Menu

1st grade Singapore missing manipulatives

I bought the singapore math curriculum in hopes that it would be good for my first grader who did Math U See Alpha last year. When I am looking through I see them going into addition right away without picture representation or manipulatives. My child is lost. I am discouraged because I think the curriculum jumps into addition too fast. My child is visual she can not see the number in her head this requires abstract thinking. Math U See was perfect in this sense. What should I do!?? She does not know how to add without seeing pictures or using blocks yet. Can someone tell me about Saxon Math? Would this be better for my visual first grader? Or should I continue with Math U See as a continuation from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which version are you using and what do you have? I am looking at my teacher's guide for Singapore Math 1a (Standards), and the first lessons are a review of counting, numerals, and number words. All SM math lessons use concrete manipulatives and picture representation in first grade, and even when reviewing a topic you should go back to these if a child is struggling.

It also presents the idea of part/whole through multilink cubes, pictures, and number bonds before moving on to addition in Unit 3.

• Like 1

Are you using the HIG, or just the TM? SM is wonderful for teaching first with manipulatives (explained in the HIG), then pictorial representation (in the TM), and then abstract. If you don't have the HIG, I highly, highly recommend it.

Also, do you have hundreds blocks? I think those were the only manipulative we used for SM 1, and we used them throughout, they were especially useful in teaching the concepts that later lead to mental math ability.

• Like 3

Singapore math is great for a visual learner!

the premise of singapore math is

concrete -> picture -> abstract

The first step (concrete) is when you need the manipulatives. There are no instructions for this is the textbook and workbook; I recommend the home instructor's guide. Then you move to a pictoral representation (instructions also in the home instructors guide with cut-out cards etc) and at the end of this step you can open the textbook and learn from that. The final step is the abstract, which in first grade would be the symbols +, -, =.

If you don't have the HIG you are missing a huge component.

I found that after my first year I didn't need the HIG anymore because I understood the strategy.

• Like 1

I think I am

Just going to use my math u see blocks to go along with curriculum!! Did any of you have trouble! I think the curriculum is good but its too abstract for young minds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use whatever manipulatives you want or have! If there are some you're already comfortable using, stick with those. But the nice thing about Singapore is that those blocks are probably ALL you need for first grade manipulatives. If you get the HIG, there will be additional number dot cards you can cut out or copy.

SM actually spends a lot of time on the concrete and pictorial, and you can spend as much time with those as your learner needs before moving forward. But it is hard to tell if you just have the workbook. The purpose of the workbook is actually (I think) mostly to assess whether the child is understanding the concepts abstractly. It is not for teaching out of but is done when you've practiced the concept thoroughly in your lesson. You will need to and want to provide much more practice with your manipulatives and pictures, and then with extra mental math, depending on what kind of learner you have.

• Like 1

I am on pge 15 of the workbook.

We are using the Common Core version but my question would be the same either way - did you start with the textbook lesson and then move into the workbook for practice, or do you only have the workbook? Our 1st grade textbook is *full* of color pictures to do the addition problems but the workbook has fewer pictures (and is not in color).

I am just starting the Singapore Primary Math 1A U.S. Edition with my youngest child. I've already taught this twice before with my older two children, one of whom is a VERY kinesthetic learner. I have never bought special manipulatives for math. We have used megablocks (large legos) in place of uniblocks. We have used crayons, craft sticks, lego minifigures, action figures, hot wheels vehicles, fruit snacks, m & m's, etc etc. Whatever happened to be on hand. 

I do own the HIG for this level but I only bought it because I honestly struggled with understanding number bonds at first since I hadn't learned that way in public school. Once I understood the number bond concept, I didn't really *need* the HIG, but it is helpful for ideas for hands on when you are just getting started. I haven't used the HIG since the first time I went through the book with my eldest. I don't own any of the other HIG for any of the other levels and my eldest is in 6th grade this year (although in hindsight I don't recommend 5B-6B, but that's another topic).  

Our strategy has always been to start with the text book.  We read through and practice the textbook problems first with the pictures. Then reinforcing with hands on using manipulatives. We go back and forth between pictures and manipulatives as necessary until I feel they have a strong enough grasp on the lesson to move on to the workbook. With my older children being more independent now (3rd and 6th grade), I let them do a lot on their own and they only come to me with questions, which usually can be traced back to them trying to skip the textbook and go straight to the workbook. In my house doing the textbook work first (whether mentally, orally, or on paper) is mandatory.   

Anyway, Singapore Primary Math has been great for my kinesthetic learner and as a visual learner myself who is not strong in math, I highly recommend it and encourage you to give it a try. If your student struggles because there are no pictures or blocks explicitly included in the workbook instructions, I would say, just pull them out anyway. I see no reason that if the workbook says "2+6=" and there isn't a picture to go with it, that you can't just grab a box of crayons, and have her work it out that way, then write down her answer. I have also doodled in a several of my son's workbook margins or on scrap pieces of paper when they needed a pictorial representation and I didn't feel like using manipulatives.

Also, just a personal tip:  I have found my boys respond better if I put it into real life terms like, "If you have 2 pieces of candy and I give you 6 more pieces of candy, how many do you have?"  Now, they may still need to count the crayons, but for some reason, they get the concept or goal of the exercise more clearly when I phrase it that way. Hope that is helpful!

Edited by kamariden
  • Like 2