Menu

What Math?

How can you assess the math knowledge for a child? And also, how do I know what math to use next? She's a bright girl, easily bored, so I can't decide if she knows nothing or everything. :) She's 11 and I literally can't decide what we should do next. She's completed MM 5 but didn't really like it.

I would love a computer option but not TT.

Help me. Please.

Is she ready for Pre-Algebra? If so and you are interested in something on the computer you could look at Derek Owens. You can do the full course where he grades for you or you can do what I'm going to do (recommended by someone here). You get access to all the materials and videos but you correct the homework and tests yourself. It's 1/2 the price. 

Maybe have her look at some of the aops prealgebra videos (here is one my kids loved, though I can't say they ever really used the videos for actual learning purposes; they enjoyed watching Richard anyway) and Alcumus.  Does she like to puzzle through things?  For a bright, easily bored student who just completed MM5, AoPS would be my favorite choice, though it's challenging and has a unique style (lots of threads on it).  Just teach negative numbers first if she didn't have that already.  I like MM but AoPS is much more fun than MM.

A typical child who has just completed MM5 (assuming you're using the revised edition) would likely NOT be ready for pre-algebra. There is a 6th grade level which comes before MM7, which is pre-algebra.

I would be inclined to finish the elementary curriculum before switching publishers just before or just after pre-algebra. Someone else suggested Derek Owens and I second that recommendation.

• Like 2

Derek Owens is a good computer option - starts with prealgebra.

AoPS is great for a bright kid that needs to be more challenged in math - Alcumus is free and gives you a taste of AoPS style problems.

I agree that she needs to finish out elementary math before moving to either of these options. I also agree that MM is boring.

If she's not ready for pre-A yet, then you could look at Beast Academy 5. Despite the "5", it is the level meant to lead into AOPS pre-A. And it is definitely not boring. It is not a computer option, but it is self-teaching, with excellent step-by-step solutions in the back.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 1

I have a girl who's really hard to place, because she doesn't tolerate too easy or too hard. I am really liking Aleks Math for her. https://www.aleks.com/independent

We are still in the honeymoon phase, but I love how the program evaluates what they know and keeps them on a topic only until they achieve mastery. DD14 jumped in halfway through algebra, and I have yet to hear any complaints about how she already knows this stuff. She just gets on the computer, does her work (with occasional questions) and I get a weekly report emailed to me.

You can do a free 48-hour trial, which is enough to do a placement test and get a feel for how the program works and if it will work for you.

Edited by TKDmom