Menu

Sign Language?

For myself, I really like Rochelle Barlow's 'ASL Done Right' course online. Part 2 and a homeschool edition is supposed to come out this summer or fall. She is readily available for questions and has a strong fb presence where she answers questions and does ASL challenges to help you get better. It's a video format online with a printable guide with activities. So you could feasibly use it for your older kids (maybe around 10+) too, although it isn't made for kids specifically. She teaches signs, grammar, and Deaf culture. She is an interpreter.

• Like 1

For myself, I really like Rochelle Barlow's 'ASL Done Right' course online. Part 2 and a homeschool edition is supposed to come out this summer or fall. She is readily available for questions and has a strong fb presence where she answers questions and does ASL challenges to help you get better. It's a video format online with a printable guide with activities. So you could feasibly use it for your older kids (maybe around 10+) too, although it isn't made for kids specifically. She teaches signs, grammar, and Deaf culture. She is an interpreter.

I was just looking at Rochelle Barlow's YouTube. Will be ordering her course for the kids later in the year. She is just what I have been looking for !! Awesomeness. Thank you so much!!

• Like 2

Dual enrollment at the local community college. The school has an excellent Interpretation for the Deaf program, so the ASL teachers were top-notch! :)

It also had the great advantage of counting as both the high school foreign language requirement AND as college credits -- and it sparked an interest for DS to pursue the AAS degree in Interpretation for the Deaf when he graduated high school. He ultimately decided against that as his career course (completed 2 of the 3 years), and has moved into completely other directions, but it was cool that, most unexpectedly, fulfilling a required credit turned into a temporary potential career path. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

One of my kids is Deaf so we were in a position to learn ASL pretty quickly.

We have used LifePrint  (http://www.lifeprint.com/index.htm)  It is very good and free.  We also use Signing Saavy with the paid membership.  The paid membership (about $50 a year) lets you have access and create lists.  It also lets you use the Phase Builder feature.  My kids are 9-13, so we have taken classes at the continuing ed program for my local college.  This was fantastic and something we plan on continuing.  :-) 

When they get older, we will do ASL through Dual Enrollment at my local college. 

Edited by bugfree
  • Like 3

Another vote for lifeprint.  My 2 high schoolers have used lifeprint Lessons 1-60 which is roughly equivalent to 4 college semesters minus life practice (we get some of that locally).  Most or all is available on his site for free or on his youtube channel.  I did buy the CD and USB drive so we could do it without internet when needed.

• Like 2