Menu

Why do memory work? And how to do it?

I'm noticing how much my children can soak up and memorize so easily, and at the same time I notice that other homeschoolers make memory work a priority. At the moment, we don't have a system, but I would love to start. I am interested in hearing the "why" and "how" from everyone who is willing to share. Resources would be great, too. Thanks!

Doing memory work helps improve the skill, which is great as any adult who has tried to learn things like a lot of vocabulary knows.

As well - there is this idea that people no longer need to have information in mind, since they can look it up.  They just need to be able to "analyze".  This seems to miss that in order to be able to contextualize new information, or come up with new ideas, actually requires knowledge that you possess.  You aren't going to hear about, say, a particular historical event, and link it in your mind with some other event, unless you actually know these things. If you don't know something, how can you think to relate it or compare it to something else?  You will be totally dependent on others to do it for you.

But I really think the best reason to have things committed to memory is that it creates a beautiful repository of ideas and images and language to refer to at any time, under any circumstances.  People who have these things in mind can produce them whenever they want, and it can be so enjoyable to talk to them.  And, I think, it can be a great comfort as well when one needs some inspiration or way to describe one's situation.  I watched a movie the other night about Winston Churchill, and he was very often coming up with bits of literature that in some way spoke to his situation, as he saw it. 

• Like 2

Re: how to do it - there is all kinds of information on how to organize memory work.  If you look at the Simply Charlotte Mason website, they have some good suggestions about organizing this, and if you are interested in memorizing Bible material they have a set of free resources that is rather nice.

But in general for content, there are all kinds of options.  For smaller kids I really prefer poetry.  From about grade 3 and up you can add in things from their history studies, science, whatever takes their fancy.  Some people are happy to have them memorize facts that are not related to things they have learned, but personally I think that is not a great idea. 

• Like 1

I used Classical Conversations' Foundations book for memory work with both of my kids when they were little. I also used Sheppardsoftware.com for geography. For my history/fact-loving son, who has some lds, it was an incredible confidence booster. He was constantly amazing people with his knowledge. I also used IEWs poetry memorization program and, oh, how my dd loved that. She would recite the poetry everywhere we went. In hindsight, I'm not sure I would have bothered with the CC memory work for my dd, because that was not her area of interest, but it was such a wonderful thing for ds. And maybe it did help their memory skills. I have no way of knowing the long-term impact of that. But, CC was definitely a source of confidence for my son and the poetry a joy for my dd.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

I second the IEW Poetry memorization book as well as CC.

I tried to put my own memory work together at first, but we didn't get much accomplished. Through CC, though, my kids memorized a tremendous amount of information that has been invaluable thorough our studies. I wouldn't start CC too early, though. I think 3rd or 4th grade is a nice time for kids to begin the CC memory work program. Maybe 2nd grade at the earliest.

• Like 1

We do a lot of memory work.  When my oldest kids were young, we just sat on the couch and memorized more and more of Bible passages, poems, speeches, etc., going over it all each day as part of our "together" stuff.  We did CC for one year when my oldest was in 7th grade.  While there was good about CC, some things drove me nuts, so a friend and I started our own small junior high (eventually senior high) co-op.  

For our younger kids, who were away in the morning at an elementary co-op we'd all done for years, I put together an afternoon memory work program.  I used CC as a general guide, but I tweaked things a lot.  I decided on just a 32 point timeline, but I included dates.  In subsequent years we added the kings and queens of England as well as the Presidents, and now we do all 3 things every year.  We do science facts that line up with what the older kids are doing in their science class, as well as Bible passages and poems.  We also do mapwork that lines up with Tapestry of Grace, since that's what we use for history for the older grades.  I now have a 4 year rotation of this, with everything divided out by weeks, for what to work on.  We just keep going over the old stuff, adding on the new stuff.  

It's been so beneficial for my kids.  My oldest is a sophomore at Virginia Tech, and he has mentioned several times how useful it has been to be able to memorize well and quickly.  He's in the Corps, so there is much memorization required there of various random facts!  And I love that they can spout off "St. Crispian's Day Speech" or "In Flanders Fields" or whatever during appropriate moments.  It's been good for me too!

• Like 1

Read the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. It will explain the developmental and academic importance of memorization in early childhood and how it's part of the first stage of the Trivium in a Neoclassical Education. Also read The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers.

Hmm guess I better go back and read it again! I even just got the newest edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing memory work helps improve the skill, which is great as any adult who has tried to learn things like a lot of vocabulary knows.

As well - there is this idea that people no longer need to have information in mind, since they can look it up. They just need to be able to "analyze". This seems to miss that in order to be able to contextualize new information, or come up with new ideas, actually requires knowledge that you possess. You aren't going to hear about, say, a particular historical event, and link it in your mind with some other event, unless you actually know these things. If you don't know something, how can you think to relate it or compare it to something else? You will be totally dependent on others to do it for you.

But I really think the best reason to have things committed to memory is that it creates a beautiful repository of ideas and images and language to refer to at any time, under any circumstances. People who have these things in mind can produce them whenever they want, and it can be so enjoyable to talk to them. And, I think, it can be a great comfort as well when one needs some inspiration or way to describe one's situation. I watched a movie the other night about Winston Churchill, and he was very often coming up with bits of literature that in some way spoke to his situation, as he saw it.

This is very inspiring. Thank you!

• Like 1

I used Classical Conversations' Foundations book for memory work with both of my kids when they were little. I also used Sheppardsoftware.com for geography. For my history/fact-loving son, who has some lds, it was an incredible confidence booster. He was constantly amazing people with his knowledge. I also used IEWs poetry memorization program and, oh, how my dd loved that. She would recite the poetry everywhere we went. In hindsight, I'm not sure I would have bothered with the CC memory work for my dd, because that was not her area of interest, but it was such a wonderful thing for ds. And maybe it did help their memory skills. I have no way of knowing the long-term impact of that. But, CC was definitely a source of confidence for my son and the poetry a joy for my dd.

I second the IEW Poetry memorization book as well as CC.

I tried to put my own memory work together at first, but we didn't get much accomplished. Through CC, though, my kids memorized a tremendous amount of information that has been invaluable thorough our studies. I wouldn't start CC too early, though. I think 3rd or 4th grade is a nice time for kids to begin the CC memory work program. Maybe 2nd grade at the earliest.

Is there a way to get my hands on the CC material for memorization without being in CC? We live abroad right now so CC is not an option.

We do a lot of memory work. When my oldest kids were young, we just sat on the couch and memorized more and more of Bible passages, poems, speeches, etc., going over it all each day as part of our "together" stuff. We did CC for one year when my oldest was in 7th grade. While there was good about CC, some things drove me nuts, so a friend and I started our own small junior high (eventually senior high) co-op.

For our younger kids, who were away in the morning at an elementary co-op we'd all done for years, I put together an afternoon memory work program. I used CC as a general guide, but I tweaked things a lot. I decided on just a 32 point timeline, but I included dates. In subsequent years we added the kings and queens of England as well as the Presidents, and now we do all 3 things every year. We do science facts that line up with what the older kids are doing in their science class, as well as Bible passages and poems. We also do mapwork that lines up with Tapestry of Grace, since that's what we use for history for the older grades. I now have a 4 year rotation of this, with everything divided out by weeks, for what to work on. We just keep going over the old stuff, adding on the new stuff.

It's been so beneficial for my kids. My oldest is a sophomore at Virginia Tech, and he has mentioned several times how useful it has been to be able to memorize well and quickly. He's in the Corps, so there is much memorization required there of various random facts! And I love that they can spout off "St. Crispian's Day Speech" or "In Flanders Fields" or whatever during appropriate moments. It's been good for me too!

Oh wow! How do I do what you did? Haha. We are going through TOG Primer right now and will start year 1 next year. I seem to be stumbling my way through creating some memory work. I would love to match it up with what we are doing!

Is there a way to get my hands on the CC material for memorization without being in CC? We live abroad right now so CC is not an option.

Sure- you can just order it directly from their website, assuming their shipping fees are agreeable for you. Here is the audio CD link if you just want the songs. It's on sale:

http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/cycle1audiocds.html

And here is the guide book. http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/fogu4thed.html

We definitely aren't CC and I just ordered all of the above myself.

ETA: you might check YouTube prior to buying. There are a lot of videos of people (kids included) teaching and demonstrating the songs. That way you can see if it's appealing.

Edited by texasmom33

I just wanted to add that if you're interested in the IEW poetry memorization, they offer a pretty extensive free sample you can download as well.

http://iew.com/shop/products/linguistic-development-through-poetry-memorization-teachers-manual-cds

Click the sample tab that's in the Overview section and you can download them all for free.

Wow I just checked out Sheppardsoftware.com. Thank you, thank you!

• Like 1