Menu

Best American Literature

My dd16 is taking a Rhetoric course with WTMA and is going to do APUSH at home using the Funda Funda course.  I would like her to also read some of the great American lit books throughout the year.  She has read some already, like "To Kill a Mocking Bird',  'Tom Sawyer', and several others,  but I would really like to focus on that this year and cover as many of the best that we can.

Can you give me some suggestions on what are your unmissable ones?  I have done a search but only found 1 thread with some listed.  If you are able to correlate the book to time frame in history that would be great.  Mostly though, I am interested in what you think is essential American lit for a high school student to read, or your favorites.  I would like this to be an enjoyable part of her year.  We will mostly read and discuss only as she will be doing a lot of composition in the Rhetoric class and also in history.

Thanks for any advice!

In no particular order:

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emily Dickinson

Louisa May Alcott

Audre Lorde

Flannery O'Connor

John Steinbeck

Maya Angelou

James Baldwin

Alice Walker

Eudora Welty

Harriet Beecher Stowe

William Faulkner

In no particular order:

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emily Dickinson

Louisa May Alcott

Audre Lorde

Flannery O'Connor

John Steinbeck

Maya Angelou

James Baldwin

Alice Walker

Eudora Welty

Harriet Beecher Stowe

William Faulkner

Thanks!

• Like 1

I like short stories, so I'll focus my advice there. :) All these are in the public domain, fortunately.

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving (1820) -- a collection of his short stories, including "Rip Van Winkle" and "Legend of Sleepy Hollow". One of the first American collections to become popular overseas.

​Tales by Edgar Allen Poe (1845) -- a good selection of his famous prose work such as "House of the Fall of Usher" and "The Purloined Letter".

​

​Tales of the Argonauts by Bret Harte (1875) -- Fanciful California tall tales that introduced the concept of the Wild West to the rest of the world.

​

​The Altar of the Dead, the Beast in the Jungle by Henry James (1909) -- a good retrospective of his style, including a new preface written before his death.

​​

Tales of the Jazz Age by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1922) -- Exactly as the title suggests! Includes "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", one of his better-known shorts.

• Like 3

I highly recommend The Chosen by Chaim Potok.

Here is the description from Amazon if you are not familiar with the book:

In 1940s Brooklyn, New York, an accident throws Reuven Malther and Danny Saunders together. Despite their differences (Reuven is a Modern Orthodox Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe), the young men form a deep, if unlikely, friendship. Together they negotiate adolescence, family conflicts, the crisis of faith engendered when Holocaust stories begin to emerge in the U.S., loss, love, and the journey to adulthood. The intellectual and spiritual clashes between fathers, between each son and his own father, and between the two young men, provide a unique backdrop for this exploration of fathers, sons, faith, loyalty, and, ultimately, the power of love.

Others I would recommend are

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (turn of the century focus on immigrants, industrialization especially the meat packing industry)

All the Kings Men by Robert Warren (southern politics 1920's-1930's)

You could also check out this list for other ideas

http://www.universitylake.org/Clue/CustomResources/UniversityLakeWi/Summer%20Reading%20American%20Lit%20(11th%20grade)%202014.pdf

• Like 3

These are the books my literature lover enjoyed most: 

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

• Like 2