Menu

Organization Tip for multiple kids and printing curriculum

scbusf

I had a brilliant idea today - although, in reality, I may be late to the party and maybe you all do this already! And if so, why has no one ever told me?  :laugh:

I have several electronic curriculum books that I needed to print for my 3 kids. 2 of my kids are using a lot of the same ones. I color-coded each kid by printing the cover on their color paper and then laminating it. I also gave myself a color!

It's so much easier to see which book belongs to which kid. And WHY have I never laminated the covers before? It really protects the cover and keeps it nice.

bc0f62fa-c716-4543-8efc-e936579dd638_zps

SaveSave

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 4

Welcome to the club LOL!

I mainly laminate covers these days. I laminate some cardstock to use as back covers. Sometimes I print a chart or other graphic needed for class on those (multiplication table for example).

Also you can download a bunch of free "binder covers" off teacherspayteachers.com and edit them with Name and topic and print and laminate those. Although a lot need powerpoint to edit. 

Like DD6's books this year have these covers: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Editable-Binder-Covers-Princesses-1254577

I can't believe people print, bind, and color code things like that!  They look great.  I just have never done anything like that. I just print and 3 hole punch and put in a binder. We can label the side of the binders for easy access off of the shelf.

The link for free editable binder covers might be fun though. I'll be checking that out. We usually just put a blank piece of paper in ours or the kids draw a picture or something. I'm going to check out the professional looking ones.

I can't believe people print, bind, and color code things like that! They look great. I just have never done anything like that. I just print and 3 hole punch and put in a binder. We can label the side of the binders for easy access off of the shelf.

The link for free editable binder covers might be fun though. I'll be checking that out. We usually just put a blank piece of paper in ours or the kids draw a picture or something. I'm going to check out the professional looking ones.

I like binding things because I like workbooks to lay flat. And I don't like the 3 rings being in the way.

At first I was putting covers on the Proclick notebooks I made, but in practice we were always leaving them open to the next lesson, so we never saw the cover after day 1.  Now I just make them bare bones; the first page is simply lesson 1 and when we are done with that we flip it to the back and are ready to pick up at lesson 2 with no flipping.

Wendy

WRT keeping the books open: I like to close them because they store better that way for us (vertical on a shelf), but I found that using a paper clip as a bookmark makes it very easy to flip to the proper page, and the bookmark never accidentally falls out.

What kind of folders and how many pages do they hold? I switch between using the Proclick and laminating, using the clear Proclick covers, and getting things spiral bound at Staples and paying extra for their front and back covers. The latter is my preferred option, to be honest.

I have used a variety- from the cheap Walmart folders on the back to school shelf to the Lisa Frank covers-both poly and the type that feels like super heavy paper with a waxy coating. I cut them in half at the fold, then take about 1/4" off the top so they fit in the pro lick hole puncher. I have used them with the 45 sheet spines as well as the 85 sheet spines. I am really not sure how many pages they count for toward the total. I have never bothered to count. I don't think it would be very much. The down side to folders is that you usually can't print the name on. You could print a sticker label though, or you could print on regular paper, then attach to cover with contac paper.