Menu

Word games

Hello,

Is there a book or website for word games that one can play orally?  I like Peggy Kaye's Games for Reading and I tried a couple of those, but this child didn't seem to get it.  May have something to do with this child's speech problem. 

Thanks.

ETA:  I forgot to mention that this child is 7 1/2 years old. 

Farm Puzzles (Puzzlemania®): Highlights for Children: 9781629792026: Amazon.com: Books

I just got my ds this at walmart.  They have some others.  It has some of the hidden pictures, and ds likes the Highlights hidden pictures a LOT, making them a big hit.  The other pages are word puzzles like crosswords, things with hints, things you cross off to solve.  They're really sort of witty, and for where ds is I thought I might be able to do them WITH him and have them be within reach.  He looks at them on his own and can't, but with someone I *think* he can now.  

Some of the books are harder than others.  Our walmart had Farm (easiest), World (a little harder to my mind) and School (noticeably harder).  But they were all cute and they all had enough variety that you could make at least some of it work.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Thanks OhE.  I didn't know puzzlemania had word games in it as well.  I think I have a few laying around somewhere. 

This seems to be too hard for this child though.  Anything for a younger crowd?  IQ of 70 and 7 1/2 years old?  I say this because a couple of those games like Purple Penguin and the Rhyming game from Peggy Kaye's book were too hard for this child.  And I think those were geared for 1st grade or so. 

Oh yes, these will be hard then.  There's an easier version of the hidden pictures you could look for.  The ones in these books have the picture of the object and the words. It's harder when it has the words with no pictures.  And I think there's a version that has *less* pictures per page too.

• Like 1

What are you working on with this child currently? I'd base your games on whatever you're doing at the moment. When I tutored my (favorite ever) student with an IQ right around there, he could not rhyme for MONTHS. It took a lot of phonological awareness improvement before he could rhyme - one day it was just like.... boom!  Rhyming!  But until then, trying to play a rhyming game would have made no sense to him.

Some ideas:

1. Counting words in a sentence. You print out sentences of varying lengths and cut them into strips, one sentence per strip. The child has to count the number of words in the sentence. To make it a "game," you can take a few plastic cups and label them 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. with the number of words. The child counts the words, then puts the sentence into the corresponding cup.

You could also do counting sounds in a word (harder). FOX = f-o-x.... into the 3 cup! Yeah!

2. Same sound game! Print out a bunch of pictures (or buy picture cards) of different things. Spread out an array of cards and give the child one card (say, a fish). The child has to find other pictures that also start with /f/.  Or you could do it where the child has to separate the cards into piles (f here, d there, etc.).

To make the cards, you could start with just a couple letters that you're working on at the time, not the whole alphabet. You could repeat with finding the last sound (harder) and the middle sound (really hard!). Maybe save those last two for later on.

3. These games seem great to me!  http://www.readingrockets.org/article/phonemic-activities-preschool-or-elementary-classroom

I'm interested to hear what you're working on.... how are things going? :)

Edited by Mainer
  • Like 2

The most fun my boys have, and you could play it with her if she's the only one at home.

I make index cards and have them write phonics words were working on and use fly swatters lol.

I call out the word...they find it ( several words are in the floor at once) they have to find the correct word...first one to SWAT it with a fly swatters gets a point. At the end o the game whoever has the most points wins a treasure from the treasure box.

My boys LOVE fly swatters. Why? I cannot tell you lol. But it's alot of fun and has helped esp my 12 yo.

I use the words were working on in AAR and in the free Treadwell readers ( they are straight up phonics).

I also, put words on the fence, they staple them w a big stapeler and attach water balloons on the part you tie the ballons off, i have them staple the cards jus below the balloons ( they make the cards and fill the balloons and LOVE stapeling them to the fence lol. ) them writing the words helps with more exposure to the words and writing them.

Then I let them use an arrow( they're boys) you could also use rocks, anything that would break the ballons. For us, it's ot too. Using the forearm to finger, hand eye coordination . the one who gets more words right wins a treasure .

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Oh, another one they love and helps us with memory.

They make the trouble words on index cards. We go outside and have them bury them in the dirt, then I call out the word, the one who digs uo the most words...wins.

They have to remember what word is where. With our memory trouble , I started out with just a few words and built as they improved. :)

ETA:

I don't know about a book or specific website but have you thought about looking at Pinterest for them?

I don't know if they'd have any and I'm brand new to Pinterest, just might work tho and , not cost of a book lol :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

What are you working on with this child currently? I'd base your games on whatever you're doing at the moment. When I tutored my (favorite ever) student with an IQ right around there, he could not rhyme for MONTHS. It took a lot of phonological awareness improvement before he could rhyme - one day it was just like.... boom!  Rhyming!  But until then, trying to play a rhyming game would have made no sense to him.

Some ideas:

1. Counting words in a sentence. You print out sentences of varying lengths and cut them into strips, one sentence per strip. The child has to count the number of words in the sentence. To make it a "game," you can take a few plastic cups and label them 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. with the number of words. The child counts the words, then puts the sentence into the corresponding cup.

You could also do counting sounds in a word (harder). FOX = f-o-x.... into the 3 cup! Yeah!

2. Same sound game! Print out a bunch of pictures (or buy picture cards) of different things. Spread out an array of cards and give the child one card (say, a fish). The child has to find other pictures that also start with /f/.  Or you could do it where the child has to separate the cards into piles (f here, d there, etc.).

To make the cards, you could start with just a couple letters that you're working on at the time, not the whole alphabet. You could repeat with finding the last sound (harder) and the middle sound (really hard!). Maybe save those last two for later on.

3. These games seem great to me!  http://www.readingrockets.org/article/phonemic-activities-preschool-or-elementary-classroom

I'm interested to hear what you're working on.... how are things going? :)

These are great ideas.  Thank you!

I was with this child today.  I was going to see if this child could rhyme.  I was going to ask each kid to give me a word that rhyme with sat and see what this child says.  But I forgot!  We met at the zoo, so we all had a good time anyhow. 

I still don't know everything that this child can or can't do. 

This child has not cried or run away from me yet.  lol  So, that's a plus.  I did find out that this child told an adult that he/she didn't understand one of the books I read.  As a teacher that's good to know. 

I'm working on reading to him/her.  I'm hoping to play around with MUS and see how that goes.  I just got my package in today and will use them the next time I see him/her.  If this doesn't work for this child, I can always use if for my youngest.  So, all that money is not a loss.  I'm also printing out the books from CSMP and reading those. 

And of course I'm working on phonological awareness.  Just through play though.  Orally.  I think I'm going to do #2 on your list the next time.  Start probably with the first letter in his/her name.  I've been doing some research and I think LiPS or FiS would be good for this child.  But I can't put that much time and money on this yet.  I think your suggestions will do perfectly.  I still have to get that book you recommended. 

I'm just a supplement.  Trying to make this fun for this child because at the moment this child hates school.  According to his/her mother, one cannot even mention the word school work or lessons without some sort of crying involved.  I think rightfully so because the material is probably too hard.  I don't think this charter school is equipped to teach special education.  It's probably a fine school, but for special ed they want you to use the program like everyone else just at a slower speed.  I'm beginning to think that one needs programs especially tailored to the child with SN.  Like, Barton or Ronit Bird.  I don't know.  Just thinking out loud. 

Thanks for asking.  :) 

The most fun my boys have, and you could play it with her if she's the only one at home.

I make index cards and have them write phonics words were working on and use fly swatters lol.

I call out the word...they find it ( several words are in the floor at once) they have to find the correct word...first one to SWAT it with a fly swatters gets a point. At the end o the game whoever has the most points wins a treasure from the treasure box.

My boys LOVE fly swatters. Why? I cannot tell you lol. But it's alot of fun and has helped esp my 12 yo.

I use the words were working on in AAR and in the free Treadwell readers ( they are straight up phonics).

I also, put words on the fence, they staple them w a big stapeler and attach water balloons on the part you tie the ballons off, i have them staple the cards jus below the balloons ( they make the cards and fill the balloons and LOVE stapeling them to the fence lol. ) them writing the words helps with more exposure to the words and writing them.

Then I let them use an arrow( they're boys) you could also use rocks, anything that would break the ballons. For us, it's ot too. Using the forearm to finger, hand eye coordination . the one who gets more words right wins a treasure .

You are having way too much fun!  I will have to wait on these suggestions, but wow you are creative! 

Thank you.  I'm going to print this thread so I can use these ideas for later.  :)

Oh, another one they love and helps us with memory.

They make the trouble words on index cards. We go outside and have them bury them in the dirt, then I call out the word, the one who digs uo the most words...wins.

They have to remember what word is where. With our memory trouble , I started out with just a few words and built as they improved. :)

ETA:

I don't know about a book or specific website but have you thought about looking at Pinterest for them?

I don't know if they'd have any and I'm brand new to Pinterest, just might work tho and , not cost of a book lol :)

I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest.  lol  It takes too long for me to find anything.  But boy does it contain a bunch of stuff! 

I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. lol It takes too long for me to find anything. But boy does it contain a bunch of stuff!

Whew!!! I thought it was just me! Lol.

So glad you said that. I really have trouble electronicicslly anyway.

K...I feel better now lol.

• Like 1