Menu

Spinal tap?

Ethel Mertz

Has anyone had experience with having a spinal tap? I have to have one a week from tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. My doc said she didn't want me to do anything for a couple of days afterward. We have a 2+ hour drive (depending on traffic) home from the hospital immediately afterwards.

Yes. Lie down in the car the entire drive home. The spinal tap itself too bad. If you've had an epidural it is similar in feeling to the pain of the needle going into your spine. But you will get massive headaches if you are not lying down. And I mean mind numbingly bad, at least mine were. The very first day was the worst and it slowly got better every day. But you'll want to be lying down for at least 2 days.

• Like 1

DH had many, many during his chemo regimen.  The doctors gave him soda afterward; they said it helped with head-ache prevention.  I think it's the caffeine that helps.

Only once (out of about 8 or so) did he have a slow leak (major headache not alleviated by laying down) and had to go in for a blood patch.  He suffered for almost a week before finally going in; so I guess I'd advise to not wait if you do end up with a headache that won't go away.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

For the spinal tap itself, the worst for me was needing to pee soooo bad, but I couldn't because they wanted me to lay down. Later, I got the headache. It was pain like I'd never imagined. Of course I had not been through natural childbirth then. :-) I got the blood patch and voila - pain all gone! The headache won't go away on it's own, so if you get it go in.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with the PP that urged you to get the epidural blood patch right away if you get the headache.  I spent the worse 48 hours of my life with a headache that was not alleviated by lying down or doing anything.  I went to the ER after 24 hours of trying to deal with it and hoping it would lessen if I laid perfectly still in bed.  It didn't.  At the ER, I got a hotshot young doc who "just knew" that treating it with an IV bag of caffeine would do the trick.  I was so out of it because of the pain, I couldn't advocate for myself and my husband didn't want to cause any waves.  It did lesson the pain slightly so I went home (after being there for 8 hours) hoping it would continue to reduce the pain.  It didn't.  The next day we went back to the ER and my husband insisted on the blood patch.  The pain was gone within minutes after receiving the patch.  Complete relief!  Amazing!  

Do the best you can lying down on the way home and then at home for at least a day, and make sure you have a clear plan in place in the event you get the headache.  

• Like 1

Can you stay overnight at a hotel near the hospital just in case? Being two plus hours away from the ER if you need a blood patch on top of worrying about lying down in a car would be miserable. Good luck with everything!

We actually have an ER about 20 minutes away from here. My neurologist works out of the city hospital, which is 2 hours away, but if I get the headache, I can go to the local hospital. I'm not sure about staying overnight. Since my appointment is at 8:00 am, we were just going to let DS13 sleep (we have to leave at 5:00 am to make sure we get there in time). Now I'm wondering if we should bring him with us just in case they keep me at the hospital for a few hours.