Menu

I am going to see a dietician

DawnM

Ok, so I found out that my new insurance covers this dietician 100% for unlimited visits!  So, yeah, I am going to take advantage of it.  And to top it off, she is right on my way home from work.

What should I expect?

What should I ask?

What do I want out of this?

Yes, I need to lose weight, that is my primary goal.  Other than that, I want to get healthier and get more energy and learn to deal with my health issues (allergies, acid reflux, etc...)

Thoughts?

One thing that I can honestly say is that I will not spend large amounts of time in the kitchen.  I HATE prepping food even when I have the time, but I def. don't have it now. 

I go on the 28th, so I have a little time to think it through.

It'd be a good idea to write down everything you eat until then so that you can show her and she can point out opportunities for easy improvement on what you have. I've talked to one a couple of times and they all wanted to know what I usually ate. 

It'd be a good idea to write down everything you eat until then so that you can show her and she can point out opportunities for easy improvement on what you have. I've talked to one a couple of times and they all wanted to know what I usually ate. 

Yes, she already asked me for a 3 day log/journal of what I have eaten recently.

Start using my fitness pal. I started logging stuff before I saw a dietician and then she was able to show me a few more things.

Example, if it has a bar code, you can scan it.

Example, type in homemade meatloaf and it will offer suggestions. Pick one that fits.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I've never found a dietician useful. I actually found I was more up on the current research than the most recent one I saw - it was pretty pathetic given that I'm just a layperson. I agree taking a binder to keep track of things is helpful, along with a list of questions to ask, but if something sounds off it well might be - some are pretty much bought and paid for by the cereal lobby and don't even quite realize it. One who specializes in obesity is a better bet, but even they aren't always useful or right on in their advice. Having a professional insist you must be lying on your detailed food lots because you're not getting the results they were expecting isn't the pinnacle of excellent bedside manner :(

There are ways to cheat the prep if you are willing to spend the money. In the frozen section of the grocery store, you can find diced onions, sliced onions and peppers for stir fry; diced onions, carrots, and celery that is the start of nearly every soup; plus tons more options. It's crazy what you can buy already cut up. You can buy garlic already diced as well which is nice when you don't want your hands to smell.

I have the time to prep and I don't mind doing it most days but on the days I'm not feeling well those frozen bags of diced veggies sure come in handy.

• Like 1

There are ways to cheat the prep if you are willing to spend the money. In the frozen section of the grocery store, you can find diced onions, sliced onions and peppers for stir fry; diced onions, carrots, and celery that is the start of nearly every soup; plus tons more options. It's crazy what you can buy already cut up. You can buy garlic already diced as well which is nice when you don't want your hands to smell.

I have the time to prep and I don't mind doing it most days but on the days I'm not feeling well those frozen bags of diced veggies sure come in handy.

This is how I get a lot of my vegetables in. I make a lot of soups that are a couple bags of different frozen vegetables and a few cups of stock (they're side dishes for protein so no meat), thrown on the stove and forgotten about until the timer goes off. 

This is how I get a lot of my vegetables in. I make a lot of soups that are a couple bags of different frozen vegetables and a few cups of stock (they're side dishes for protein so no meat), thrown on the stove and forgotten about until the timer goes off. 

Rabbit Trail: Would you be willing to post a couple of recipes? When I do this, it tastes like . . . vegetables in stock. (I need specifics w/the herbs and stuff - "season to taste" means nothing to me. Talk to me like I am 5. Some of us are not "kitchen naturals." *grin* )

I am realizing that, as a result of my own allergies, I have been missing some nutrients.  I'm tempted to go to one and say, "Here, this is what I'm eating.  What's missing.  And where can I get it that isn't (insert long list of food I can't eat)."  And also, "What supplements/vitamin/mineral levels need to be addressed to fix x, y, and z problems?"

I am not sure if you are familiar with this website, but once you figure out what you're missing, the feature for searching foods by nutrients is very good. You can even search by food group and nutrient, e.g., 'vegetables highest in calcium'. 

Sometimes you need to sort through some weird stuff by paging down a few times, but it's still extremely helpful. 

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search