Menu

Writing that can be done with all ages together

I need a recommendation for a great writing program. I have used Winning with Writing in the past when my children were younger. I've used Writing Strands (never got through it because it was just not motivating). We have done written narrations, journaling, note booking, etc. My children are currently rising 4th, 7th, and 8/9th (8th grade but working on some HS credits). 

Writing is something we never seem to get to more than once per week (if that) other than including it within other subjects. I was going to outsource writing this year for my 7th and 8th grader, but the class I was going to use is in the middle of the week at 10 a.m. which would be disruptive to our schedule (we homeschool 4 days per week). 

I have looked at samples online of IEW and have always been scared that it is just too much teacher prep time and/or involvement. We had a horrible year last year and I'm trying to lighten my load as much as I can this coming year. I was half way through last year ready to give up after 15 years. :( I have looked at IEW again (specifically the books for the historical period writing lessons, fables, etc). Then I see there is another set that is quite expensive (writing intensive?). I am confused as to how the program works, what exactly is needed to purchase, and whether I can get away without spending over $200. 

I've also looked at EIW so that I am freed up and they can do writing on their own. Although, I am not sure how that would work out. I'm also not sure I would want to purchase it on a bunch of different levels. My 4th grader is a natural writer and even the 6th grade video sample he was predicting what the instructor was going to say before he said it. LOL 

I've also looked at Apologia's new program which looks wonderful, but I'm not sure i want to spend that much to purchase 3 of the textbooks. It also really has no reviews and not many have used it yet. 

Anyway, it's really not my 4th grader I'm worried about. He's a natural writer, enjoys it, and will write beautifully detailed sentences at his age. He understands what goes into writing a paper and does it for fun. It's really more my older two who are rising 7th and my 8th grader who really needs to actually learn the basics all the way up to writing a report or research paper by the end of the year. I need to really focus on writing this year and need a good program, but not one that is going to soak up all my time and energy. I need something that is going to make it easy for all of us and something that can be used as a family without going beyond my budget. 

I am doing IEW with all my kids for the first time this year. I bit the bullet after looking at it and thinking about it for a few years and finally bought the teacher education dvds (Teaching Writing with Structure and Style) and also the Student Writing Intensive level B to use for both my 9th and 7th graders. After spending a lot of time with the reps at the booth at my local convention, I found that there are 3 options:

1. You can watch the TWSS dvds and come up with your own assignments based on the units.

2. You can get the Student Writing Intensive and have Andrew Pudewa teach your kids writing via the dvds. From what I understand, if you have several different ages you can get Level B and use alternate assignments for older and younger students and just purchase the 1 dvd program.

3. You can watch the TWSS dvds and then buy a theme based book so that you are doing the teaching but the book is coming up with the assignments. I'm not sure if you'd get much out of these books without watching the TWSS dvds or not. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this for you.

I'm going with the SWI for my 9th and 7th graders and a theme based book for my 3rd grader. Currently I'm working my way through watching the TWSS and while it's a LOT of information, I'm very very very pleased and excited to implement it. It will mean a significant investment of my time, but my 9th grader's essay writing is pretty abysmal and I really needed something to walk him through how to structure and organize his thoughts.

They do have an overview dvd for approx $10 I think that would give you a good feel for the program before you spend the big $$$.

I find IEW well worth the investment to learn that system because then you can just adapt it and write across the curriculum. We prefer not to have many assignment just for writing but to use the IEW structure for our narrations and reports and such for our content subjects. Writing for the sake of writing is not as great as improving writing that needs to be done anyways. Just my opinion. You can keep the family on the same units each year as you go through and adapt difficulty.

Edited by busymama7