Menu

Becoming an Architectural Engineer ... please, some guidance

Hello Everyone!

I posted this on the 6th-8th grade forum, but was kindly encouraged to post here as well. Hoping for a little hand-holding. .......................................................

My 8th grade son is interested in becoming an engineer. He LOVES architectural stuff, but also has a strong interest in mechanical engineering as well.

I haven't done any STEM related courses with him other than math through AoPS. I'm finding a lot of computer science and robotics type stuff available for him in our area, but not drawing/drafting/3D design type courses. There is an Arduino Class being offered at our co-op, but I'm not convinced that's the best use of our time if he's interested in Architecture (though for mechanical engineering it might be I just don't know). I feel confused. I know he needs to take advanced courses in math and physics. I'm trying to figure out that one very cool class/subject he could take this year that will give him vision & perhaps goals for his future. 

Thank you for the advice and help in advance!

Michelle

Has he considered civil engineering?

Yes! He loves building things ..... his dad is a General Contractor so son likes to "work with dad" every chance he gets. He also has a very BIG interest in cars, trucks....basically anything that has an engine. He seems to have the ability to notice the details in the design of whatever it is he's looking at. He notices minute stuff that goes right over my head and seems to have a photographic memory of it. I don't know what to do with him... *sigh*

Hopefully this post won’t overwhelm you even more.  I happen to be out on a project site today and the contractor is having lots of equipment problems so I’ve had lots of down time and have been occupying myself by writing this.  Specific “recommendations†are in the last three paragraphs if you want to skip most of this.  :svengo: 

Designing/building a structure is a complicated, iterative process that involves a lot of different specialties.  As an example, here is a simplified process for designing/building a large office building:

1.  A map of the project area showing all existing features is created by a Surveyor.    

2.  Using local building codes and the surveyor’s Map, a Civil-Site Engineer figures out where the best spot for the building is, how big the building can be (eg. footprint and height), how big of a parking lot it needs, and a general idea of how stormwater runoff will be managed onsite.

3.  An Architect designs the building layout (eg. the shape of the building, where the doors/windows will be, where the rooms/hallways will be, how many bathrooms are required, etc.).  The Architect will also decide what the “facing materials†will be (eg. brick, stone, stucco).

4.  A Civil-Geotechnical Engineer will study the history of the project area and go out and sample the soil/rock below the surface to come up with design parameters for the Civil-Structural and Civil-Site Engineer to use in their analysis. Man-made materials like steel and concrete have “known†properties … the ground and what lies beneath it is highly variable and so a site-specific investigation is required.  (This is part of what I do for a living :seeya: )

5.  The Civil-Site Engineer finalizes the site plan:  the exact location of the building, shape of the parking lot and the line striping, the entrance/exits to the property, the grading/slope of the site, the stormwater management system (eg. the size, shape and location of inlets, piping, storage basins etc.), where the utilities (water, gas, electric) will come onto the site. 

6.  The Civil-Structure Engineer designs the “bones†of the building … the columns/beams along with their connections, roof trusses, how the walls will be constructed (eg. wood, concrete block), the floor slab, etc.

7.  The Civil-Structure Engineer and the Civil-Geotechnical Engineer work together to design the foundations.  For a simple shallow foundation, the Structural Engineer does most of the design, for a more complex deep foundation the Geotechnical Engineer is more involved.  (This is the fun part of what I do for a living :hurray:)

8.  A Mechanical Engineer designs the heating/cooling system.  What size and how many heating/cooling units, the size/location of conduits/vents, etc.  I believe (but am not sure) the Mechanical Engineer also designs the plumping system. 

9.  An Electrical Engineer designs the electrical system for the building. 

10.  A Landscape Architect designs any new plantings, gardens, etc.

11.  Once all of the above is completed, the Architect and/or Civil-Site Engineer create a bid package, including all of the drawings, specifications, and contractor documents.  Then they send it out potential contractors.

12.  The contract is awarded and construction begins.  Large projects are usually lead by a Construction Engineer/Manager.  This person (or usually a team of people) has many tasks:  They come up with the project schedule (this is highly complex given that things have to be built is a specific order by specific trades and can be affected by weather, material availability, etc.); They make sure the contractors are following the plans/specifications; They oversee the budget/payment of contractors; The manage change-order requests (no plan is perfect and there are always changes once construction is underway); and lots of other things.  The Construction Engineer is onsite full-time, working out of a trailer, while all of the people that worked on the design of the project only occasionally visit the site during construction to make sure things are being built according to their plans (This is the frustrating part of what I do for a living :banghead: ).

OK, that is probably a bit more information than you need, but my point of listing all of that out is to show you that there MANY different paths your son could follow and still be involved in “the building of things.† At this early age, I really would not worry about focusing on one particular area, or finding that perfect class. Get the basics in and then let him have fun exploring different areas and finding out what interests him the most.  The Arduino Class sounds like a wonderful experience, regardless of his future career choice.  Even if the specific topic (i.e. mechatronics) isn’t related to his future career choice, there are valuable skills that can be learned … eg. teamwork, design, creativity, etc.

For a future engineer, my standard high school course recommendations are:

• 4 years of English (do NOT underestimate the importance of writing/communication)
  • 4 years of math (including Pre-Calculus, preferably through Calculus)
  • 4 years of science (chemistry and physics are a must, biology is somewhat optional depending on field of interest; environmental science or geology could be useful for a future civil engineer)
  • Min 1 year of Computer Science (yes, even for future Civil Engineers)
  • 3-4 years of social science (they will have to know how to take timed essay tests and write a research paper)
  • 2-4 years of the same foreign language (because most colleges look for this)
  • 1-2 years of fine arts (again, because most colleges look for this)

For a future architect, I would ad in (or replace the computer science classes with) studio art classes that focusing on drawing/sketching.  Almost all architecture programs require a portfolio submission along with the application.  Drafting/CAD courses are also beneficial for both future architects and engineers.  However, this isn’t a “must-do.† Most college programs will have an introductory course the first year, and then students will pick up the rest through school projects and on-the-job experience.  

• Like 8

Best Robotics is another engineering competition.  http://www.bestinc.org

Our homeschool co-op participated last year.  We were part of a 32 team competition.  We came in #11 for our first year.  

This is hands on learning.  The students basically design and market a robot.  They learn how to fund raise, design a robot, program, do public relations, design a t-shirt, make a marketing booth, create a power point and create an engineering notebook.  It is a very good learning experience. They choose officers to lead different areas.  Since we are a small group, all students get to experience various parts of the project.

For drawing or drafting to do at home, try A Blueprint for Geometry by Brad S. Fulton.  It is a short book, meaning it will be covered in probably a semester or less. The student becomes a junior architect drawing floor plans and computing building costs.  It is suitable for middle schoolers

Another book to look at is Practical Drafting Melvin G. Peterman http://www.sixbranches.com/index.htm  or else the Complete-a-Sketch series also by the same author.  We only used Practical Drafting when ds was in 8th grade as part of a homeschool class.  DH, a mechanical & industrial engineer, says it's a "thing of beauty" and the book exposes students to drafting and the standards used.  Supposedly the student can learn on his own from the instruction in the book, meaning you don't need to know drafting.  :)

We never have used it but Google has: http://www.sketchup.com/.  It is free.  It might be something to play around with to get some exposure, have fun, and maybe learning will happen too.

I realize you are looking for a class.  That isn't totally necessary at this age.  Get a good foundation of math & science now & in the high school years.  Even just playing/building with Legos is good.  Many engineering schools have a first year "explore the majors" class to help students decide their path.  Your son could job shadow different people in high school.  That helped my son decide that he probably doesn't want to do R&D nor work at a very small company where he is the only engineer on staff.  DH teaches at Design Engineering Technology at a private university.  He says best way to prepare is the foundation in math & science.  DH has also steered our son away from architecture.  When the economy is slow no one builds and architects aren't hired.  On the other hand civil engineers are still in demand.  Like pp Amy says there are many paths and an engineering degree will, imho, your make ds more marketable.  Only you know your son and how best to steer him in a direction without crushing his heart.