Menu

Dead Body Smell in Books

If the air is gritty, you may want to consider wearing a mask. I would be concerned about the grit lodging in my lungs. I can't tell if you mean literal grit like dust or if the air just smells really thick because of the strong odors.

I suspect the book smell isn't as bad as you think. When the smell goes away the books will air too.

I work for a company in the country. In the 8 years I've been here, we've had mice/rats die in the walls a few time.  They decompose and eventually stop smelling HORRIBLE. But we have never noticed any smell in the paper (either blank or plans) that are stored in the same room that has the dead animal in the walls.

• Like 1

Thankfully, there is less grit in the air now. That is healthier.

It is good to know that decomposition doesn't linger in paper.

I don't know if I'm fighting off a virus or just feeling the mental affects in my body, but 5-7 miles feels like at least 10 miles this week. I'm exhausted and aching. 

Thanks ladies!

I'd avoid anything that is a cover-up to the odor. Odors to cover other odors often involve further toxic chemical exposures.

Absorbants like charcoal make much more sense.

I have been using unscented clay kitty litter to absorb odors from books. These have not involved dead body odor, but things like mildew. I learned of this from a librarian.  It can be put into a knee high stocking and used to absorb other odors too, such as from stinky shoes, or into cup in fridge, so it may be helpful in your situation.  I mean if you don't want Euclid to smell forever.

• Like 1

We had a possum climb into our ductwork and die. The smell was horrible. Possums smell dead when they're alive. Lol. It was weeks before we found the source. But the smell did not linger in our stuff, including books.

Eta: and that was without doing anything. I was young and ignorant and it didn't occur to me to do anything other than open the windows. Lol

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 2