Menu

Would you make a contact in this instance?

Prairie~Phlox

My husband works for the county and I regularly look at jobs on the county website for when I return to work.  There's a "nutritionist" position that has come open the last year at least 3-4 times.  My guess is the turnover is high? It's a WIC position and I meet some of the qualifications but not all (I do have a BS, but do not have the required 9 credits of nutrition) I would like to find a job that is similar to my husbands hours in about three years when our children are done with school. knowing this position comes open often (which may or may not be the case in the future?)  Do I make contact now and ask what I should do to become qualified?  I found an e-mail address online. Or do I wait until it's closer to the time of really being serious about looking for a job?

Thanks!

I think I'd just take some nutrition courses in the meantime, then make my case whenever I want the job. A BS plus recent extra courses is identical in most people's minds to a BS that included those credits in the first place.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the pay of the position and the stress of the job that makes the position frequently open. Or maybe the manager is an unfriendly, hard to please person. Do they list the pay? 

You are still 3 years out from availability. Is this something you want to do? Maybe there is more than one nutritionist position. Can your husband find out more since he's on the county payroll?

I would not contact yet. If you feel so inclined, take nutrition courses and about 6 months from the time you expect to return to work would be a better time to check on the position. Maybe there is something else in the department that would be better suited for your level of education. 

That job comes open a lot because it's not very good, IMo, several friends have done it. Low paying, govt hoop jumping all day, giving "WIC approved" bad nutrition advice from a script.

I certainly would not go back to school for it.

Have you ever gotten WIC? (We do as Foster parents, I appreciate the checks, but the nutrition info is pretty low level).

Everyone who works the desks at WIC is called a nutritionist- you check families in, weigh & measure kids, do iron finger sticks, give your age talk ("child is 18 months old, they should be eating x,y,z, etc"), then print off their checks & put them in their folders for them. 10 minutes per family, max.

That's it. Over & over all day.

In our area, it's usually right out of college social work types who take those jobs for a short time before moving onto something else.

I mean, WIC is a great program & that position is needed, but not really a nutritionist.

Good luck!

Edited by Hilltopmom

That job comes open a lot because it's not very good, IMo, several friends have done it. Low paying, govt hoop jumping all day, giving "WIC approved" bad nutrition advice from a script.

I certainly would not go back to school for it.

Have you ever gotten WIC? (We do as Foster parents, I appreciate the checks, but the nutrition info is pretty low level).

Everyone who works the desks at WIC is called a nutritionist- you check families in, weigh & measure kids, do iron finger sticks, give your age talk ("child is 18 months old, they should be eating x,y,z, etc"), then print off their checks & put them in their folders for them. 10 minutes per family, max.

That's it. Over & over all day.

In our area, it's usually right out of college social work types who take those jobs for a short time before moving onto something else.

I mean, WIC is a great program & that position is needed, but not really a nutritionist.

Good luck!

I kinda wondered, it's not my "dream" job, but pay is pretty decent and I will only take a job that requires a bs unless pay is higher. Having same workdays as my husband would be a huge benefit. We'll see what happens in the future. I don't want to pay for courses if I don't have to.

• Like 1