking and very difficult for me

Oh Stacie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a Grandpa for many years and loved him dearly. I know what it's like to lose someone that you love.

May the pain of your grandfather's death grow less every day.:grouphug:

Edited by susie in tx
spelling argh.