Menu

Good Morning Call

Legomom

Is anybody else watching this? It is on Netflix and is a romance/comedy set in Japan.  It is a Netflix original made in cooperation with Fuji television.  A friend of mine from Japan recommended it and said that while the storyline is improbable and silly (and cute), the Japanese culture shown is accurate.  My teens and I are enjoying it, but we are wondering how much is accurate about Japan and how much is just part of the show.

We have never been to Japan so it is interesting to see things like table heaters, milk pudding, ramen shops etc.

• Like 2

Just finished watching this and LOVED it. I'm hooked on Japanese shows now. Currently watching Atelier, also on Netflix. We haven't been to Japan either, but like your friend said, the culture depicted is pretty accurate. It's so much fun to know that someone else is watching it. :)

It is great to hear of someone else watching it! We watched the whole thing and loved it too!! Can't wait for the next season! I was hoping for a different person for Nao :)

We went to our local Asian market trying to find milk pudding like they have on the show!

We'll try watching Atelier!

• Like 1

Table heaters are real!  My sil lived in Japan for over 20 years, raised her 4 kids there. She's still be there but she passed away due to breast cancer.

But she always sent pictures of the kids when it was time to break out the kotasu. They would cuddle up together and eat dinner at the table.  I always thought if I got one I wouldn't move until spring, lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu

• Like 1

I'm watching it.  It's pretty well done.  Some J-dramas tend to be live-action anime but I really like the ones like this that are heartwarming.  Another one I really enjoyed was Wakamono Tachi which is about a family of grown siblings and their everyday life and troubles.  There are some really good ones out there. 

I mostly watch Korean dramas though because you can find them easier.

• Like 1

Adelier is a bit different. It's a drama and it's set in a lingerie store. I haven't noticed any strong language though like there occasionally was in Good Morning Call. As far as table heaters go, I've always wanted one. Are they safe? I've always pictured them to be a fire hazard or something that someone is going to bump against underneath the table and burn themselves badly. I burnt myself on a space heater once...OMG. I think after Atelier I'm going to have to switch over to Korean dramas, because the Japanese ones are so hard to find. Can't wait for season two of GMC!!

Table heaters are real! My sil lived in Japan for over 20 years, raised her 4 kids there. She's still be there but she passed away due to breast cancer.

But she always sent pictures of the kids when it was time to break out the kotasu. They would cuddle up together and eat dinner at the table. I always thought if I got one I wouldn't move until spring, lol

I learned about that from the Neko Atsume cat collecting app. :rofl:

Thank you for the recommendation! :)

Table heaters are real! My sil lived in Japan for over 20 years, raised her 4 kids there. She's still be there but she passed away due to breast cancer.

But she always sent pictures of the kids when it was time to break out the kotasu. They would cuddle up together and eat dinner at the table. I always thought if I got one I wouldn't move until spring, lol

Interesting to read about the table heaters! I would love to try one!

A lot of the language in Good Morning Call is just mis-translations. Most of the time they are using the work baka which means stupid or idiot not the words they are saying they are using.

Interesting! I was wondering about the accuracy of some of the translations.

Well, thank you for alerting me to this show.  I've been sick for the past few days, ran out of things to watch and remembered this thread.

First 30 minutes of the show was me saying, "I don't know if I can deal with this airheadedness for the entire series...."  But I know enough about current Japanese culture and anime to realize that it was deliberate, so I stuck it out.

End of first show:  "Ok, not bad.  I'll watch the next one....."

Three days later: I've now binge watched the entire thing, and I love it!! 

I also found it funny that words [mostly 'baka'] were translated into English swear words mostly in the first few episodes, but not so much in the later shows.

And I have to get my hands on one of those table heaters before winter arrives.

Off now to pester dh into bringing ramen home for me....

• Like 3

Well, thank you for alerting me to this show. I've been sick for the past few days, ran out of things to watch and remembered this thread.

First 30 minutes of the show was me saying, "I don't know if I can deal with this airheadedness for the entire series...." But I know enough about current Japanese culture and anime to realize that it was deliberate, so I stuck it out.

End of first show: "Ok, not bad. I'll watch the next one....."

Three days later: I've now binge watched the entire thing, and I love it!!

I also found it funny that words [mostly 'baka'] were translated into English swear words mostly in the first few episodes, but not so much in the later shows.

And I have to get my hands on one of those table heaters before winter arrives.

Off now to pester dh into bringing ramen home for me....

That is fun that you enjoyed the show--sorry to hear that you were sick though! Hope that you are feeling better now!

We also wondered about the swearing in the show-- it seemed a little jarring based on the context.

I wish we had a ramen shop nearby! And a place to try milk pudding!

Also, of course I have to ask: who did you prefer for Nao? I think I liked Issei best.

😊

Edited by Legomom
  • Like 1

That is fun that you enjoyed the show--sorry to hear that you were sick though! Hope that you are feeling better now!

Also, of course I have to ask: who did you prefer for Nao? I think I liked Issei best.

😊

I am feeling better - thanks!

I like Issei, too.  He did see like a better match, and much more ready for a relationship. Though I will admit that Uehara grew on me.  I have to hope that he will mature and get past the obvious baggage from his childhood.

Just finished watching this and LOVED it. I'm hooked on Japanese shows now. Currently watching Atelier, also on Netflix. We haven't been to Japan either, but like your friend said, the culture depicted is pretty accurate. It's so much fun to know that someone else is watching it. :)

You need to come over to the South Korean side :drool5:  Korean dramas are the best! In fact, we have a little social group right here on the WTM forums dedicated to Kdramas. 

Ok, so I'm done with Good Morning Call, I finished Atelier....and now I can't find anymore Japanese shows on Netflix....am I missing them? I tried really hard to get into Korean Dramas 'cause there's soooo many of those, but I just didn't like them as much.

Which K dramas have you watched because there are a lot of great ones and a good amount of mediocre ones? Also what sort of drama do you like? Romantic comedy, melodramatic? Family show? Mystery? Etc? I can give some recommendations that you may like. 

Look on Dramafever.com and Viki.com where you will find not only K dramas but J dramas too.

Well I tried Click Your Heart this past weekend, and really disliked it. I've heard Descendants of the Sun is good, but I'm not sure it's something I would like. I really like romantic comedy type drams. It really needs to have romantic elements to it for me to stay with it.

The following are some of my favorite K dramas with romantic comedy or dramas with romance in them in that the stories really evolve a couple with other elements thrown in:

Healer

Master's Sun (This one appears to be horror at first but really is not since all of the ghosts are friendly and need help and the story really is about the couple)

Lie To Me

Coffee Prince

Secret Garden

My Lovely Sam Soon

Fated To Love You (Korean version)

Emergency Couple

Warning some of these might give the appearance of a weak female with an arrogant man but the ones above have characters that grow if they appear that way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to add that I started watching a new Japanese rom/drama on Netflix this week. It's called Mischievous Kiss 1 (which is season 1) and there's a season 2...not sure if the show ends or if it was canceled. But I'm enjoying it. Not as much as Good Morning Call, but it's still pretty good. It seems a little sillier than GMC though....and I didn't fall in love with it at first sight...I had to watch 2 or 3 episodes before I really got into it. I hope they keep putting Japanese shows on Netflix....love it!

Edited by earthyfamily