Menu

Projected Transcript

**UPDATE IN POST 14**

Would you more experienced moms take a look at my projected transcript for DS1? I'm having a mild panic attack looking at it, bouncing between thinking I'm missing something and thinking it's too hard. He's in 9th grade this year. It's a possibility to count last year as 9th and graduate him early, if that would at all benefit him.

This kid is definitely headed for a math or science degree, and with his aptitude for math, I want to do the best job I can to pick courses that will get him into the best possible college. Yes, I realize I'm stressing myself out, probably needlessly.

Before High School:

Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2

Chemistry, AP Biology

Arabic 1, Arabic 2

Latin 1

---------

8 credits

9th Grade:

Precalculus 1cr

AP Chemistry 1cr

Ancient Greek History 1cr

Ancient Greek Literature 1cr

Rhetoric 1 1cr

Advanced Grammar .5cr

Latin 2 1cr

Arabic 3 1cr

AP Psychology 1cr

PE .5cr

---

9 credits

10th Grade:

AP Calculus BC 1cr

AP Physics E&M and Mech 2cr

Ancient Roman History 1cr

Ancient Roman Literature 1cr

Rhetoric 2 1cr

Latin 3 1cr

DE Arabic Fall 1cr

DE Arabic Spring 1cr

AP Computer Science 1cr

PE .5ce

------------

9.5 credits

11th Grade:

DE Math Fall 1cr

DE Math Spring 1cr

DE Lab Science Fall 1cr

DE Lab Science Spring 1cr

Medieval History 1cr

Medieval Literature 1cr

Rhetoric 3 1cr

AP Latin 1cr

DE Arabic Fall 1cr

DE Arabic Spring 1cr

PE .5cr

----------------

10.5 credits

12th Grade:

DE Math Fall 1cr

DE Math Spring 1cr

DE Lab Science Fall 1cr

DE Lab Science Spring 1cr

Modern History 1cr

Modern Literature 1cr

DE Latin Fall 1cr

DE Latin Spring 1cr

DE Arabic Fall 1cr

DE Arabic Spring 1cr

PE .5cr

---------------

10.5 credits

Edited by MomOfABunch

This sounds like a VERY heavy load.

9+ credits for hard academics, without any less strenuous electives in the mix, translate into 9+ hours of school work per day. 

12 hours of DE courses per semester is a full time student load. At our university, DE students would not be permitted to enroll in that many classes. 

The senior year is extremely heavy. 4 college courses, including math and science, will come to about 14 credit hours, which means 42 hours per week for these classes alone. that does not include the home taught courses. he will need a LOT of time for college applications, especially if he is shooting for highly selective schools. 

If your student is on board with that and pushing to do all this out of his own volition, I would counsel him  and watch carefully for burn out.

Under no circumstances would I push a student who is not self motivated to take on such a giant course load.

Make sure he has enough time to pursue extracurriculars, and has unstructured time to just hang out, relax, think.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Ok, that's what I was thinking. We can definitely tone down 11th and 12th. He's very self driven for math especially.

By the time I get up in the morning, he's usually put in an hour or two on math.

For History and Lit, he's doing Roman Roads which makes it feel like 2 courses for 1. And we speak Arabic at home, so that course isn't really as time consuming for him as it would be for a non-native speaker.

How do others handle math, science and foreign language once they start dual enrollment? Math and foreign language at least aren't things you should take a whole semester break from, right?

I always think it is difficult to answer these types of questions because we do not know your child as well as you do.  But, my concern would be that for ANY student, this will leave little time for anything outside of academics.  The AP classes (especially if taken online) will generally take about 12 hours/week (I am not sure about DE, but I would estimate about the same).

I would think he would want to have math every semester, but I do not see a problem with skipping a science fall of his senior year to free up some time for college applications (applications are VERY time consuming!).  He will have way more science credit than he needs, and taking a science credit spring semester would be fine.  

I agree with regentrud:  watch for burn-out, and make sure your son has down-time, as well as time to pursue extra-curricular activities.  He does not need such a rigorous schedule to be competitive, even at the Ivy league schools.  They would much rather see a student with passion in a given area using that drive to make a difference in the community (doing research at a local university, starting a non-profit, etc).  However, if your son is extremely bright (which I am sure he is) AND can absorb information easily and works at a fast past, this load may not be too much for him.  I think this year will allow you to see how well he is handling the course load and you can adjust if needed.

• Like 1

OP, would you mind sharing (via PM if you prefer) the name of the DE school with all that Arabic? I'm wondering if it appears on my dd's short list for college. She will have finished al-Kitaab part 2 before beginning her freshman year, and one of our major concerns is running out of Arabic classes.

How do others handle math, science and foreign language once they start dual enrollment? Math and foreign language at least aren't things you should take a whole semester break from, right?

When he finished Calc 1 and 2 via DE, DS took a semester's break and immersed himself in a math research project. The following semester he took two math DE courses but no lab science or language. This semester, he is skipping math again (and continuing on the research project outside of school hours) to focus on lab science and two literature courses and language. He has a lot of input in the courses he selects and I try to keep it that way because it means that he is so much more invested in his learning journey vs just accumulating high school and DE credits. He will have a balanced transcript but not at the expense of time for extra curriculars or joy of learning. :001_smile: DS does okay taking breaks between language/ lab science. It doesn't take him a long time to make up for lost time in those areas and in some cases, it does wonders to his interest level to take the break. Just one PoV!

• Like 1

When he finished Calc 1 and 2 via DE, DS took a semester's break and immersed himself in a math research project. The following semester he took two math DE courses but no lab science or language. This semester, he is skipping math again (and continuing on the research project outside of school hours) to focus on lab science and two literature courses and language. He has a lot of input in the courses he selects and I try to keep it that way because it means that he is so much more invested in his learning journey vs just accumulating high school and DE credits. He will have a balanced transcript but not at the expense of time for extra curriculars or joy of learning. :001_smile: DS does okay taking breaks between language/ lab science. It doesn't take him a long time to make up for lost time in those areas and in some cases, it does wonders to his interest level to take the break. Just one PoV!

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing this. The math research sounds interesting. Not being from a math background myself, what is math research?

Also, I was wondering, what comes after AP Latin? It seems a shame to spend 4 years learning and enjoying a language to just drop it.

I wonder though, where it is best to put his effort after he completes the traditional HS math and science sequence? Math is easier, I suppose because once you finish one course, you move to the next. He waffles between wanting to go into something mathy or something sciencey.

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing this. The math research sounds interesting. Not being from a math background myself, what is math research?

Also, I was wondering, what comes after AP Latin? It seems a shame to spend 4 years learning and enjoying a language to just drop it.

I wonder though, where it is best to put his effort after he completes the traditional HS math and science sequence? Math is easier, I suppose because once you finish one course, you move to the next. He waffles between wanting to go into something mathy or something sciencey.

Like science research, or researching Beowulf etc. He goes deeper into an area of math that appeals to him and spends a lot of time thinking about it, a lot of time guessing what could be possible solutions to problems posed on that topic, making tons of mistakes (without first realizing that's what they are) and then being humbled after realizing for himself that he was on the wrong path and taking another one instead. Rinse, repeat. It's basically lots of time spent thinking. He hasn't produced any papers but he does work with already produced papers to try to understand them better too. He has done this quite a bit pre-high school but started more formally on this journey by working on the AoPS Crowd Math problems.

For language, the colleges that DS is interested in offer higher level language studies and I reckon he will find something else to do there.

Bolded -- I'd love to know too! Mine is not interested in applying most of what he has learned other than into his thoughts. He is very obviously a theoretical guy.

After AP Latin he can either do 300-level DE classes, or if he needs to lighten up a bit in 12th, he could do Latin 5 at home. Bolchazy Carducci sells texts for lots of different Latin authors. Lukeion also offers Latin 5 via independent study if you want something more structured, with outside accountability.

What are your son's ECs? I would be concerned that his schedule is so heavy that he won't have enough time to pursue strong ECs — which are really what will make him stand out from other college applicants. One thing colleges often want to know from homeschoolers is how they used the opportunities available through homeschooling. Just doing the same courses that he would have done in school, except more of them at a faster pace, is not going to be nearly as impressive as showing that he used the time and opportunities to pursue a passion, do original research, or give back to his community in unique ways. You might also look into math and science competitions.

ETA: I would not list "Advanced Grammar" on a transcript that is already giving two credits per year in English. I don't see why a student in Latin 2 would need to spend an additional 60-75 hrs/yr on grammar, but if he really needs it, I would either fold it into the rhetoric credit or just leave it off the transcript.

• Like 2

After AP Latin he can either do 300-level DE classes, or if he needs to lighten up a bit in 12th, he could do Latin 5 at home. Bolchazy Carducci sells texts for lots of different Latin authors. Lukeion also offers Latin 5 via independent study if you want something more structured, with outside accountability.

What are your son's ECs? I would be concerned that his schedule is so heavy that he won't have enough time to pursue strong ECs — which are really what will make him stand out from other college applicants. One thing colleges often want to know from homeschoolers is how they used the opportunities available through homeschooling. Just doing the same courses that he would have done in school, except more of them at a faster pace, is not going to be nearly as impressive as showing that he used the time and opportunities to pursue a passion, do original research, or give back to his community in unique ways. You might also look into math and science competitions.

ETA: I would not list "Advanced Grammar" on a transcript that is already giving two credits per year in English. I don't see why a student in Latin 2 would need to spend an additional 60-75 hrs/yr on grammar, but if he really needs it, I would either fold it into the rhetoric credit or just leave it off the transcript.

You make a good point about the grammar course. He's signed up for the WTMA course (Rhetoric 1 also) and this is one that I'm not 100% on. He hasn't done much with English grammar since Rod and Staff 5 awhile back. I'm waiting for the textbook to come so I can look through it. DS and I agreed to do the first class (next week) and if it was easy to drop it.

As far as ECs, he does martial arts and is a 4th degree

black belt.

He has a small egg selling business for which he is solely responsible. He has about 2-3 dozen chickens that he did everything for: drafted coop plans, built their coops, fenced an area of our property and does the daily care for. He enlists the help of my other kids (sometimes the neighblr kids too!) and usually pays them in candy. This year he wants to add some milk goats into the mix. He joined 4H for a while last year but didn't really like it. He may try again this year.

He likes bikes too. He goes on long bike rides several times a week. He's always in the garage tinkering with his bikes. I can see him getting interested in fixing up cars as he gets older.

Thank you all so much for helping me think this through. I made some changes based on your feedback. Yes, I realize there's a lot of time still and things likely will change.

Revised Transcript Projection:

Before High School:

Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2

Chemistry, AP Biology

Arabic 1, Arabic 2

Latin 1

---------

8 credits

9th Grade:

Summer:

1st 1/2 AP Chem - Thinkwell (50% complete now)

RRoads Greek Hist & Lit (90% complete now)

Fall:

1st 1/2 Precalculus AoPS class

2nd 1/2 AP Chem

WTMA Adv Gr (Sept-Dec; may drop)

Spring:

2nd 1/2 Precalc

Review Chem for AP exam in May

Year Round:

WTMA Rhetoric 1

Latin 2 (yr round, self paced, 3-5 hrs/wk)

Arabic 3 (yr round, self paced, 3-5 hrs/wk)

Psychology (self study for AP; may drop)

PE .5 (stuff he does anyway)

---

9 credits

10th Grade:

Summer:

RRoads Roman History & Lit

1st 1/2 Calculus AoPS class (hoping there will be a summer course, otherwise start in fall)

Start Physics

Fall:

2nd 1/2 Calc

Physics

DE Arabic

Spring:

DE Arabic

Finish Physics

Review Calc&Physics for AP in May

Year Long:

WTMA Rhetoric 2

Latin 3 (self paced, 3-5 hrs/wk)