Menu

Please help me find a catechism program for my kids!

(I don't know whether maybe this should be on the curriculum board instead? )

We are Episcopalians. The Book of Common Prayer has a catechism in the back. But it is just called the Catechism. I've seen programs that teach the Baltimore Catechism, and I imagine that there are programs for the other main ones, but I can't find Anything to teach this Episcopal catechism. I've googled, checked through online Episcopal bookstores, and asked around at church -- nothing. What I Want is something that would expound upon the answers provided in the catechism and make it more "child friendly." My dh says to just go ahead and use the Baltimore Catechism (he was raised Catholic, and I've been thinking about looking into becoming Catholic, but right now we Aren't, and it would be a Big Step), but I would like to find something for where we are now, if it exists!

Many thanks for any suggestions!

I used Studying God's Word Book B. Here's a link at Rainbow Resource: http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?sid=1202826179-1070011&subject=13&id=008975

Click the link for "more views" and then go to the bottom to preview the Table of Contents.

I'm not sure it's exactly what you are looking for, but I found it to be a great introduction to the catechism.

HTH!

I've used Luther's Small Catechism. Granted it is Lutheran and we are not, but it is a good straightforward text. A Presbyterian friend uses the Westminster Catechism and is happy with that. John MacArthur has a very child friendly book covering "the big questions" like prayer, salvation, heaven, etc that I have used before - sorry I cant remember the name. It is in a question/answer format.

A Teen's Guide to the Episcopal Church, Jenifer Gamber with my 2 dc. I highly recommend it. I bought it at a church convention; it was recommended to me by a young lady that attends Trinity Church, Boston. The downloadable leader guide is from Church Publishing which I haven't purchased. I have 2 copies of the book and we use it along with The Book of Common Prayer and our weekly church bulletin.

Because I have not run across an Episcopalian catechism "program" either. But I do have some resources to recommend. I teach Sunday School at our Episcopal church and I have fallen in love with the materials written by Gretchen Wolff Pritchard. Her web site is:

http://www.the-sunday-paper.com/

We use The Sunday Paper Junior which has an excellent parent's commentary on the back each week. I also own her small book, "Allelulia! Amen." It is an excellent description of all the parts of the holy communion.

I, personally would go through all of Gretchen's book materials first (they are not very expensive). That would give the kids a good foundation and understanding of church language. Then I would go through the catechism in the Book of Common Prayer, discussing each point with my children. This, combined with regular church attendance and participation in communion, would seem to me a good program.

For what it's worth, I would not teach a catechism that was not specifically Episcopalian. It is, by definition, what we believe in our faith, and there are many differences between the Christian denominations. I use many general resources that are not specifically Episcopalian, but with regard to the catechism I would stick to the BCP if I could not find a resouce that uses the BCP as a foundation.

I strongly agree with Dana -- I would stick with the catechism in the BCP, even when using general resources for other aspects of our faith. I, too, have been tempted by all of the materials out there for other catechisms, but they are simply not Episcopalian (or Anglican) -- and as you probably know, Anglican/Episcopalian Christianity isn't Reformed, isn't Roman, isn't simply Protestant, isn't simply Bible-based, ....

I decided to trust our catechism. We are working our way through the catechism Q&As in fits and starts. I might start it again now, for Lent. It's been the most interesting to do it at dinner, with my husband. Someone reads the Q&A, and we talk about it. As for adapting for the child's level, we started doing this when my oldest was 10 and my youngest 6. Just like our faith, the catechism can be discussed on a very simple level, or at whatever depth the family wants.

Gretchen Wolff Pritchard's stuff is GREAT (she is children's missioner for an Episcopal diocese in Connecticut). Her book Bringing the Gospel to Children is absolutely wonderful. (In addition to the core of the book, there is a section toward the end that is all about choosing a Bible for children (of various ages) has at least the essential stories, even a picture Bible, and doesn't add to the stories.) I also really like the Montessori-based approach to children's faith formation, Godly Play -- that's what I use in my Sunday school class. Anyway, none of these really addresses catechism study, and I have found the BCP catechism to be a great starting place, all by itself.

So, that's what I have to say about catechism study for Episcopalians :)

I don't know anything about this one, but it *sounds* like what you're looking for...

http://www.leaderresources.org/catechism

Eighteen weekly lesson plans based on the Episcopal Catechism found in The Book of Common Prayer designed to be used by K-Grade 3, Grades 4-6, Jr/Sr High and Adults. Each section includes bible study, reflection questions and age appropriate activities. Especially popular with small churches and those looking for intergenerational materials.