Tap

Which is correct?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which is correct

• I am Elizabeth "Jane's" mom, Jackie.
    • I am Elizabeth's "Jane" mom, Jackie
    • I am Elizabeth's "Jane's" mom, Jackie
    • Other

Here is the question.  Which possessive is  correct?

I am Elizabeth "Jane's" mom, Jackie.

I am Elizabeth's "Jane" mom, Jackie

I am Elizabeth's "Jane's" mom, Jackie.

I know the middle name in quotes part is not correct, but that is not the real question. If you know of another way to easily identify it that is both simple and clear, please let me know. 

My daughter goes by her middle name. All of her medical and school records are under her legal first name, but everyone calls her by her middle name.  When I am emailing her teachers/doctors etc, I try to list both names on the first line of the email, and then I use her middle name after that. 

I was taught modified first  name in quotes is correct

Elizabeth "Betty" Jane Doe

I was taught it is not correct to put actual middle name in quotes, but it is still what I do anyways. (A bit ironic since I am asking a grammar question LOL)  

Elizabeth "Jane" Doe 

I have had people still get confused, so I use the quotes to clarify that "Jane" is the name she is called, I am not just typing out her full name because I call her by her full name.  Otherwise I get people writing back to me using her Full name, which honestly is a very long name (26 letters) and I don't want them to feel like they need to do that. Her 5 letter middle name is fine.  

Here is the question.  Which possessive is  correct?

I am Elizabeth "Jane's" mom, Jackie.

I am Elizabeth's "Jane" mom, Jackie

I am Elizabeth's "Jane's" mom, Jackie.

I know the middle name in quotes part is not correct, but that is not the real question. If you know of another way to easily identify it that is both simple and clear, please let me know. 

My daughter goes by her middle name. All of her medical and school records are under her legal first name, but everyone calls her by her middle name.  When I am emailing her teachers/doctors etc, I try to list both names on the first line of the email, and then I use her middle name after that. 

I was taught modified first  name in quotes is correct

Elizabeth "Betty" Jane Doe

I was taught it is not correct to put actual middle name in quotes, but it is still what I do anyways. (A bit ironic since I am asking a grammar question LOL)  

Elizabeth "Jane" Doe 

I have had people still get confused, so I use the quotes to clarify that "Jane" is the name she is called, I am not just typing out her full name because I call her by her full name.  Otherwise I get people writing back to me using her Full name, which honestly is a very long name (26 letters) and I don't want them to feel like they need to do that. Her 5 letter middle name is fine.  

Not only do I go by my middle name, I go by a diminutive form of my middle name. It was the bane of my existence for many years, and it is why I call my children by their first names. It still gets me occasionally today, although not quite as bad because I understand the use of an alias for things like driver licenses and credit cards. :-)

I don't think there's a good way for you to do what you want to do. People are going to be confused.

I would just use her whole name and let the others figure it out. I would not use quotation marks. Please. You could try using parenthesis around her first name and thereafter use her middle name, (Elizabeth) Jane Doe. But not quotes.

• Like 2

English isn't my first language, so whenever something looks off to me I re-word the entire sentence. It can get a bit formal sounding at times, but it's the best I can do! LOL So for your situation I'd write something like: "This is Gidge, mother to Elizabeth Jane LastName."

My first name is an Asian name that 90% of America can't pronounce. I go by my Christian name Gertrude, or the nickname Gidge. So when I'm communicating with someone who doesn't know me, or this, I include all of my names in the order they expect them. So in your situation I'd write something like: "I'm writing on behalf of my daughter, (Elizabeth) Jane LastName." Or, more casually: "I'm Elizabeth LastName's mom. She prefers/goes by her middle name, Jane." And then do what you're already doing by using only the name Jane throughout the rest of the email.

• Like 5