Menu

Has anyone read "The Trouble with Boys?" (more)

here's the link

...and is it worth a read to help in the structure of your homeschooling with your sons? To be honest, besides Dr. Dobson's book about boys, I haven't read much about them from an education standpoint.

If you have other "boy" related books that deal with educational issues, I'd enjoy hearing about them so I can add them to my "to read" list. I am specifically not interested in reading about multiple intelligences, as I have studied and applied that information professionally and in my homeschool. While I realize that many of these types of book with deal with the issue that boys learn in different ways, I don't want to read a book *just* about multiple intelligences. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Edited by mamato3 all-boy boys

I read "The trouble with boys" last month and loved the book!

Does it apply to our homeschooling? Not directly, but it really reaffirmed my belief in homeschooling and that my son would not be a good 'fit' for public school.

I would also say - I don't know how your homeschool environment is structured. I have already ditched a lot of handwriting, worksheets and rotate 'seat work' with 'hands on learning.' We also school outside a lot, where DS is free to move around. If you have a 'school at home' mentality, this book may be very useful to you.

The title of the book sounds negative, but it really isn't. I found the book to be very positive.

I have read many books on education and raising boys. This is probably one of my favorites. It contains, in one book, many of the ideas and studies that I have read in numerous other places. I liked having that info contained in one book and read together. It really cemented things I have read here and there, if that makes sense.

Also, I don't know about your life, but I have many friends and neighbors coming to me for advice. They know that we homeschool. They have boys that are struggling with public school and the moms are not sure what to do or where to go for help. The subtitle of this book is something like 'how parents can work with the schools.' I have recommended this book to three mothers of boys now and all have come back and said how much they enjoyed it and how much it helped them. I think this is a good book to recommend to people w/children in the system.

That all said - I skimmed the last few chapters, which were more geared toward older children and children in urban schools.

Thank you for the suggestion of "The war against boys." I have not read that book.