Menu

teen thyroid biopsy

Tree Frog

I have a teen who will be undergoing an ultrasound thyroid biopsy this week and have a few questions about it for those of you in the know.

1. What is the procedure? One woman told me she had to keep her head tipped back during the entire procedure and the neck spasms afterwards were the worst for her. She also had a breathing tube inserted to keep her airway open, so her throat was very sore. Is this a standard procedure for thyroid biopsies?

2. The teen in question has a job and is taking the day after the procedure off. Should we plan additional days off? The teen works on the front line of a fast food restaurant.

3. Is there anything we can do prior to the procedure to help make the teen more comfortable during the procedure? I'm thinking something like ibuprofen or acetaminophen given an hour prior to the procedure. 

4. Do you have any other ideas, tips, suggestions, thoughts you could share? I think we're looking at the possibility of lymphoma; there is a family history of blood cancers and the nodule grew within the last 6 months. We won't meet the endocrinologist until an hour before the biopsy; I pushed to have the biopsy scheduled as soon as possible. Any questions I should ask her?

Thank you for any help you can offer. My teen is anxious and, while I don't tend to worry, I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Sorry I don't have much practical advice but want to send (hugs).

Maybe call the place ahead of time and ask for a nurse consult to discuss what will happen, if you can't talk to the doctor sooner. They probably have someone there who can talk to you.

If it is a needle aspiration biopsy, she will be sore for maybe 2 days. During the procedure she will be supported by pillows with her neck tipped back to make accessing the thyroid safer and easier for the surgeon. She won't have any contrast and they will numb her and use an ultrasound to guide them.

I personally would ask that she be put under. I was. It's really not a big deal. I have it done at the dentist all the time. :) There is no reason why she needs to be awake.

At the very least, I'd ask your doctor for a prescription to help her relax (Valium or similar).

I didn't have a breathing tube inserted.

I would think that she would be fine to work after taking off the day after the procedure.

Don't quote, please. 

I had one done 3 years ago. It was tilting my head back on a pillow and just making sure not to swallow when they were taking the biopsy. No breathing tubes, no neck spasms. They didn't numb me up and it wasn't horrible because they were using really fine needles. I was sore to the point of not being able to turn my head well for a couple of days but didn't take time off of being mom to a physical special needs kid. Also, I had a nodule when I was 15. I didn't even notice the thing until it was large. They removed it because of its size but it was benign. The nodules was also hyperactive. This was 30 years ago though and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do things in the same way today. I have 3 nodules now that are just mostly annoying. Thyroid cancer is usually very curable from what I've heard. Thyroid nodules are very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a needle aspiration biopsy, she will be sore for maybe 2 days. During the procedure she will be supported by pillows with her neck tipped back to make accessing the thyroid safer and easier for the surgeon. She won't have any contrast and they will numb her and use an ultrasound to guide them.

This is what the radiology office has said will happen. I didn't think to ask, though, about the procedure itself.

I had one done 3 years ago. It was tilting my head back on a pillow and just making sure not to swallow when they were taking the biopsy. No breathing tubes, no neck spasms. They didn't numb me up and it wasn't horrible because they were using really fine needles. I was sore to the point of not being able to turn my head well for a couple of days but didn't take time off of being mom to a physical special needs kid. Also, I had a nodule when I was 15. I didn't even notice the thing until it was large. They removed it because of its size but it was benign. The nodules was also hyperactive. This was 30 years ago though and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do things in the same way today. I have 3 nodules now that are just mostly annoying. Thyroid cancer is usually very curable from what I've heard. Thyroid nodules are very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard the nodules are very common, too. One in particular is of concern because of the apparent speed in which it grew and the type of nodule it is.

I had a needle biopsy done maybe 17 years ago.  I don't remember it being a big deal at all.  (If it had been awful I'd remember it!)  I didn't have a breathing tube.  I wasn't put under.  The area was numbed up very well, and the actual procedure was fairly quick.  I went home and pretty much jumped back into my regular routine.  I really don't remember much pain at all.

I wouldn't take any pain meds ahead of time without getting it approved first by the nurse/surgeon.  Certain pain maids affect your blood (aspirin, for example, thins it).  Even certain vitamin supplements can affect it.  

Good luck!  It's probably nothing.