Menu

How to clean newly pierced ears?

Just Kate

Dd (age 9) got her ears pierced today. She really didn't want to go to Claire's, our pediatrician doesn't do piercings, and I live in a rural area with no reputable tattoo places (well, there is one, but they don't do piercings). I have friend who was trained in cosmetology school and she is actually licensed to pierce ears. So we went to Sally's, bought the earings and cleaning solution, and now dd has pierced ears (friend used the piercing gun).

I've started reading a bit about taking care of new piercings and it looks like that cleaning solution may not be best (it is the same as what they sell at Claire's). Any thoughts on this? What did your dd use? Any tips or tricks that worked especially well? I am finding a lot of conflicting info online regarding turning the earings, how often to clean, etc.

When my daughter got her ears pierced at a piercing salon, they gave her sea salt.  They told her to dissolve the salt in distilled or boiled water, (1/2 tsp per cup of water, I think).  Then, fill a small cup with the solution and bring the cup up over the earlobe, submerging the piercing in the salt water, and just hold it there for 15 seconds.  She did this twice a day.  (we kept the solution in a sealed glass jar)