Menu

1st grade Unit Study on Ancient Egypt?

Lovedtodeath

I have decided to do a unit study on Ancient Egypt for maybe 2 weeks to help us understand our Bible stories of the Israelites in Egypt. Tell me what to do? (Preferably for free?) :) I already have the Usborne Book of World History and the Usborne Atlas of World History and the Good Times Travel Agency Ancient Egypt, along with King Tut's Mummy: Lost and Found. Just let me know if I am missing anything, how would you schedule it and what activities or crafts would you include? Thank you!!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Can you get your hands on the SOTW AG? They have some great ideas--hieroglyphs to make, pyramids, etc. Also more books. Oh, and you HAVE to make the Nile!

Here's how--

Get a large foil roaster pan. Put in dirt/potting soil. Make a couple of fingers wide "path" about two inches deep down the middle. Line the path with foil (it's a little tricky, but doesn't have to be perfect). Sprinkle grass seed along the edges of the foil.

The foil path is the Nile. The grass seeds are the Egyptian crops. Now, carefully pour water into the foil path/Nile, letting it overflow and thereby watering the crops. This simulates the flooding that took place every year and left rich soil for the Egyptians to plant in.

Ours grew really well--we kept it well-watered!

You can label the Upper and Lower regions of the Nile (remember, the Upper Nile is actually SOUTH of the Lower Nile) with little flags on toothpicks, and you can place your pyramid in the correct region, if you make one out of Legos, or something sturdy enough to get wet.

We also had some typical Egyptian foods (dates, leeks, etc) and wrote our names in hieroglyphs.

Edited by Chris in VA

I got this book through our library. Pyramids! 50 Hands-on Activities to Experience Ancient Egypt. It has lots of great ideas. We did an Ancient Egypt Day with friends. We made Egyptian jewelry, did Hieroglyphics, made Senet board games and played the game, and had a feast (grapes, figs, apples, honey flat bread, falafel (found a mix at Kroger), date candy, pomegranate and grape juice. We also had an artifact scavenger hunt. We put copies of pictures of artifacts and descriptions of them in lunch bags, then hid them in the yard. The kids had to find them and match them up as we read about each one.

It was a lot of fun!

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. I can't do it all!

We are studying Egypt in geography as well, so we will do the food and the Nile for that. For ancient Egypt, we will probably make a pyramid and write heiroglyphics on it, and make an apple mummy. I am not sure if we will include anything else.