Menu

English / Writing BJU vs EIW

My 4th ds is approaching 6th grade.  I own Rod and Staff, which he has been doing since 1st grade, but neither one of us wants to use it next year.  I would like something that combines English and writing.   I need interesting assignments and detailed instruction for a capable but writing phobic boy.  This ds has done some IEW and WWE in the past and will be doing the third year of Fix-It next year.  We will be doing Fix-It as a group with my  8th and 11th graders.  I have also tried WWS with one of my other boys and found it hard to use for me.

So BJU 6 and EIW 6 are on my short list.  Both cost about the same, although I could probably find most of BJU used.  I showed ds both samples and he picked BJU.  I think he likes how writing and grammar alternate.  I think EIW would be easier on me as BJU materials tend to be heavy on the teacher.   This ds is definitely using BJU Science 6 this next year, and possibly BJU reading.  I don't normally do a reading program so I may drop that idea.   I don't want to overload him on BJU material as I know it can be very "full".

I would love some direction.  You would think that by the 4th kid I would have this all figured out.

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...

BJU is more balenced whereas EIW is more writing centric. It depends if you want more writing time or a more balanced approach.