Menu

Mac users - OS Sierra

I just got an iMac. LOVE. (Thank you all for your recommendations, I finally caved.) It has El Capitan on it, and I just got a little message to upgrade to Sierra. Do I need to do that? Do I want to do that?

I upgraded the first day. I like it so far. The only problem I have had to date is that I use yahoo for some of my email accounts. There was a snit between iMessage and my yahoo accounts for some reason that caused me not to be able to send texts from my computer at first. I could receive but not send, even though it was using my phone number as the send number and not a yahoo email. 

The problem ended up being a new setting with yahoo for security. You have to enable it for non approved programs or whatever from your actual yahoo account online. Doing that and rebooting fixed all of the problems. 

If you don't have yahoo, then you should be in the clear. I actually like the new photos set up better than El Capitan's version. 

I went ahead and did it last night. I figured I don't really know any of the Mac programs yet, so I won't notice if something is different. As long as my existing programs that I need work, than I am good. So far, so good.

I upgraded, no problems and I like it. Hubby is waiting because OS upgrades always mess up his autocad and we can't afford downtime. It usually takes the company a few months to get such a massive piece of software upgraded properl so he likes to wait.

What happened? I need to get a new desktop, so I am very interested. 'messed up' sounds scary. Did you lose anything?

No, thankfully I didn't lose any photos. Although I can look at my old albums in 'iPhoto events', it doesn't automatically load new photos into albums. I can't easily find specific photos-I have to scroll through All photos (and I have a lot). I liked iPhotos with the albums being arranged by date, and i could scroll over each album and see thumbnails of all the pics in the album. It seems like I can manually make 'smart albums' but I find the old way simpler and easier for me.

• Like 1

No, thankfully I didn't lose any photos. Although I can look at my old albums in 'iPhoto events', it doesn't automatically load new photos into albums. I can't easily find specific photos-I have to scroll through All photos (and I have a lot). I liked iPhotos with the albums being arranged by date, and i could scroll over each album and see thumbnails of all the pics in the album. It seems like I can manually make 'smart albums' but I find the old way simpler and easier for me.

Thanks! It sounds as though you did much more with iPhoto than ever did. I always find it irritating when app improments make things worse.

I did dislike that change in iPhoto. I ended up making smart albums for each year. Since I make my grandparent holdiay present calendar at the end of the year, I just mentally added a second step of creating the new year's smart album.

I mostly adapted, but I do miss how it used to be. I haven't upgraded OS yet, but that's because I haven't had time.