Menu

My senior's first day at the B&M high school.

My always-been-homeschooled son has decided (with my trepidation and my support) to do his senior year at the local high school. Today was the first day. They were super accommodating and let us hand pick his classes, etc. (Having done his standardized testing through the school in past years was helpful in this, as we were familiar faces, and they knew he has stellar PSAT, etc, so they "want" his enrollment for their school, so that was helpful.)

First, it was awesome for him to come home at the end of the school day DONE. No haggling all day about X-Box vs. Nap vs. School. Just school!! And now he's done! With no homework (today)!

Second, dh asked the other day about what we needed to do about buying his texts this year. Last year we spent close to 3k on his 3 online APs plus books/lab supplies/etc. I cackled as I explained that the public school GIVES YOU ALL THE BOOKS. Woot! Woot!! 

Third, my son was pleased that he was the most proficient speaker in his Honors Spanish 4 class. Those live-tutor sessions over the years made a big impact. I was relieved that it appears the placement is appropriate since I totally guessed. 

He liked both his teachers and classes today. (They have a split schedule with odd/even days, and he has a study hall one period and a double period for AP Chem, so just 2 classes today and 3 on "even" days.) That's more than I can say for his feelings about me and our home schooling in recent years, so that's awesome. 

OK, now to the funnies . . .

1) He rode the school bus. We're nearly at the county line, so his was nearly an hour long ride with all the stops. He was awake, but clearly discombobulated, as he stayed on the bus PAST his high school . . . and rode on with the middle schoolers (shared bus) to their school. Oops. Bus driver made a stop back at the high school to deliver him (late). 

2) He went into the classroom adjacent to his AP Chem class and sat through the first 30 min of Honors Chem before realizing he was in the wrong room. When he went next-door, he was greeted loudly and enthusiastically by another homeschool friend (who attends the high school PT) as if she hadn't seen him in years (it'd been merely 14 hours since Robotics last night, lol)

3) At lunch, when he pulled out cash to pay, several students giggled at him as I guess they've been using a no-cash/bill-the-parents plan for many years, so cash at the lunch room is not done. 

All the staff and students were nice, and he already made some new friends and confirmed that there are lots of cute girls (one of his motivators to attend a regular school, lol)

So, anyway, I had huge trepidation about one of my kids going to a regular school, but he wanted to do this, and since one of my great fears about college was "can he get out of bed" and the other was "can he care about grades enough to get the GPA he'll need for med school" . . . and I agreed that a year in public high school will be a good way to resolve those issues before starting college . . . so, here he goes, and I am relieved to report that the first day went well. Only 160 or so more days to go! :) 

• Like 23