Menu

Insurance Question

Martha in GA

My dd was in a minor fender-bender tonight. She said it scratched the other car's paint a bit, but no dents, etc. She exchanged insurance info with the other driver. BUT, we have a $500 deductible, AND this would be her second accident in two years. Can she call the other guys insurance and ask to pay out of pocket without going through our insurance? Would the other insurance company automatically call our insurance since they exchanged info.? Is it legitimate to do this, or is this something that shouldn't even be considered? Are we required to call our insurance in any case? Thanks in advance.

Martha

• Like 1

That is what I was wondering -- if she would get in trouble for not calling our insurance about the accident. Maybe if she calls the other guy's insurance provider, she could find out the legalities of it all. She didn't notice much/any damage to her car, so we weren't going to make a claim on it. I just don't want our insurance rates to go up : (. 

I live in an area where people love to take each other to court. I would call my insurance even for a fender bender. You don't have to claim your damage, but you have to cover yourself for the other guy.

One time I nicked a guy in the Costco parking lot. He claimed that he wanted to settle without insurance, but I told him that we needed to exchange information and that I would be calling my insurance. He didn't have to claim if he didn't want to. I fully intended not to claim on my vehicle (a mom van with many dings). When I called my insurance, I realized that his card that I took a picture of with my phone had actually expired. I suspect that he wanted to settle without insurance because he didn't have any. I never heard from him again.

Well, I don't know, but I thought the deductible pertained when paying to repair one's own car and not the other guy's car.

Anyone know that?

I am assuming you mean paying to fix his paint.

Deductibles pertain to damage done to your own car in and accident if you in fact have comprehensive and collision insurance only your car. Liability insurance is for damage and injuries done on the other car or person and there is no deductible.

• Like 1

Deductibles pertain to damage done to your own car in and accident if you in fact have comprehensive and collision insurance only your car. Liability insurance is for damage and injuries done on the other car or person and there is no deductible.

That is what I figured. 

So if she caused the accident she would not pay a deductible to fix his car.  If he caused the accident she could get the deductible back.  That might take FOREVER, but we did get our deductible back when it wasn't our fault.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

If you can get in contact with him, then you can possibly settle without notifying any insurance company. 

I've done that several times on both sides of the accident. Once, the guy who my kid hit ended up deciding not to bother the ding. Yay, me! Another time, the person my kid hit got an estimate, and we just sent a check.

One time, when I was at fault and readily admitted it, the person I hit never contacted my insurance . . . I didn't get HER info, as I was distracted and not thinking clearly. I'm guessing she wasn't legal to drive, as I probably did 1000-2000 in damage to her car (wrecked her back bumper). Maybe you'll get lucky like that. :) I regretted having even CALLED My insurance since my own car's damage was minor and wouldn't be claimed, but I had just assumed that the person I hit would call my/her insurance company(ies) since the damage was significant. If that happened today, i would try to avoid using insurance in the first place. 

Anyway, in *our* community in WV, most people are happy to exchange contact info and settle w/o insurance. I *always* prefer to do that for any damage under 2k or so (and have never had a claim over 2k). We have 4 drivers, soon to be 5, and I know that it's much better for us to cover minor problems out of pocket . . .

Of course, if there was a bodily injury or serious vehicle damage, then I'd want/need insurance involved. But, short of that, I do my best to avoid it.

And, yes, I'd try to google up his contact info if you can. It might be weird, but worst case, he won't want to talk to you.

• Like 1

That is what I figured.

So if she caused the accident she would not pay a deductible to fix his car. If he caused the accident she could get the deductible back. That might take FOREVER, but we did get our deductible back when it wasn't our fault.

Hmm I've never had that. When we were in an accident that was someone else's fault our insurance didn't handle it at all. They would have if their was a dispute. But since the other guys insurance accepted it as his fault they just cut a check for us. I guess if their is a dispute then our insurance would have handle d it under comprehensive and collision and then require the deductible. Then once it was cleared up the deductible would be reimbursed

Thank you everyone. I did call his insurance and he hadn't made a claim yet. The insurance agent said we could settle outside of insurance directly, but, if the client called, they would process the claim. It turns out the guy she hit was a dr. so she was easily able to find contact info and has left him a message that she would like to talk to him about insurance. I told her to assure him that we would go the insurance route if he felt more comfortable with that.

• Like 1

Hmm I've never had that. When we were in an accident that was someone else's fault our insurance didn't handle it at all. They would have if their was a dispute. But since the other guys insurance accepted it as his fault they just cut a check for us. I guess if their is a dispute then our insurance would have handle d it under comprehensive and collision and then require the deductible. Then once it was cleared up the deductible would be reimbursed

Well the dumb thing was the other insurance tried to argue it was not their customer's fault.  It was CLEARLY the other person's fault.  So our insurance paid right away minus the deductible.  We had to wait for it to go to third party arbitration and then the other company cut us a check for the deductible.  It took about 11 months to get it back.

The other person hit my husband coming from a parked position on the side of a road.  He was in traffic.  Her reasoning as to why it was not her fault was that "she signaled".  I can't believe the other insurance even bothered to argue about it, but whatever.  Maybe they always do to see what they can get away with.

Thank you everyone. I did call his insurance and he hadn't made a claim yet. The insurance agent said we could settle outside of insurance directly, but, if the client called, they would process the claim. It turns out the guy she hit was a dr. so she was easily able to find contact info and has left him a message that she would like to talk to him about insurance. I told her to assure him that we would go the insurance route if he felt more comfortable with that.

If it is some scratched paint, me might not bother doing anything.  I don't think I would unless maybe if I had a lease. 

That is what I was wondering -- if she would get in trouble for not calling our insurance about the accident. Maybe if she calls the other guy's insurance provider, she could find out the legalities of it all. She didn't notice much/any damage to her car, so we weren't going to make a claim on it. I just don't want our insurance rates to go up : (. 

I would not contact the insurance company of the other party.  I do not remember the details, but I think if you try to hide anything from your own insurance company, or go around them, you may find yourself without any insurance.  There are legal reasons...