Menu

Typing program - which one?

El...

Has anyone used Typing Instructor for Kids (Platinum)? 

I used Mavis Beacon when I was a kid, but I read that it is glitchy and doesn't lead you smoothly to the more advanced lessons.  On a cheap program we had before, Dd just did the same first lesson over and over.... I think she needs something more easy-to-play.

DD9 will be running it on a Windows 7 computer.   

Thank you! 

My 3 girls use it. They love it and it's working well. We used an older version for the last 2 years and just ordered the newer one from Amazon. It has different games on this one so they are excited all over again about it. And as the previous poster said, you can adjust for different levels. They take a skill test and suggest where to begin.

• Like 1

We haven't had any problems with Mavis Beacon being glitchy. My kids really hated Typing Instructor, though. They felt like there were too many gimmicks and games to wade through in order to just get to the typing lessons. They have preferred MB since it's more straightforward, but some kids might prefer the themed aspect of TI.

• Like 1

We haven't had any problems with Mavis Beacon being glitchy. My kids really hated Typing Instructor, though. They felt like there were too many gimmicks and games to wade through in order to just get to the typing lessons. They have preferred MB since it's more straightforward, but some kids might prefer the themed aspect of TI.

This.

My middle kiddo also struggled with the timed aspect and got very frustrated.  The edition we have let me lower the time, but not eliminate it entirely.  We only just started with Mavis Beacon, but so far, so good.

• Like 1

Oh, that's interesting!  Hmmm.

We started with Dance Mat, then went on to Typing Instructor for Kids. My kids really liked it.

They had no problem with the timed aspect, but that's exactly what we needed from the program. They'd already learned all the basics from Dance Mat, and what I needed from a program at that point was a way for them to improve speed/accuracy. TI's timed games were a fun and painless way for them to achieve that.

Age probably also matters. My older two were 9/10 when they learned, and younger one 6/7 (I'd planned to hold off on teaching the younger one, but she *had* to do what her sisters did...)