Menu

Questions about the Iliad

I am trying to read this as part of my self-education, but I have to tell you that in 2 1/2 weeks I have only read 6 books and I am not enjoying it. I did read the easy version first so that I would have basic knowledge of the plot line, which has helped somewhat.

So my question is, What is the value of reading the Iliad? How can I make it more intersting? I keep falling asleep in the middle of reading no matter what time of day I read it! Is there any hope of me finishing this book, or do I call it quits and count the easy children's version as enough?

I have to run out so I only have a few seconds - please excuse the quick answer!

When I did the Iliad with my girls we got the book on tape. I don't know the name of the translator, but it had Susan Sarandon on it. She gave a quick summary of each chapter, which really helped. Then the reader read the full text.

Also, are you using any study guide with it? Those really help to make it more accessible.

If you want I will try to find the version we listened to.

Which translation are you using - one of the big three (Fitzgerald, Fagles, Lattimore)? Changing translations might help.

One thing which always made it more enjoyable for me to go through a classic is to listen to the appropriate Teaching Company tape. Elizabeth Vandiver is WONDERFUL, makes the book come alive. And for the Odyssey, which, for some reason, I found difficult to 'get into to', I listened to on tape, until I got so engrossed in the story I HAD to read ahead and finish it.

And, reading the children's version is fine for knowing the story and the names of the characters. The Aeneid won't be as meaningful. The full richness of the description won't be there. And you won't realize how truly awful the movie "Troy" is.

However, you have my permission to leave off and read a few chldren's versions, if you promise to come back and try it again later. :D

Kate in Seattle

I would love to do the teaching company lectures, but there's no money in the budget for that. I am reading the Fagles translation. I can get check out the Fitzgerald, Merrill or Goldstein translations, would any of those be better?

It just seems like it's all blood, war, and the gods intervene. Am I missing something great here? I'm a scientist, I think analytically, so it's hard for me to pick up symbolism and underlying themes.

The reason I'm doing the self-education is to build my skills in reading literature and learn to enjoy the classics. I want to finish this and you guys are encouraging me that it does get better.

You should be able to get the TC tapes via ILL. Even if it costs a small fee, it is WELL worth it. I cannot begin to tell you what riches will unfold with Dr. Vandiver.

Yes, the Iliad is a lot of war and blood and intervening gods. Lewis points out that many say the definition of epic is that it concerns a national struggle. Lewis feels, however, that Homeric epic is centered on one man - Achilles (Iliad) or Odysseus (Odyssey), and his struggle.

Achilles, along with every Greek warrior, wants "kleos" - glory. He has been told by his mother that he will either come home from Troy, have many children, who will remember him, and even their children after that, but eventually his name will fade from history, OR he can stay and fight in Troy, die there and be known FOREVER - in other words UNENDING KLEOS. He seems a little less whiny when you think about it from this perspective.

Epics are also didactic - they were sung and told to teach young Greek (boys) what was their "arete". Their duty to the gods, their city-state, their families. So, another thing to think about - what I am learning about what is my duty? who is being praised here? what actions are seen as honorable?

When I taught the Illiad I had each student read one book and present a 2 -3 minute "creative" summary. I had puppets, video, straight summarization, poetic retelling. Very fun.

Hang in there,

Kate in Seattle

Hmm, I didn't know I could get it through ILL, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks Kate for the explanation, I had totally missed that so far. Shyly admitting that Achilles has seemed a bit whiny.

Ok folks, I'm going to stick with it, I can read this book!

I have to run out so I only have a few seconds - please excuse the quick answer!

When I did the Iliad with my girls we got the book on tape. I don't know the name of the translator' date=' but it had Susan Sarandon on it. She gave a quick summary of each chapter, which really helped. Then the reader read the full text.

Also, are you using any study guide with it? Those really help to make it more accessible.

If you want I will try to find the version we listened to.[/quote']

this would be the Lombardo translation and i HIGHLY recommend it for bringing the Iliad to LIFE especially if you use the audiobook edition. Homer's work of poetry is essentially an oral tradition - it is meant to be listened to!

i assigned my son to listen to the Iliad and i listened to keep up. i went on to also listen to Lombardo's Odyssey because i enjoyed the Iliad so much.

Don't feel bad about not liking the Iliad. I was a classics major in college and I didn't really like it. The translation you have is one of the best, so I don't think that's your problem. I think the Iliad is just a "boys book." It doesn't really have characters that women can relate to. Although it is a little better if you understand the context. How much do you know about ancient Greek culture and the Trojan war? Studying the history might help. Failing that, either keep plugging because it's something you want to have under your belt, of just give up and read The Odyssey. The Odyssey is a much more enjoyable read.