Menu

Dusty/sandy air and respiratory problems

Amira

I live in an extremely dusty/sandy area and I'm trying to find ways to reduce the amount of dust in the house because it's causing some respiratory problems in our family. Surfaces look noticeably dusty again 6 hours after I dust. The a/c filters need to be cleaned every few weeks rather than every three or four months.

I have two air purifiers going all the time. I don't know if they make much difference, but I could get a couple more. I really don't want to dust every day but I would if it helped keep people's lungs healthy. I've never opened the windows. What else can I do?

Edited by Amira

Seal up the house better to keep more air and dust out.  Use a blower door and smoke candles to find the air leaks.  The best way to seal depends on what type of construction the house is.  A blower door is a professional tool, but you can find sites that show how to make a functional equivalent, you don't need to exactly measure the airflow, just build some pressure to find the air leaks.  

Check for a fresh air intake to the ductwork, add a filter to that or close it.  An air conditioning evaporator is usually a decent air filter by itself, but that might not be the same if the air there is dry enough that the evaporator is not dripping with condensation like it always is here when running.  Maybe a humidifier at the same time as the AC if the climate is really dry.  

I've always heard that damp mopping dust smears it into the surface?  maybe a central vac, they exhaust the air outside so they don't stir up dust inside.  

• Like 1

We lived in a desert for a while and we couldn't keep dust out for anything. Even with double paned windows, every day, an half inch of sand or more would build up in the master bedroom windows. I have never been so happy to move. I vacuumed our hard floors twice a day with a Rainbow to help keep it down, but it still was a mess.

• Like 1