Menu

When sign up for SAT 2 subject tests?

I want to sign up early, but how early is early?  I'm thinking by January at the latest.  Or is that too late?  Should I be signing up now?  Or should I wait until December so we have a better feel for whether my student will do well on the test?  

Edited by Garga_

We found it best for the student takes the test immediately after completion of the course. Whenever that is for yours.

Except for literature; that one is so easy that it can be taken whenever, since it is very similar to the regular SAT English portion.

ETA: Oh, and some of the foreign language ones are only given twice a year, so you have to take them whenever offered.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Which subject are you looking at? You can check dates here https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/register/test-dates-deadlines

if you are looking at world language with listening (French with Listening, German with Listening​, Spanish with Listening​, Chinese with Listening​, Japanese with Listening​, Korean with Listening​) that is in November. 

Latin is in Dec and June.

If there is a center that you want, you sign up earlier.  If you don't mind any test center that have seats left, then you can sign up just before deadline and still get a place.

However I would recommend you run the locate test center tool on this link https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/find-test-centers and see which centers are available at the date you want.  I had less test centers for the June date then the May date and we want the June date because my kids have class on Saturday mornings until end of May.

ETA:

Your son is already 13 years old so he can sign up online.  That makes it faster than mailing in the SAT form. Also CollegeBoard added a August test date to 2017/18 so if your child don't mind studying in summer, that date might work for you.

Edited by Arcadia

No...wait.  I mean, I know the test is in June.  How early should I go onto the College Board website and sign him up.  The physical act of signing him up.  

I don't want to wait too long and then the one local school hosting the tests around here says, "We're full."  I'm not in a populated area and if I don't get into the one local school (30 minutes away), then we're looking at an hour's drive at the least. No one wants to have to drive an hour or more on test morning.  Or stay in a hotel overnight so they don't have to do the drive.

So....I guess I should just sign up now so I don't have to worry about it.  I'll have signed up 8 months early...but then I won't worry that he's lost his spot at the local school and we'll have to start scouting out farther away.

No...wait. I mean, I know the test is in June. How early should I go onto the College Board website and sign him up. The physical act of signing him up.

I'm not in a populated area and if I don't get into the one local school (30 minutes away), then we're looking at an hour's drive at the least.

There are many test dates for the SAT subject tests, not just the June date. I would suggest you sign up ASAP if you want the one that is 30 minutes away. Reporting to a test centre by 7:45am was no fun for my night owl. We have many choices within 30mins drive but I registered my kid in November last year for June this year just to be sure we get the first choice location.

• Like 1

I signed DD up last week for a June SAT Subject test.  I'd sign up now; there's no point in waiting and that way, you are assured a seat.  So, really early with this one and way late for the PSAT.  Weird.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1