Menu

American History suggestions please

Mom28kds

I have a 4th, 5th and 6th grader this year. I want to do American History but these are my youngest and don't want to spend a ton of money. I'd like a christian world view. I'd like something that isn't real teacher intensive. I plan to do it with all 3 but just don't want it to be the majority of our work. What is your opinion of Notgrass? Is there something better that you would recommend? I was going to try to wing it with reading books and just reading through The Light and the Glory but I think they will get bored with me just reading TL&G the whole year. I'm thinking I need more of a plan haha.

Edited by Mom28kds

I'm doing a diy thing this year that sounds like that. It works for us. I read weekly or so from a spine, read daily from a lit selection to go with history and they have a large basket of reading to choose from for novels set in the time period, historical fiction and other textbook type books. We are working on it in units and moving on when we feel like it. We did something similar last year for the second half of world history. We do outlines and writing from the spine as well. I've never found a history curriculum I could use. We liked sonlight (and many of our book choices come from their lists) but the daily schedule and attempt to get 180 days of history in just stressed me out. This more relaxed yet structured approach is a better fit for me. Read good books. The end. :)

• Like 2

Just a heads up that Notgrass was pretty dry for us, but I'm not sure what I'd recommend to use instead for your ages.

For my 3rd grader, we're using the Maestro series of books and The Complete Book of US History as our spines, but that might be too easy for your 6th grader. When my kids were in 6th - 8th we've really enjoyed the History of US concise edition as a spine, but that might be too much over your 4th and 5th graders' heads. It's also not from a Christian worldview, but we really enjoyed the opportunities it gave us for discussion.

Maybe the Genevieve Foster books about Washington and Lincoln? They would get you up through the Civil War at least.

This probably isn't much help to you lol. Maybe someone else who's more knowledgeable will chime in. :)

• Like 2

I'm trying A Child's First Book of American HIstory.  I'm going Charlotte Mason style by having my DD read the chapter on her own, then write a short narration. (Sounds like you are looking for something that isn't parent intensive).  It is working well so far. The illustrations are gripping and the text is very good (we're only a few chapters in, though).  I have heard concerns from others about antiquated views of minorities / cultural dominance in these older texts. I plan to discuss these issues with my children as they arise. I think it's important that they understand that different world views exist(ed).

I don't know whether it might be too basic for your older ones.