Menu

Nightshade plants, histamine intolerance

kbutton

I am having a lot of trouble with general histamine intolerance and/or specific groups of foods, but it's not showing up on bloodwork or on skin tests.

Anyone have experience with this? I keep taking out troublesome foods (things that are "derived," which is virtually all preservatives and many supplements), but I have avoided taking out foods that are high histamine in general, unless they also have citric acid, glutamate, etc. due to processing. 

I am still having trouble as I add foods back in, especially with nightshades. It started out with itching (severe), and the itching has subsided a lot now that I am avoiding big categories. I still have short-lived itching from time to time. If I don't respond with dietary restrictions, then the itching progresses to hives and oral allergy symptoms (which I have with some things anyway). However, even with being careful, I am now {*used to say not} getting heartburn after the itching, and I think it's mostly with nightshade plants. If I didn't have the brief episodes of itching, I would be baffled by the heartburn.

Any hope I can eat nightshade plants, even on a rare basis? I had been searching for canned tomatoes that didn't have added citric acid, but now I"m thinking that may be pointless.

Edited by kbutton

BTW, the allergist's advice is to pump up on antihistamines. I am not okay with this. Allergies are inflammatory, and I am not interested in perpetuating the inflammation. Also, when I take antihistamines, I can't tell what I'm reacting to until the reactions are really ramped up, and then the cycle just perpetuates itself. 

I have struggled with histamine intolerance for years.  I recently discovered there is an enzyme supplement which I can take right before I consume something I know will give me trouble.  There are a few brands but the one I use is Histablock.  It has changed my life!

• Like 1

Antihistamines can make histamine intolerance worse.  Weird, but apparently true.  (At least that is what I was told.)

I made "no-mato sauce" today as part of our dinner.  There are no nightshade versions out there that taste pretty good.  This is the one I made today (with some tweaking because I used it in a kind of chili that doesn't have chili powder).  http://www.acleanplate.com/recipe/spaghetti-with-nomato-sauce/

BTW - dd can't eat eggplant or tomato or chili peppers without really bad reactions but she is perfectly fine with potatoes.  I'm not sure yet what I can tolerate or not. 

Antihistamines can make histamine intolerance worse.  Weird, but apparently true.  (At least that is what I was told.)

I made "no-mato sauce" today as part of our dinner.  There are no nightshade versions out there that taste pretty good.  This is the one I made today (with some tweaking because I used it in a kind of chili that doesn't have chili powder).  http://www.acleanplate.com/recipe/spaghetti-with-nomato-sauce/

BTW - dd can't eat eggplant or tomato or chili peppers without really bad reactions but she is perfectly fine with potatoes.  I'm not sure yet what I can tolerate or not. 

Oh, that's wild. I'm doubly glad I'm not living on them anymore. I was not impressed with my new allergist (the old one retired--she was awesome and accepted that my body is a law unto itself). My shot-treated allergies got so much better, but they will also go up if I don't keep the food thing under control, and then I have to take the anti-histamines again.

I seem to have some trouble with potatoes, but maybe it's quantity. It's not as immediate as with the crazy peppers and tomatoes.

Do you have trouble with broth? I seem to have problems with canned broths (it often has something derived in it), but apparently even homemade broth has high levels of glutamate. I am not having much luck on that front, and it's in the recipe. I will have to research veggie broth, canned and homemade. The recipe is intriguing. I do like beets and carrots.

I don't seem to have a problem with ketchup, oddly enough. 

I know peppers are now officially out though. It's been one very long afternoon! I cannot, ahem, eruct properly, so it takes longer for the discomfort to fizzle.

I don't really know what is out and in.  I've eliminated all gluten, all dairy (with the exception of some goat milk products which probably are just as bad for me), all nightshades (except for potatoes on rare occasions).  I don't see much difference at this point.  I'm not even 100% sure that it is histamine intolerance, though my doc agrees that it explains things better than other things at this point.  (But I have a whole slew of other things going on so it complicates things.) 

I am allergic to citrus. I buy tinned, looks like a toothpast tube, sold in box the size of toothpaste box, from Italy tomato paste at Walmart or organic in a glass jar from Whole Foods. Whole foods also sometimes has boxed italian paste, in a small milk packaging type box similar to how rice milk is packaged.

Edited by ElizabethB