Menu

Singapore Math-Teachers Guide vs Homeschoolers Guide

John Szarowski

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so hopefully I won't unwittingly break any etiquette rules! I searched back several pages and tried using the search function, but didn't come up with much.

Is anyone familiar with the differences between the homeschool guide and teachers guide? Is the teachers guide more robust or something? Any recommendations?

Background: This is our first year homeschooling, we'll be teaching our twin sons who both do well with math and should probably be doing more difficult work than what school assigned last year. They would be starting 2nd grade this year. The school uses Envisions Math from Pearson, which is supposed to be aligned with common core standards.

We plan on using using the US Editions of Singapore math, deciding on the levels after we have the boys try the diagnostic tests on their websites.

Any advice is much appreciated!

The teacher's guides assume that you have a class of 25 children to teach.  The HIGs assume you're teaching one on one.  If you need a guide, I recommend getting the HIG.

If you are interested in getting a better understanding of the Singapore approach before teaching your children, I highly recommend the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers.  After I read that, I never needed the HIGs again.

• Like 5

Yes...EKS is right. Definitely the hig. I read what swb wrote about it and she said a homeschool mom should choose the hig, and don't teach without it as it is rich with additional info on 'how' to teach the Singapore way.

It's very different than how we teach math and have taught math here in the U.S.

Not only that, it's loaded with oral practice of HOW to teach the kids laterally, picture ( bar models and the partsbto whole and whole to parts method). There's alot of info in thst hig.

Have fun with it, my son told me just yesterday , mom, I like spending this time with you and bonding :) awwww!

Welcome to the boards, they have helped me alot :)

Good first post! :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 2

Just chiming in to highly recommend the HIG!!  They are wonderful.  We've used them 1A-5B (standards edition).  6A ONLY has the Teachers Guide (as of last year anyway) .. and there is no comparison, the TG is not nearly as thorough or understandable.  The HIG are complete and offer multiple layers of learning.  For my oldest child we didn't start the HIG until 3B, thinking I didn't need them if I had the text and student book, the HIG offers SO MUCH MORE than the text.  

I started off using the HIG, and then found a very cheap version of the teacher's guide so I grabbed it.

It looks to me that the teacher's guide was developed with great thought to provide precise, step-by-step teaching guidance to teachers who are unfamiliar with the Singapore method of teaching math.

And then, it appears to me, the author of the HIG picked up the teacher's guide and streamlined it/modified it for home schooling parents, which wasn't so hard because the original guide really was written as if teachers had no prior experience with this method.

So I feel the HIG is more a "translation" of the original than something essentially different.

You couldn't go wrong with either, really.

• Like 1

I started off using the HIG, and then found a very cheap version of the teacher's guide so I grabbed it.

It looks to me that the teacher's guide was developed with great thought to provide precise, step-by-step teaching guidance to teachers who are unfamiliar with the Singapore method of teaching math.

And then, it appears to me, the author of the HIG picked up the teacher's guide and streamlined it/modified it for home schooling parents, which wasn't so hard because the original guide really was written as if teachers had no prior experience with this method.

So I feel the HIG is more a "translation" of the original than something essentially different.

You couldn't go wrong with either, really.

That's interesting. I have always used the Teacher Guides (U.S. version) and had no problem using them with one child. They are clear, easy to use, lots of mental math, reproducables, complete supply lists.

I was thinking of getting a HIG just to compare, as I am curious too.

It sounds as though either guide would be a good choice. Btw, I did not use the guide with one child. He just grabbed the books and absorbed the material too fast, lol. With other kiddo, guide is a big help.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I've really enjoyed the HIG and found it very helpful when my daughter was struggling with a few units last year, and handy on a day-to-day basis. I wouldn't spend more on the teachers guide if the HIG is available. I've not used it, but the HIG has helped with any extra explanation we've needed and the resources at the back have been more than adequate (mental maths, number charts etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by razzles
  • Like 1

That's interesting. I have always used the Teacher Guides (U.S. version) and had no problem using them with one child. They are clear, easy to use, lots of mental math, reproducables, complete supply lists.

I was thinking of getting a HIG just to compare, as I am curious too.

It sounds as though either guide would be a good choice. Btw, I did not use the guide with one child. He just grabbed the books and absorbed the material too fast, lol. With other kiddo, guide is a big help.

If you got the hig...you would see what everyone is saying.

It's different. The school TM assumes they've been through the recommended teacher training into the Singapore way if teaching.

California worked with the developers of Singapore and SM sent trainers to train the teachers in how to teach it. The methodologies and strategies Singapore uses.

There is no comparison . the hig shows we parents how to teach the Singapore way.

One could simply buy the books and teach in the same way we've been teaching in America and TOTALLY miss the mark.

It's not much more benefit than any math and...some would likely be left out all together BC the teacher would be left going...eh? Lol.

So, the tm was written in the assumption the teaching staff had gone through the Singapore training.

California did a really good and thorough job of partnering with Singapore to bring this to American schools in the same fashion it's taught in Singapore but...with more review . California wanted to leave some things out altogether. Singapore said. Uh huh. We wint seelk it to you or develop our curriculum fir you in that way.

So. Yes, the hig is completely different than the tm AND teaches the mom to teach it the way Singapore does.

And Singapore blows us away in math every year.

They worked hard to ensure teachers/parents all knew HOW to teach it.

So there's alot missing from the tm again, BC they assume the teacher in the classroom...has been through the training.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kat. That is very interesting, and I'll look forward to comparing them side by side. (Just to see which *I* prefer.) I've only glanced at the HIG, but never pored over it. As I said, both guides sound good.

I should add that I found the SM books on the Model Method, etc to be helpful. Not everyone would consider these enjoyable reading, but some of us love to sit down with math books, lol.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Thanks, Kat. That is very interesting, and I'll look forward to comparing them side by side. (Just to see which *I* prefer.) I've only glanced at the HIG, but never pored over it. As I said, both guides sound good.

I should add that I found the SM books on the Model Method, etc to be helpful. Not everyone would consider these enjoyable reading, but some of us love to sit down with math books, lol.

Ha-ha...so do me and hubby :) I LOVE Singapore . both boys do too.

They'd do it as long as I'd let them. Good thing cuz they nee lots of practice .

If you like math books, you'll love SM I think :)

• Like 1

Ha-ha...so do me and hubby :) I LOVE Singapore . both boys do too.

They'd do it as long as I'd let them. Good thing cuz they nee lots of practice .

If you like math books, you'll love SM I think :)

I DO love SIngapore. I've used it for about 10 years. Ds raced through it, grabbed the workbooks and intensive practice and did not want me to teach him. He just sort of 'got' the material the first time. Dd is many grades behind in math. We use Visible Thinking and Process Skills as supplements and go very slowly. Amazingly, SM works for both kids.

• Like 1

Ohhh. I'm sorry, I was thinking you were the OP.

Yea. We've found thst to be true too. My strong math student and my weak math student both donwell with it.

I think it's their systematic approach . it's just gonna teach every kid.

Look at their countries test scores lol.

It's the same way for my kids in language. Using a systematic approach... They both learn and they are very language delayed.

Both my boys are on the spectrum . they weren't getting math at all. I decided as a fluke to research it and try it. So glad I did.

They have flown through it. Well, flown through it for them :)

One guy , the stronger math student moves much quicker than the one who struggles more.

I fold in MIF with my one who struggles more.

Thst MIF hig is rich!

Edited by Kat w