Menu

Tsk tsk - Houston schools fail NCLB

Did you see that only 2% of students are allowed to take the special ed version? And only 1% can take the severe disabilities test? While I have no idea what percentage of students are special ed, I know from talking to many friends who are teachers (and one a principal) that this is a real problem. Often schools that have good special ed programs have more special ed students because the families move into that area so their child can attend that school. I have a friend whose DS has severe dyslexia. She was told that no modifications could be made for him. I know this is not true, so I have to wonder if all the spots for modified tests were being taken by other students with more severe needs.

There are so many problems with NCLB. This is just one of them.

Did you see that only 2% of students are allowed to take the special ed version? And only 1% can take the severe disabilities test? While I have no idea what percentage of students are special ed, I know from talking to many friends who are teachers (and one a principal) that this is a real problem. Often schools that have good special ed programs have more special ed students because the families move into that area so their child can attend that school. I have a friend whose DS has severe dyslexia. She was told that no modifications could be made for him. I know this is not true, so I have to wonder if all the spots for modified tests were being taken by other students with more severe needs.

There are so many problems with NCLB. This is just one of them.

In TX modifications for dyslexia include extra time, and an aide who may (or not) read questions to child. Last year Texas lost its overzealous exemptions. which were substantially higher than other states for special ed testing. I believe it's a max of 2% now.

In TX modifications for dyslexia include extra time, and an aide who may (or not) read questions to child. Last year Texas lost its overzealous exemptions. which were substantially higher than other states for special ed testing. I believe it's a max of 2% now.

That's why I was amazed that they told her that no modifications were available. I don't know if they lied to her or what. It's weird. Of course, they were pushing them to medicate his ADD at the time, too.