Menu

Rod and Staff Science

TCoppock

I was wondering if anyone one has used R&S Science and would be willing to share their thoughts on it. We are currently in our second year of Abeka and still not loving it. I have had the opportunity to take a look at the 5th grade science book and it seems like it would be a better match but I would really appreciate to hear from someone who has actually used it. Any thoughts?

I was wondering if anyone one has used R&S Science and would be willing to share their thoughts on it. We are currently in our second year of Abeka and still not loving it. I have had the opportunity to take a look at the 5th grade science book and it seems like it would be a better match but I would really appreciate to hear from someone who has actually used it. Any thoughts?

I have not used it, but I bought a complete 5th grade Rod & Staff curr. off of ebay dirt cheap. I am *very* impressed with the science book and plan to use it next year after we finish with what I am using now. I didn't expect to like it and I love the way it looks. However, I have not used it or Abeka so I can't help you there.

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently using R & S 3 (God's Protected World). I have found the topics to be very engaging and my DD seems to enjoy it.

Each lesson has several new vocabulary words with their definitions. There is a section in each chapter called, "reading together," (just like it sounds) and then a section designed for the student to read on their own.

The lesson concludes with questions to test their reading comprehension. In addition, the TM includes a short quiz at the end of each chapter usually consisting of 5-8 questions.

Sometimes we work through everything orally and sometimes I have her write the answers out just to mix it up a bit. Either way I've found the textbook to be very thorough (I was a science major in college) and enjoyable. Hope this helps!

There are activities in the book. Here are sample pages: http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/3/science/

I've put off science for a long time, so we are playing catch up (just reading). This quote from another thread inspired me:

...but many years we read straight through the whole book. Then, as if we were going to review all that we had studied that year, I gathered all the supplies for the experiments, and we spent a morning or a day...or a couple of days doing hands on science. We discussed all that we had read as we did the experiements and then we cleaned up all the mess and we were done!J

I ordered R&S 7th grade science for this year and ended up returning it. To be honest (please don't beat me, R&S lovers), but it was just not very "sciency" for lack of a better "word." (Cuz "sciency" is a word, right?)

Half of the material had already been covered the year before in my daughter's 6th grade health course. All of the agricultural stuff had been covered in her 6th grade social studies course.

I had already picked up the ABEKA 7th grade science book at a used curriculum fair for $4 (written in) and I let my dd look at both and choose which one appealed to her the most. To my surprise, she really took her time and explored both books. She chose the ABEKA (even though the R&S book was PINK!!!!!) so we returned the R&S.

BTW, I was very impressed at how quickly I received a refund. Just wanted to throw that in.

I am using R&S 2nd grade science this year for my youngest and she seems to like it. It's not exactly what you would call challenging, but I supplement it with books from the library and information from an old science text that I picked up at Goodwill. I feel that this combination is working very well for her. She is really retaining the lessons. She is enjoying her R&S phonics, spelling, health, and penmanship, too.

Jeannie