Menu

What should be changing with 4th grade?

We've homeschooled since kindergarten and I feel like maybe some shifts should begin taking place out of early elementary schooling. For example, I remember someone on here saying that real science doesnt really need to begin until 4th grade, so I'm assuming we should get more serious about that. And of course, slightly longer days from 3rd grade. What else should I be paying attention to?

We've homeschooled since kindergarten and I feel like maybe some shifts should begin taking place out of early elementary schooling. For example, I remember someone on here saying that real science doesnt really need to begin until 4th grade, so I'm assuming we should get more serious about that. And of course, slightly longer days from 3rd grade. What else should I be paying attention to?

I don't know about the science piece, but here is how I view things:

K-2 is learning how to read and simple number relationships

3-5 is learning how to read to learn and mastery of basic elementary math concepts (IOW, K-2 reading is focused on the reading process.  3-5 is reading to process information.)

6-8 is the shift from reading simpler works to more complex works, synthesizing information across multiple resources, and writing shifts from simple unsupported writing to essays with supporting evidence.  Pre-alg/alg concepts covered. (All of my kids have been at this math stage.  If not, I would want them prepped for alg by 9th.)

9-12 is geared toward analysis and higher maths and sciences.

FWIW, I consider what my kids do for science prior to high school equivalent studies to be introductory and exposure type topics that build a love for science. (My kids have been ready for high school level sciences sometime in middle school.)

Any way, those are all generalities.  My kids don't necessarily replicate that in real life. And all of it is just my opinion from teaching my kids over the past 20+ yrs.

• Like 2

Depends on the child and what you're already doing, but:

- maybe more writing. For instance if history narrations have been oral, now have the child write them himself.

-maybe begin word acquisition work. When an unfamiliar word is encountered, write it, look up the definition, write it out, write a sentence using the word

-do a word use curriculum?

-begin the process of "learning to read" for information that lewelma outlined on an amazing post (I can try to link her post for you when I'm at a keyboard.)

-more life skills? Have the child write his/her own morning routine and follow it. Cook. Have cleaning chores.

-navigate using a map. Plan routes to get places. Take transit.

-add a handicraft?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Changes we made in 4th grade:

-using a daily checklist (instead of Mommy directing everything)

-writing page-long summaries of history & science read alouds (instead of just oral narrations)

-adding in formal grammar and vocabulary programs

-total time increased from about 2 hr to about 3 hrs

• Like 1

If you teach cursive, this is when I expect all work to be written in cursive.

Fourth grade is when the shift to more writing and composition starts. The basic things like spelling concepts and reading should be fairly solid as they transition toward reading to learn and more advanced vocabulary. Fourth grade is solidifying the memory stage as they transition toward more deeper thinking in fifth grade and beyond.

This is the year I look to solidify all four math operations.

They should also start to work more independently.

Fwiw, my son is entering fifth, and we are still working on some of these. It's a process, but fourth grade is when these things begin.

I don't know about the science piece, but here is how I view things:

K-2 is learning how to read and simple number relationships

3-5 is learning how to read to learn and mastery of basic elementary math concepts (IOW, K-2 reading is focused on the reading process. 3-5 is reading to process information.)

6-8 is the shift from reading simpler works to more complex works, synthesizing information across multiple resources, and writing shifts from simple unsupported writing to essays with supporting evidence. Pre-alg/alg concepts covered. (All of my kids have been at this math stage. If not, I would want them prepped for alg by 9th.)

9-12 is geared toward analysis and higher maths and sciences.

FWIW, I consider what my kids do for science prior to high school equivalent studies to be introductory and exposure type topics that build a love for science. (My kids have been ready for high school level sciences sometime in middle school.)

Any way, those are all generalities. My kids don't necessarily replicate that in real life. And all of it is just my opinion from teaching my kids over the past 20+ yrs.

I like that,and agree.

Well said :)

There is also a slight transition in literature between 3rd and 4th.  In 3rd, I keep things pretty innocent and black and white.  In 4th we begin to move toward books with the idea that there are big problems in our world.  Topics like: racism (Watsons Go to Birmingham), cruelty to animals (The One and Only Ivan), the Holocaust (Number the Stars), persecution, and governments overstepping authority (Animal Farm) become more age appropriate.  We are still with concrete thinking, but we want to acknowledge more that some people act in "wrong" ways, and give 4th and 5th graders the power to affirm or condemn the actions of characters.  They can even begin to condemn actions while understanding that the character is doing their best to make good choices.

You will, of course, need to judge how ready your own child is for these more mature discussions.

Changes we made in 4th grade:

-using a daily checklist (instead of Mommy directing everything)

-writing page-long summaries of history & science read alouds (instead of just oral narrations)

-adding in formal grammar and vocabulary programs

-total time increased from about 2 hr to about 3 hrs

Same here -- checklists, page-long written summaries, formal grammar, formal vocabulary, increased total time. We started some of these in 3rd grade, though.

Using a daily checklist has increased their independence. Their daily work is divided into:

• Morning Routine (includes chores, pets, room/stuff, showers, etc.)
  • Independent Work (all the bits & pieces that they can do on their own)
  • Tutor Time (anything that requires direct teaching time with me)
  • Group Work (everything we do as a group, which is a lot)
  • Outside Activities (if there are any that day)

For vocabulary, we have enjoyed Wordly Wise 3000, as well as English from the Roots Up (cards only). HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama