Menu

does this book exist?

fdrinca

My google-jitsu isn't working for me.

I'm looking for an alternate history book in which women, rather than men, have always been dominant. I'd love something global and epic in scope (the entire history of the world?). 

I guess I am not understanding what it is you want.   There are several books about powerful women in History, but to find a book that tells the entire History of the world from a woman's perspective as being the powerhouses, I don't think it exists.

I guess I am not understanding what it is you want.   There are several books about powerful women in History, but to find a book that tells the entire History of the world from a woman's perspective as being the powerhouses, I don't think it exists.

Alternate History is a sci-fi subgenre: "What if things went different in this one way?" As in, "what if aliens landed during WWII" or "what if the South won the civil war" or "what if nearly all of Europe was wiped out by the plague, but the rest of the world was largely untouched". That sort of thing.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

Totally not on the topic of the op, but DawnM's response reminded me of a time that someone on a very conservative homeschooling FB group asked for suggestions for a world history book that didn't portray women as oppressed. She seemed to think there was some left-wing history conspiracy that was trying to hide the noble role of women by saying women didn't have any rights throughout most of history.

I'm pretty sure she never found her book.

Totally not on the topic of the op, but DawnM's response reminded me of a time that someone on a very conservative homeschooling FB group asked for suggestions for a world history book that didn't portray women as oppressed. She seemed to think there was some left-wing history conspiracy that was trying to hide the noble role of women by saying women didn't have any rights throughout most of history.

I'm pretty sure she never found her book.

This type of thinking makes me believe that left-wing conspiracies are responsible for *everything.* Did the left disenfranchise women so that they could then re-enfranchise the and obtain their loyal political favor? So bizarre.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly this. Thank you for clarifying. I should have specified as this is a crowd for which "history books" is a common topic  :lol:

Maybe check out feminist science fiction? The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri Tepper features a post-apocalypse matriarchal society.

Thank you! I didn't use that combination of terms. I don't generally read science fiction, so I'm not familiar with the subcategories.