Menu

After LOE C for my 8 year old if we don't do D

jkl

My dd8 is about half way through LOE C.  She has really taken off in reading these past 6 months.  She is reading on grade level (2nd grade). I have LOE D, but I'm not sure I want to use it with her.  She has already read almost all of the readers scheduled and I feel she will be a bit beyond what I see in level D.  I'd like a bit more writing and a bit more grammar, and of course she will still  be reading aloud to me daily to improve fluency.  Has anyone done LOE D with a pretty fluent early reader and felt it was beneficial?  Should I just move on--maybe to Climbing to Good English for grammar/writing and ETC for phonics review???  Anyone have an opinion to share?

We moved to Treasured Conversations and will do a word root study after that. Continuing with the flash cards (especially the advanced phonogram flashcards) is also helpful.

TC has been a fantastic transition.

Thanks! I have (and love) TC, but no way is she ready for that yet. I hesitate to drop phonics totally because that's what we did with my son--too early--and paid for it later. Still thinking about it...

Is it too writing heavy? I find it takes us maybe 10-15 minutes most days and the grammar was actually a lot more simple than LoE Essentials, and retained better than Foundations. It hit kind of a sweet spot of not being too much rigor or writing while still being incredibly useful.

• 3 weeks later...

My older daughter struggled with D, when we first tried it was too big of a leap from C. We finally went through it in accelerated fashion a while or so after finishing C I believe and it worked better. I just started D with my middle daughter today actually. She turns 7 in a couple of weeks but is a much more solid reader than dd1 at this point. She has read a chunk of the readers listed as well but I think it will be good to solidify her skills- besides the fact that it has been enjoyable so far. DD1 and I did not enjoy D as much as the other levels but I'm thinking that might be different with dd2 as she is more advanced and just a totally different kid in general. For me i already have it here, it is enjoyed, i am familiar with using it and I want to continue working with something to increase her fluency so it seems like a no-brainer to continue on. I do have Essentials as well, I used it with ds a few years ago. I much, much, much prefer Foundations, especially for younger ones. I've actually been meaning to sell it but haven't got around to it. 

My older daughter (that went through LoE A-D) is currently using Treasured Conversations now (L. 13 this week ), my son finished it a couple of years ago(he learned to read before LoE was realeased my dd1 was actually a pilot tester for Foundations). No way is my middle daughter ready for TC. I'm not sure what in the world I'm using next year for dd2 in 2nd after she finishes loE D but I'll be holding off on TC until 3rd. Dd1 and Ds both used it in 4th, for ds he used it when it came out and was ready for the ideas if not the physical writing earlier- dd while more proficient physically has been slower with ideas, it has been a good fit for her for 4th. 

Have you read through D? There is a considerable jump up in the writing in D. It was actually a complaint of mine but it was easy enough to cut it out for the kid who is ready for the reading and not the writing OR if you just don't care for it.

Thanks!  I have (and love) TC, but no way is she ready for that yet.  I hesitate to drop phonics totally because that's what we did with my son--too early--and paid for it later.  Still thinking about it... 

How is her spelling? You could use spelling to review and solidify phonics--something like AAS would use phonograms as well.

• 2 weeks later...