Menu

AP Chemistry with PAH/ChemAdvantage questions

After some reshuffling, DS is now signed up for this class and is very excited to start. Anyone else here with DC in the class?

The ChemAdvantage site lists supplies (other than textbook/ kit). For those whose DC have taken this course,

1. How important is it to have the composition notebook? (I'm trying not to buy anything more than I have to). Can he use any notebook as long as it has >100 pages?
  2. Were the index cards heavily used?
  3. Any advice on pacing out his work? (he probably won't use the suggested planner even if I buy one).

Thank you!

• Like 1

It has been a few years since my son took the course, but I think I can help you.

No, from what I remember, it is not necessary to have a separate composition book. It seems that this notebook was for lab reports...with the intention of having a nice, finished product at the end of the year that your son could show to colleges IF they required proof of lab work to award AP credit. If you think this is a possibility, then have your son keep the notebook. I think my son began the notebook, but then after a few labs, he resorted to typing his reports on the computer...which he much prefers. When my son took the course, students did NOT turn in lab reports. Instead they took online quizzes on their lab results.

Again--my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the index cards were used as a memory tool for learning polyatomic ions and such. Your son could do this in anyway that he finds useful...so no, I don't think the index cards are absolutely necessary. I seriously doubt my son used them, but I don't know for sure.

The course assignments were paced rather well and clearly communicated, so I don't think your son will need any hints there. The only thing that comes to mind is to plan a significant time slot for big tests and labs. Some of the labs took more than an hour.

My *only* quibble with this course was that all the components of the outrageously expensive lab kit were not used (and we were not allowed to buy just components---I already owned a large portion of them). But my son took the course during a bit of a "changeover" year when several of the lab assignments were changed mid-course. Hopefully, the lab kit has been updated since then. My son felt very well-prepared for the AP exam and made a 5 on it. His university has awarded him 8 credit hours for that score, so I guess the lab kit was worth it! ;-)

Hope that helps! Jetta

• Like 3

My *only* quibble with this course was that all the components of the outrageously expensive lab kit were not used (and we were not allowed to buy just components---I already owned a large portion of them). But my son took the course during a bit of a "changeover" year when several of the lab assignments were changed mid-course. Hopefully, the lab kit has been updated since then. My son felt very well-prepared for the AP exam and made a 5 on it. His university has awarded him 8 credit hours for that score, so I guess the lab kit was worth it! ;-)

Hope that helps! Jetta

Thanks so much Jetta, this definitely helps! I know, the lab kit is just crazy expensive since we also have so many chemicals already at home. But I went ahead and bought it anyway. :mellow: At least we know now what to expect. Thank you again!

Hi Quark!  DS17 will be taking this course, also.  

My oldest took it years ago; I can't recall much about the details.  Sorry.

Just wanted to give you a shout out, since our boys will be in the class together.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: So glad to know! It's always good to have fellow boardies in a class!

• Like 1

After some reshuffling, DS is now signed up for this class and is very excited to start. Anyone else here with DC in the class?

The ChemAdvantage site lists supplies (other than textbook/ kit). For those whose DC have taken this course,

1. How important is it to have the composition notebook? (I'm trying not to buy anything more than I have to). Can he use any notebook as long as it has >100 pages?
  2. Were the index cards heavily used?
  3. Any advice on pacing out his work? (he probably won't use the suggested planner even if I buy one).

Thank you!

Dd is taking the class this coming year, quark. :)  I know, I know - why is a former AP Chem teacher enrolling her kid in an outsourced AP Chem class? :D  Because since they changed to the new curriculum, I haven't sat down and really gone over the new course and with my almost-full-time teaching schedule at the college this coming year, I figured it was better to have dd take the course from someone who is very familiar with the new curriculum so that I can just be a reference/tutor if she needs me. :)

So happy to know that there are some WTM kiddos in the course! :)

To answer your questions - I don't know. :D  I do know that I've emailed Mr. Moskaluk a few times with questions and he has been VERY quick to get back to me so you could email him and see what he says.  :)

If anyone wants to share the names of their kiddos in the course so that the kids can say hi to one another, you're welcome to PM me. :)

• Like 3

To answer your questions - I don't know. :D  I do know that I've emailed Mr. Moskaluk a few times with questions and he has been VERY quick to get back to me so you could email him and see what he says.  :)

If anyone wants to share the names of their kiddos in the course so that the kids can say hi to one another, you're welcome to PM me. :)

Hurray!!!

I am with you Connie. I'm an English major but DS is outsourced for English too and will also take PAH AP Lit&Comp this fall. :laugh:

Mr. Moskaluk has been wonderful! He sent me a copy of the syllabus within hours of asking (for my course descriptions). I didn't ask him about the notebook and cards since we have already decided not to use them (we have some extras of each at home anyway just in case DS changes his mind!).

I'll PM you DS's name! :laugh:

• Like 2

My youngest just finished his class this past school year.

Peter Moskaluk is hands down THE BEST science teacher ever and I feel sorry for every single student in this world who didn't have him for chemistry.

My kids just used a binder. They did not use notecards, we have a app for that. And we didn't bother with the formal lab book since mine aren't going into science fields.

Mr. Moskaluk also has his own study guides/notes that he gives to his students. Each of my kids printed them all out and saved them. Make sure your son does this in a timely manner because they are passcoded and only available for a limited time. I think a great deal of Mr. M's work has been plagiarized and stolen so he has to do this.

And don't fall behind. Keep up with the work, do not put it off.  

• Like 3

Quality Science Labs had to delay shipping our kit out. Apparently they are super busy. I was told that they hope to ship this out next week. I know that the AP Chemistry schedule takes this into account and labs only begin the first/ second week of September. Just a heads up to those who might be considering registering for this class.