Menu

Anyone had patch testing done for allergies?

wimseycat

Yes I've had it done! No, don't itch. A lot of it is mental - I just acknowledge the itch and move on, eventually the sensation ends up in the background. You can give a false positive or change the apparent strength of the reaction by scratching, which will mess up the accuracy of the result. Don't mess with it and do everything you can to distract yourself.

I did the scratch test in the office and it was horrible. The nurse even commented that she'd never seen someone react as quickly as I had. I can't imagine having to wait three days!

It's not the quick reactions they're trying to catch in the waiting period, it is delayed reactions. The quick one don't end up itching worse over that three days, I promise ;)

If I hadn't had the full time to develop my panel we would have missed several of my worst allergies, because they were slow to come on and took time to develop reactions. They're also he hardest to test for environmentally because the exposure and reaction are divorced by a period of time. It makes it tricky.

Like I said, don't scratch. Chew gum, paint your nails, read a book, but don't scratch :)

Yes I've had it done! No, don't itch. A lot of it is mental - I just acknowledge the itch and move on, eventually the sensation ends up in the background. You can give a false positive or change the apparent strength of the reaction by scratching, which will mess up the accuracy of the result. Don't mess with it and do everything you can to distract yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of that and no one at the office mentioned that to me! I was rubbing up and down a door jamb with my back and my daughter said I look like a bear. Lol. I will not itch, I will NOT itch... :)

Why you do this rather then the basic scratch test or blood test?

I did the scratch tests already which are more the regular food/natural allergens (pollen, mold etc...) I have had eczema my whole life and the allergist I am seeing thinks it is more likely contact dermatitis because the itching and rash manifests itself mainly on my hands, upper back, neck, arms and jawline. The NA80 patch test tests for most of the common chemicals, dyes and metals we would encounter in household products.

• Like 1

It's not the quick reactions they're trying to catch in the waiting period, it is delayed reactions. The quick one don't end up itching worse over that three days, I promise ;)

If I hadn't had the full time to develop my panel we would have missed several of my worst allergies, because they were slow to come on and took time to develop reactions. They're also he hardest to test for environmentally because the exposure and reaction are divorced by a period of time. It makes it tricky.

Like I said, don't scratch. Chew gum, paint your nails, read a book, but don't scratch :)

Yes they will check them after 48 hours and then again at 72 hours because of the delayed reaction that you mentioned. I already went out for coffee with a friend (distraction), maybe I will watch a mystery and take a nap. lol

Youngest DD had the three day patch but they ended up removing them after 48 because she was reacting so strongly to a couple of things that it was contaminating the rest. She was little - maybe about 5? They did the scratch test first then the 3 day about a week later.

Youngest DD had the three day patch but they ended up removing them after 48 because she was reacting so strongly to a couple of things that it was contaminating the rest. She was little - maybe about 5? They did the scratch test first then the 3 day about a week later.

Hopefully I can make it through the 3 days. From what I understand this is an expensive test and I would hate to have it be incomplete or repeat this!

I did the scratch tests already which are more the regular food/natural allergens (pollen, mold etc...) I have had eczema my whole life and the allergist I am seeing thinks it is more likely contact dermatitis because the itching and rash manifests itself mainly on my hands, upper back, neck, arms and jawline. The NA80 patch test tests for most of the common chemicals, dyes and metals we would encounter in household products.

I had the same testing done about 20 years ago for eczema. I remember the relief when all that tape was removed.

• Like 1

I am now sitting with 80 patches and tape galore on my back for three days. My main concern is having to itch and not being able to. Anyone have any been there done that experiences to share? This is the North American 80 patch test.

Thanks!

Sounds uncomfortable.

We did a blood test that came back with lots of information.

I hope you are being monitored if it runs that long.  If you have an intense reaction, they need to be able to do something fast. 

Edited by TranquilMind

The patches came off today. The assistant kept apologizing for hurting me when pulling off the tape and I was like, "nope this is great, this feels great, keep pulling." So far there are 4 definites and 4 possibles. Final check is tomorrow morning. The definites are: Propylene Glycol (this is a big one as it is in soooo many things), Benzoylperoxide, Cobalt and the Mercapto Mix (used in making rubber products).

Propolis is a possible which I am bummed about because it is essentially beeswax.

ugh, I once used a different sunscreen type stuff, and then used a tanning bed. (I was young and going to vegas and wanted to be less pale.) Let me tell you, I'm allergic to propylene glycol and had basically cooked it into my skin. UGH. I turned bright red all over. 

ugh, I once used a different sunscreen type stuff, and then used a tanning bed. (I was young and going to vegas and wanted to be less pale.) Let me tell you, I'm allergic to propylene glycol and had basically cooked it into my skin. UGH. I turned bright red all over. 

I was going to "like" your post to express my sympathy for what happened but then I thought "liking" the fact that you cooked propylene glycol into your skin seemed like an odd response! I am sorry - that sounds horrible.

I can't believe how many things P.G. is put into.  Even some lotions/conditioners my allergist and dermatologist recommended to me contain it. We didn't know I was allergic until today obviously but still you can 't even trust "sensitive skin" labels or dermatologist labels.

I can't believe how many things P.G. is put into.  Even some lotions/conditioners my allergist and dermatologist recommended to me contain it. We didn't know I was allergic until today obviously but still you can 't even trust "sensitive skin" labels or dermatologist labels.

This is SO true. Lots of sensitive skin things have it. I can tolerate it in certain products, sometimes, infrequently, but large amounts burn my skin. Especially if my skin is already irritated. 

By the way, when my skin will tolerate nothing else, this stuff is miraculous. (not the adult Aveeno products, those burn me, but this stuff is amazing.) http://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Baby-Soothing-Moisture-Fragrance/dp/B001FZGTJA

This also good, and has no propylene glycol, but not quite as soothing. It does seem to help my wrinkles look better than the Aveeno baby stuff, but if my skin is acting up at all it isn't as good. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CeraVe-Moisturizing-Cream-16-oz/13903362

• Like 1

I was going to "like" your post to express my sympathy for what happened but then I thought "liking" the fact that you cooked propylene glycol into your skin seemed like an odd response! I am sorry - that sounds horrible.

I can't believe how many things P.G. is put into. Even some lotions/conditioners my allergist and dermatologist recommended to me contain it. We didn't know I was allergic until today obviously but still you can 't even trust "sensitive skin" labels or dermatologist labels.

You may have better luck with straight oils and soaps, or handmade creams and cosmetics off places like Etsy - even bulk ingredients off Mountain Rose Herbs. Most of the smaller batch producers don't use PG but almost anything on a shelf uses it. So maybe keep your family using the cheaper and easier to find products and switch yours over to lovingly handcrafted by dirty hippies? ;)

You may have better luck with straight oils and soaps, or handmade creams and cosmetics off places like Etsy - even bulk ingredients off Mountain Rose Herbs. Most of the smaller batch producers don't use PG but almost anything on a shelf uses it. So maybe keep your family using the cheaper and easier to find products and switch yours over to lovingly handcrafted by dirty hippies? ;)

Haha how did you know about soap-making hippie next door neighbors?

Is this the part of my life where I just start slathering myself in coconut oil?