Menu

Redo Algebra 1?

My new 6th grader has completed Thinkwell alg 1, and another book based program with a solid B+ average.  Took a break and went to TW Geometry. He does not seem to be having any problems with geometry and will soon complete. (He will  then redo with Tablet Class).  Since we are a little ahead of schedule for taking sat/act by 13 y.o., is there anything to be gained by taking alg 1 over before starting intermediate alg.  There is no major area of weakness in alg or geom.  Just doesn't seem to be able to hit 100%  on tests..  BTW he is in regular school, and will start the math track in 7th grade. thanks

(My child is not math gifted).

We did repeat algebra 1 and wish we could repeat one more time. In the middle of 6th grade, ds went on an exchange program to France, and when he returned we repeated AOPS algebra 1. It was just as much as a struggle as before, it's like the first round didn't "count".

For the second part of AoPS, we are not repeating but taking a whole year to do, as well as doing geometry concurrently. This is for 7th grade year. Because I don't envision this child going into STEM, I don't have a reason to accelerate math much. So in algebra we wallow.

If you repeat, I'd consider an "enriched" program like AOPs, which won't feel like repeat at all.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

My sixth grader just finished an Alg 1 class using Foerster's text and got a solid A. We are switching back to AOPS this fall, and plan to start at the beginning of the Intro to Algebra book, working through it on our own and then enrolling her in an Algebra B class once she gets that far.

I want her Algebra to be solid, and even though she did well in her class, there are still a few concepts that I'd like her to revisit - harder rational equations, word problems with quadratic equations, how to choose the best approach to solving a quadratic (normal factoring, splitting the middle term, completing the square, using the quadratic equation, etc.). And I want her to revisit things from an AoPS perspective. I think she's ready for it now, but it may have been too much of a stretch this past school year.

If she flies through it, we'll try to add in C&P this year as well.

My older ds is highly gifted in math and he took almost 3 years to get through AoPS intro algebra. He has also just looped back around and redone Calc 2 a second time, so once with AoPS and once with the more applied Anton.  He said it was a good choice.  Only you can decide if a redo is appropriate, but you want Algebra to be rock solid.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Something to keep in mind: a 6th grader being unable to consistently register 100's may not have anything to do with comprehension.  It could simply be a matter of maturity - of being ready to scrutinize every single step of every single problem more than once per problem.

Otherwise, no worries about repeating.  Teaching kids the value of learning from multiple sources has been overshadowed by our unfortunate fixation with the algebra-geometry-algebra 2-precalculus progression.  We fear the "abnormal," but in this case (like many others), abnormal is better.  I also agree with the notion of going with a deeper program like AoPS.  Not only will it not be a waste of time - it will add significant content.

ETA: If it means anything, we have taken each of our kids  through multiple iterations of courses.  DS14 is in SET, but he has still been through three different precalculus texts (Swokowski + Munen, followed by AoPS); DS9 has been through 2 algebras (AoPS, Martin-Gay) and 2 geometries (Jurgensen, Kiselev) and will see more.  It's not forced repetition - there may be some overlap, but there are differences in approaches, different content, and different types of challenges.

Edited by Mike in SA
  • Like 3

My daughter is not gifted in math, but repeating algebra has been great for her. The first year she used Foersters algebra and then this year we started Geometry and found algebra had left her brain. I offered her the option of going back to algebra or continuing with geometry and doing two math classes this year. She wanted to do both. I chose Saxon. The constant recycling and reviewing had been really good for her. I have much more confidence in her ability to do algebra next fall. I feel like she's learned it with both depth and repetition.

We did Jacobs Algebra in 6th this past year. My son's final grade based on tests alone was an 89. We certainly had a chapter or two where he just slacked off on the work and didn't test well because of that. I also had one chapter that I made him redo completely.

He'll be doing AoPS Intro to Algebra in 7th. I think the extra year of Algebra with a deeper program will be good for him, and his Algebra skills should be solid at the end.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1