Menu

Science Questions

Pongo

I am looking for a rigorous science course. We have just completed ALL the Apologia (Elementary) Series. I liked them but my kiddos are ready for "meatier" stuff. I was thinking of Apologia GS for my 5th grader, I think she would do fine but then I would have to use something else for my younger two.

Has anyone had any experiences with these, if so any reviews.pleeessee

Supercharged Science

Home School Science Videos (as a supplement)

Kendall Hunt Home school Science

Thanks!

We decided to go with the sixth grade level of Harcourt science. It is very textbooky but decided to try it for my dd who is otherwise doing 7/8th grade work because I noticed some gaps in her general science knowledge. My dd loves the colorful and interesting text. I like that it has two units of life science, two of earth science and two of physical science. It's too much to do in one year so we are picking and choosing sections depending her needs and interests. She never complains about science--but does about nearly everything else!

I have a slightly older edition 2003 or 2005 with a tiger on the cover that I bought for about $10 on Amazon from a used dealer. Then I bought an answer key from Kolbe Academy for $15 so it's been a relatively cheap investment. Kolbe Academy also sells course plans and tests. They use this book for both 5th and 6th grades so nothing is wasted. :tongue_smilie:

Homesciencetools has all of the supplies needed for the experiments, but I haven't got that far yet. :001_smile:

Having looked at the Prentice Hall Explorer books, I can't say it seems much below that in terms of content and level of difficulty. And it's nice to have every topic in one book.

HTH if your intersted in something like a traditional textbook.

Kelli

My dd is quite textbookie (sp?) She loves gobbles and gobbles of facts, I think she grew out of the Apologia Elementary series a year or two ago , but she is very compliant so she'll do just about anything I ask without a fuss. The Apologia Elementary is to wordy for her, although my youngest loves it. In a last ditch attempt to keep her with her siblings she did the Zoology 3 this year with her two younger siblings, and then asked if she could have a book like my old nursing anatomy and physiology book....lol. Well, I certainly don't plan on giving her those, but I think she is drawn to the cut to the chase facts. I will look at Harcourt, thanks!

Real Science 4 Kids has a Chemistry II for grades 7-9 we're going to start this winter & it lasts longer than the level I. Dd loves meaty science when it's Chemistry & Biology and has read a lot on it, but looked at it and thought she could get into this one. We plan to follow it with Sudocki's Conceptual Chemistry.

Singapore Math used to offer a middle school science course (2 year course) called Interactive Science. It was by far the best science program I've seen for junior high kids. I have no clue if it is still available. I think they were discontinuing it (I bought a few copies of each workbook/lab book so I'd have all I needed).

My guys are now in public school, but I'm still going to work though this series with them. Prentice Hall is good, but it has nothing on IS.

Edited to add: Oh, yea! I just looked and this has been republished. Please look at the samples. www.singaporemath.com

Ria

Edited by Ria

Ria,

It looks like I would need textbook & workbook. Did you need the TE for the text or workbook? These actually look pretty good, my dd would be able to do the 7th grade level, I have always liked how they split semesters into two books. Thanks!

I didn't have the TE, only the student text, workbooks, and practical (lab) books), but I have a strong science background. I taught this course one year to a group of homeschoolers, and the moms were totally frustrated - the questions in the books actually require a child to take what they've learned and think about it to come up with an answer to a new situation/problem, rather than rote memorization. Because of their experience I'd suggest you get the TE. Singapore approaches science very differently than most kids/moms are used to.

You will need lab supplies...best to get the books and then see what you have and what you need. You can subsitute for some of the required equipment. Somewhere I had a list typed up of what was needed for both IS 1and IS 2...maybe it's floating somewhere on the boards....

Ria

Ria what books does one need to have? What do they teach in the 7th grade book. The site sells but doesn't explain. Thanks, Starr

Go to http://www.singaporemath.com/Interactive_Science_s/68.htm and click on the textbook for the course. On the page that pops up you'll see two tabs. Descritions and Contents/Samples. Click Contents/Samples and you'll see the topics covered for the year, along with some sample pages you can click at the bottom.

FAir warning: sexual diseases and birth control are taught in these books. It's part of the science curriculum in Singapore.

Ria

interactive videos. I wish I had known about them earlier!

I found a neat website that goes with Harcourt, I am sure you could use the movies for any curriculum. I just clicked the grade and chapter, pretty neat.

Harcourt Science

I hope you find something that is a perfect fit for your family!

Kelli

P.S. I also looked at the jr. high level of Singapore Science and decided against it because of the reproduction related topics that Ria mentioned.

P.S. I also looked at the jr. high level of Singapore Science and decided against it because of the reproduction related topics that Ria mentioned.

Yea, I told our "Buying Administrator" (daddy) that, and he agreed although she was academically ready for an older text she is still only 10 and we could wait on those issues. I was reading U.S News and World Reports and Bob Jones High School received a Silver award as one of the Best High Schools. I am going to take another look at their science program :)

Have you looked into Noeo science? http://www.noeoscience.com/ I am looking to start using that down the road. I am sure if it is meatier than Apologia or similiar, but perhaps someone here has used it and can give a review.

We bought the Noeo chemistry package, primarily to get all the things necessary for the experiments (minus a few common household items, some of which are never found in our house unless we buy them for science.) It was a big flop here. We sold the books barely used at a loss, of course. Minus one book we really loved that the other mother could easily get herself (not the Usborne encyclopedia--we have a few of those so could let that go). I think that Real Science 4 Kids with the supplements we have and a good science encyclopedia can get meaty, especially if you frequent the science section of your library. The KOGS ties in the science you're studying to other subjects. Due to financial constraints, we only bought the KOGS for history (it ties chemistry with history), but there are several other Chemistry KOGS that also tie chemistry into other subjects. I also like the fact that it's written by a chemist (she was a molecular biologist, but chemistry was her undergrad degree).

I had tried the Physics I a couple of years ago and it was okay. I really loved the schedule though:).

About the KOGS when you say it ties into history you mean scientific history or history in general. How do you work that in with a history rotation? I was looking at the Logic KOGS, I am wondering if that would cover some of the logic studies we are already doing from a different angle.

I think there is always that one subject that just never "fits", and of because of my being so picky about it( I think home schoolers in general are notorious for this:D). It used to be math, once I got to know what I wanted as the end result it was easier to pick my programs. Here we are with science and I really want something complicated:glare:, that's the bast way I can describe it.

I had tried the Physics I a couple of years ago and it was okay. I really loved the schedule though:).

About the KOGS when you say it ties into history you mean scientific history or history in general. How do you work that in with a history rotation? I was looking at the Logic KOGS, I am wondering if that would cover some of the logic studies we are already doing from a different angle.

I think there is always that one subject that just never "fits", and of because of my being so picky about it( I think home schoolers in general are notorious for this:D). It used to be math, once I got to know what I wanted as the end result it was easier to pick my programs. Here we are with science and I really want something complicated:glare:, that's the bast way I can describe it.

It's the history of Chemistry, although the first chapter discusseswhat historians use to study history & how they interpret it. The chapter topics tie in with the chapters in the chemisty book rather than doing all chemistry history from beginning to end. Dd loves history in general, so I bought that one. There is at least one timeline exercise. We, sad to report, haven't done timelines yet but when we do I want to include science, math, inventions, etc in it because to me that makes history ever so much richer and more enjoyable.

Since this course is designed for grades 4-6, many classical homeschoolers have already done most or all of one history rotation by the time they get this book, and if they've done a timeline, then they can add this to what they already have.

Personally, I've given up on the one science per year approach for my 10 yo as she's more into history and art and loses interest before the year is out. Not so for my eldest.