Menu

Sunday school? Bible curriculum?

We don't have access to a Sunday School. In our home we have several chilldren's Bibles we read over and go through again and again. So my ds (5) I know is getting a good base in Bible at his level. However- he isn't getting activities or crafts to go with.

Wondering if anyone has used the Sunday School materials from CLE or Rod and Staff? These are cheap for an individual student which is why I am wondering about these. Or is there something you reccommend?

My thoughts are using a lesson during our family day.

You are going to get a lot of suggestions.  A lot will depend on what you want and how you want to teach your child.

I teach the 4 year old class at my church (3 kids).  I use a lot of ideas from http://handsonbibleteacher.blogspot.com/. I search online for free coloring pages. 

I have bible study guide for all ages in my siggie, but I haven't used it yet, so can't recommend them.  I do have their bible summary cards which I like and use.

I hope you find something. 

We don't have access to a Sunday School. In our home we have several children's Bibles we read over and go through again and again. So my ds (5) I know is getting a good base in Bible at his level. However- he isn't getting activities or crafts to go with.

Wondering if anyone has used the Sunday School materials from CLE or Rod and Staff? These are cheap for an individual student which is why I am wondering about these. Or is there something you reccommend?

My thoughts are using a lesson during our family day.

We use CLE Bible in our homeschool, but if it's crafts you want, I wouldn't use that. We like CLE Bible because it's to-the-point and the girls already know the Bible stories. There are no activities or crafts to correspond with the lessons. This year, we're using CLE Bible 400 (Gospels/Life of Jesus) for all three girls (because we wanted to focus on that portion of the Bible). Next year, we plan to do CLE Bible 500 (Old Testament: Genesis to Joshua), or perhaps something else entirely.

If I were you, with one little guy, I'd continue reading aloud from your children's Bibles. Our favorites here are:

• The DK Children's Illustrated Bible, by Selina Hastings (the larger book, not the tiny one)
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book, by Elsie Egermeier

I'd also purchase The Big Picture Bible Timeline Book (Gospel Light) and use it as coloring pages (that you could put up on the wall, if you wanted to). The coloring pages could correspond to the Bible stories as you read them.

When my girls were younger, we LOVED using these felts from Betty Lukens. I'll admit, I splurged and bought the large, deluxe set, and it was work to cut them all out, but I have no regrets. We still have the set, and hopefully will use it again, perhaps in a VBS for a small church. The small set would probably be just fine for home use with a few children. I still love my large set, though!

Instead of crafts, you might consider purchasing some music CDs to sing along with. When my girls were your son's age, they enjoyed Cedarmont Kids CDs -- Sunday School Songs, Bible Songs, Songs of Praise, Hymns, Action Bible Songs, and so on. The girls are in 4th, 4th, and 6th now, but they still put those CDs on and sing. :) They also liked Wee Sing CDs -- Wee Sing Bible Songs, Wee Sing More Bible Songs, and some others. Also, check out Hide 'Em in Your Heart CDs by Steve Green, and Sing the Word CDs by the Harrow family. HTH.

• Like 2

Honestly I don't think crafts and activities add much, if anything, to Bible study.

I know this.....

I really do.....

It is just I feel like he is missing out on what I had as a kid. He doesn't have ss or children's church or other kids (besides a 3 month old) during our church time. The work of building the church where there is none....

And I just feel like as a family if we took our family day and just added in something fun with the Bible it may ease me and he would like it I think.

We do family devotions daily, he has memory verses, and each evening we continue on in our childrens Bible. So I know he is getting enough- I might just need to really say that a few times aloud.

I just had the thought of doing one lesson each week and then re-reading the story the rest of the week and have him listen to it with his A Visit from Mrs. G audio.

• Like 2

We use CLE Bible in our homeschool, but if it's crafts you want, I wouldn't use that. We like CLE Bible because it's to-the-point and the girls already know the Bible stories. There are no activities or crafts to correspond with the lessons. This year, we're using CLE Bible 400 (Gospels/Life of Jesus) for all three girls (because we wanted to focus on that portion of the Bible). Next year, we plan to do CLE Bible 500 (Old Testament: Genesis to Joshua), or perhaps something else entirely.

If I were you, with one little guy, I'd continue reading aloud from your children's Bibles. Our favorites here are:

• The DK Children's Illustrated Bible, by Selina Hastings (the larger book, not the tiny one)
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book, by Elsie Egermeier
I'd also purchase The Big Picture Bible Timeline Book (Gospel Light) and use it as coloring pages (that you could put up on the wall, if you wanted to). The coloring pages could correspond to the Bible stories as you read them.

When my girls were younger, we LOVED using these felts from Betty Lukens. I'll admit, I splurged and bought the large, deluxe set, and it was work to cut them all out, but I have no regrets. We still have the set, and hopefully will use it again, perhaps in a VBS for a small church. The small set would probably be just fine for home use with a few children. I still love my large set, though!

Instead of crafts, you might consider purchasing some music CDs to sing along with. When my girls were your son's age, they enjoyed Cedarmont Kids CDs -- Sunday School Songs, Bible Songs, Songs of Praise, Hymns, Action Bible Songs, and so on. The girls are in 4th, 4th, and 6th now, but they still put those CDs on and sing. :) They also liked Wee Sing CDs -- Wee Sing Bible Songs, Wee Sing More Bible Songs, and some others. Also, check out Hide 'Em in Your Heart CDs by Steve Green, and Sing the Word CDs by the Harrow family. HTH.

I looked at the CLE Bible- 1st grade looks great short and simple. But my son is 5 and they don't (at least what I could find) have Bible for k. But I think I could find art or something online to go with the lessons.

We have all these CD but Sing the Word. We love them! Thanks for the suggestions. I would love a flanell set. I might get away with that since we may need it in several years as our church grows.

• Like 1

I know this.....

I really do.....

It is just I feel like he is missing out on what I had as a kid. He doesn't have ss or children's church or other kids (besides a 3 month old) during our church time. The work of building the church where there is none....

And I just feel like as a family if we took our family day and just added in something fun with the Bible it may ease me and he would like it I think.

We do family devotions daily, he has memory verses, and each evening we continue on in our childrens Bible. So I know he is getting enough- I might just need to really say that a few times aloud.

I just had the thought of doing one lesson each week and then re-reading the story the rest of the week and have him listen to it with his A Visit from Mrs. G audio.

If you just want fun activities when you feel like it, I'd make one suggestions.

One is to just use google and pinterest and search out crafts for whatever story you are interested in.  You can then choose what appeals to you and will work, and there are all kinds of ideas that you can get that way.

I find a lot of the crafts and activities in the curricula I've seen aren't very good.  You might end up using half.  So as a way to find activities it might not be the best use of money.

I do think that at a certain point, for good Christian ed, you will need to go beyond just Bible stories, devotions, and memory work - you have to address meaning, and often it helps to have some kind of structure for that, and an idea of the topics that you will need to cover.  But what you want will vary significantly depending on your beliefs, and I've found even with those kinds of resources, often I ditch the activities and such and find something more suited to my group and my abilities.

• Like 1

Another good possibility with Advent season coming up is to purchase an advent devotional to do as a family. We made Jesse Tree ornaments one year and read the corresponding Bible story to the ornament each day of Advent. This will be our 4th year doing a Bible story and hanging the ornament on the tree each day from Thankgsgiving-Christmas. There are tons of ornament ideas and daily scripture verses to correspond if you google Jesse Tree Devotional.

• Like 3

We have an advent tradition of using a count down to correlate to our readings- we could add ornament making this year and see how that goes.

You need to check this out: http://truthinthetinsel.com/

We have done this program for Advent four years in a row (since my girls were 5, 3 and 1), and it is absolutely fantastic. It is by far our family's favorite and most meaningful Christmas tradition. My favorite thing about it is that we can add layers of depth to our reading and discussions with each passing year, so the kids will never outgrow it. I can't recommend it highly enough!!