Menu

Math sequence qs

Hi there smart people! This is my first foray into middle school maths so I'm just wanting some feedback please. Dh just nods and says 'sounds good...' This is all quite different to how maths was organised when I went to school - we didn't have delineated subjects like algebra/geometry etc, just grade x maths, so I'm having trouble conceptualising exactly where we are or where to go.

Dd is finishing up beast academy 5b and really enjoys BA. She is also halfway through the LoF preA series, dabbles in Jacob's human endeavor and Singapore 6 reviews. She is pretty good at maths, has quite an intuitive understanding, and enjoys it. She is a young 11, would be in her last term of grade 5 if she was at school - I'm not at all worried about grade levels, just for context. She doesn't like spinning wheels with too easy, she likes a bit of reachable challenge.

So my current plan is to finish out the ba/LoF preA series and then... I don't exactly know.

I like the sound of jousting armadillos, I think she'd enjoy that. I have a copy of lial's bcm on my shelf, but looking through it, it seems that she could do 80+% of it, so now I'm not sure what to do with prealgebra. Is lial's considered a complete preA course?

I'm tempted to go through jousting, supplement with some khan/bits and pieces from my shelves, and then see if she can handle aops preA in about 6-9months - near her 12th birthday.

Thoughts? Does it sound like she's where she should be/behind/ahead? Suggestions or book recommendations are more than welcome!

Thank you!

Hi! I am new to this as well. My DD is 10 and she has completed MM Prealgebra and did few chapters from Aops pre-A. Now she is enrolled in Jacobs Algebra from Veritas press and is doing so well till now. I plan to start AOPS Algebra on weekends soon just to keep up the challenge.

Have you tried Aops yet? My daughter loves it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply! Beast academy is done by Aops, I'm quite keen for her to finish off at least 5b/c before we move on. I do like the idea of aops from here on, but international shipping makes it a more expensive option.

Thanks for your reply! Beast academy is done by Aops, I'm quite keen for her to finish off at least 5b/c before we move on. I do like the idea of aops from here on, but international shipping makes it a more expensive option.

I order through rainbow resources, so far it is the cheapest I have managed to find the programs plus shipping to australia, I deliberated for ages but eventually decided to take the plunge and we could not be happier with AoPS.

• Like 1

I order through rainbow resources, so far it is the cheapest I have managed to find the programs plus shipping to australia, I deliberated for ages but eventually decided to take the plunge and we could not be happier with AoPS.

Good to know, thanks! I keep an eye on better world books as well.

Look at the Australian TIMES modules. We have used some of these for fun. We did geometry as well as probability and statistics parallel with algebra because my kids find algebra only too dry.

http://schools.amsi.org.au/times-modules/

ETA:

We also use some of the MEP GCSE and A Level modules for fun.

Thanks for this Arcadia, I haven't seen it before. Could you please tell me a bit about how you use it - I had a look at the website but I'm still not sure. I would have loved a mentor type program like this in high school when all the boys were indignant at the girl beating them in maths...

Could you please tell me a bit about how you use it - I had a look at the website but I'm still not sure.

We print out the pdf as it was more convenient. For example circle geometry (http://amsi.org.au/teacher_modules/Circle_Geometry.html), we read the theory portion and did the exercises. The sample answers are also given so you can grade the exercises easily.

The Pythagoras theorem module might be a good topic to try. http://amsi.org.au/teacher_modules/pythagoras_theorem.html

• Like 1

We print out the pdf as it was more convenient. For example circle geometry (http://amsi.org.au/teacher_modules/Circle_Geometry.html), we read the theory portion and did the exercises. The sample answers are also given so you can grade the exercises easily.

The Pythagoras theorem module might be a good topic to try. http://amsi.org.au/teacher_modules/pythagoras_theorem.html

Thank you!