Menu

If we're going to visit an Orthodox church...

Katy

Are you going to a service for/with a friend (ie Baptism, wedding)?  Or is this yourself going to a Divine Liturgy?

first it kind of depends on which jurisdiction you'll be attending.  Do you know if it's Russian, Antiochian, Greek, or Orthodox Church in America (OCA)?

Dress? -  I would wear something nice/casual - a skirt or nice slacks or a dress.   Women in most parishes do not wear head-coverings, but some do.  It kind of depends (Russians almost always do - Greeks almost never).  Take a scarf just in case.

Have you read Frederica Matthews-Green's 12 Things I wish I knew Before Going to an Orthodox Church?  It's long, but informative about what to expect. 

The main this is to not worry  - no one expects you to do the things we do (cross yourself, kiss icons).  Most people in EO parishes are very understanding of visitors. 

You can pm me or any of the other EO people here - we may know the parish you'll be visiting. 

Enjoy yourself... and let us know how it goes!

• Like 2

A normal Sunday liturgy.  Not visiting with friends.  In our last (Methodist) church in Oklahoma our small group did a study of denominations -  Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why by Adam Hamilton.  I don't even recall everything that I liked about the description of EO - that it is more visual, more whole-body, more all-senses, more history; but I remember thinking that it answered all the questions about salvation and original sin and evangelism that I'd had as a child in confirmation class in a more satisfying way than the Lutheran/Protestant/Western answers. 

Also the few interactions I've had with EO women I've known were... ...how to describe... they were the peaceful, graceful sort of Christians that I want to be, but frequently fail at being. DH has felt drawn to try something more like Catholic than where we have been previously too, after a devout Catholic friend of ours died.  In our last home the closest EO churches were about an hour away.  Now we live less than 45 minutes from 5 of them, and several more less than an hour away.  We haven't chosen which to visit first.

• Like 2

If you want to pm me a zip code, I can take a look at the 5 parishes and see if any are more visitor friendly (no one should be rude; it's just that some are more American-accessible). Then we can also clue you in a bit more as to what to expect. :0)

And tell some funny stories. :0)

A normal Sunday liturgy.  Not visiting with friends.  In our last (Methodist) church in Oklahoma our small group did a study of denominations -  Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why by Adam Hamilton.  I don't even recall everything that I liked about the description of EO - that it is more visual, more whole-body, more all-senses, more history; but I remember thinking that it answered all the questions about salvation and original sin and evangelism that I'd had as a child in confirmation class in a more satisfying way than the Lutheran/Protestant/Western answers. 

Also the few interactions I've had with EO women I've known were... ...how to describe... they were the peaceful, graceful sort of Christians that I want to be, but frequently fail at being. DH has felt drawn to try something more like Catholic than where we have been previously too, after a devout Catholic friend of ours died.  In our last home the closest EO churches were about an hour away.  Now we live less than 45 minutes from 5 of them, and several more less than an hour away.  We haven't chosen which to visit first.

How exciting to have so many choices! I know PJ will have a good idea about the potential differences among the parishes you have to choose from if you take her up on her offer. Wishing you a lovely first encounter with the Divine Liturgy. This Sunday is Pentecost which is a wonderful feast day for a first visit! May your journey be blessed!

how exciting!   I'm so glad you asked us about it. Definitely try to visit several different parishes.   It's really nice you have that option.  I did that when I was first searching and I learned a lot by visiting around

• Like 1

One thing I wanted to bring up:  this weekend is the Feast of Pentecost.  The church will likely be decorated with all kinds of greenery ... explanation available if you want it.  :0)  This is NOT typical for all the rest of the Sundays of the year.  It might be a bit of a shock if you didn't know that--some parishes go **all out** and others have a few palm plants around the sanctuary.  

The other thing about this feast is that it is the first day since Pascha that we kneel or bow (prostrate) in church.  The practice of the Church prescribes a special vespers service sometime after the morning's Divine Liturgy.  This service is called "Kneeling Vespers" because we kneel during three *very long* prayers.  I would not expect a first time visitor to attend, but I *did* want you to know that this might put some things into a different atmosphere than you would get on a non-feasting Sunday.  And if you do want to attend, you are most welcome.  

Here's what I mean:  Most parishes have some sort of lunch together after Divine Liturgy (we have been fasting before receiving the Eucharist, so we are HUNGRY, and it gives us time together).  Tomorrow, however, with Kneeling Vespers following pretty  much immediately after Coffee Hour, and with Father's Day also in the mix, it is likely that "Coffee Hour" (usually Lunch) will be abbreviated, or simpler, or less chatty than it would be on a regular Sunday.  

Visitors are *always* welcome at Coffee Hour--including tomorrow's--but I don't think it will be as relaxed as it usually is, at least in some parishes.  Some parishes will have Kneeling Vespers in the evening (where they belong) but most do them after coffee hour because in  most parishes, at least some of the people have driven some distance to get to church, and to ask it twice in one day is a bit much.  Especially as this year, it falls on Father's Day.  

I'm not saying, "Don't go tomorrow!"  I AM saying, "Things are a little different from how they usually are, both in the appearance of the church and in the coffee hour routine, so just go in with that in mind and don't let it bother you."  :0)  And wherever you visit, plan to stay for a little lunch.  People like a chance to get to know you and it gives you a chance to meet them, as well.  

Have a wonderful Sunday.  

I did not know that bit about the greenery PJ. Our parish has never done that. I wonder if I might find something appropriate in my garden.. what kind of greenery do you usually see?

Katy, you've already been given great tips. I hope you'll share your thoughts and impressions afterwards. :)

I did not know that bit about the greenery PJ. Our parish has never done that. I wonder if I might find something appropriate in my garden.. what kind of greenery do you usually see?

Katy, you've already been given great tips. I hope you'll share your thoughts and impressions afterwards. :)

Our parish is pretty greened up, with vines all over the empty cross, the boughs of evergreen draped over the iconostasis, and some palm trees around here and there.  I've seen pictures of some parishes where it looks like you are walking into an actual *woods*, there is so much greenery around.  

Here is a little explanation from the Antiochians:  http://www.antiochian.org/node/19418

There's a wonderful picture of a parish that goes *completely* overboard with the decorating and it is beautiful.  But i can't find it.  I will edit this post to add the link if I do. 

Oh, I realized I didn't answer your actual question, Mrs. A.

I think most of the greenery comes from people's gardens--or private property.  That is pretty easy to do, given that we are in the Pacific Northwest.  :0)  I might bring some hydrangeas out of my yard, as they are blooming now.  Some years, it is rhododendrons or irises, but those are already blown this year.  I could bring in a boatload of ivy, but I hate going out to cut it, and anyway, I'm not on the decorating committee.  I'm not really sure I've got Christmas down yet.  (I'm decorating challenged...)

Anyway, that's how it works at our parish.  

Good point about Pentecost.  Our parish does Kneeling Vespers directly after Liturgy.  Basically we move quickly from one service to the other without much fanfare.  That may happen, Katy, where you visit.  There are many people who leave then (it does make for a long, long day).  So don't feel awkward if you leave then.  Or go to the fellowship hall for coffee hour.   I suspect there will be a bunch of people who have opted not to attend Kneeling Vespers,  :laugh: