Menu

Kids, eyeglasses and water parks

k10coon

Those that say to just walk around without them just cannot fathom what that is like for people in the -10 range. I can get around my bedroom without my glasses or contacts, the rest of the house... not so much....

What stinks is when your glasses fall off the nightstand.   Or you lay them down next to you in bed to read and fall asleep.   I never understood the concept of eyeglass donations.   I NEED old glasses scattered around the house in designated placed, in order to find my glasses.  

One advantage of getting old is that my prescription has gotten less bad although now I need reading glasses.  (sigh)   But I went from -8.5 to -5.   The reading glasses make contacts less appealing.  With contacts I need to carry reading glasses around anyway.  

• Like 2

What stinks is when your glasses fall off the nightstand.   Or you lay them down next to you in bed to read and fall asleep.   I never understood the concept of eyeglass donations.   I NEED old glasses scattered around the house in designated placed, in order to find my glasses.  

One advantage of getting old is that my prescription has gotten less bad although now I need reading glasses.  (sigh)   But I went from -8.5 to -5.   The reading glasses make contacts less appealing.  With contacts I need to carry reading glasses around anyway.  

Wow!  Mine didn't improve that much. It just slowed the rate of getting worse :(

Can you order him a back-up pair from one of the cheap, online places and use those (with a strap) on slides. My daughter did this and spent about $70-$80 on new glasses. They mailed the frames she wanted to try. She tried on, made her selection, and sent the frames back, then ordered glasses. She handled it herself and saved us money. I didn't even know it was a thing, but she apparently lined their frames better than Costcos.

Make sure you also check with the water parks rules and regulations on approved eyewear on slides. We have been to extremely strict ones where glasses on a cord wouldn't fly. Some of their extreme plunge style rides required that you leave goggles in a holding box (stupidly up top on the ride so you had to figure out how to get back to it). Sun sensitive kid can't ride those as he can't see without his tinted goggles.

This is the site I was trying to remember the other night. A little bit pricier then some of the other options but these are actually cheap for dive masks in general much less prescription ones.

http://www.getwetstore.com/default.php

As a kid I wore my glasses at waterparks. And when we went to the beach, I wore my glasses into the ocean so I could see my kids. When we take the kids to the water park, I take the glasses off and keep my eyes on whichever kid I am supposed to be watching, depending on my husband to help because his eyesight is nearly perfect. (And I keep the glasses in the swim bag so I can put them on if it becomes necessary)

BUT! I just got some -10 prescription goggles and I'm looking forward to wearing them to the beach this summer. I''ll be able to SEE for the first time. (I wear them lap swimming right now and just enjoy being able to see all the little squares at the bottom instead of a black haze)

ETA: Link to -10 goggles; they are blurry but SO much better than usual: http://www.amazon.com/Optical-Prescription-Swim-Goggles-Neoprene/dp/B007DKXFFW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Thank you for this!   I love my goggles.   

Normally we let DD open all packages, but her birthday is coming up.   When the goggles came, I wasn't sure what they were, so I handed them to DH to open figuring he ordered whatever it was.  When he handed me the goggles, he said, "Happy Birthday".   I could tell he was a little grumpy about the goggles.   When we get something expensive only one person wants, we call it a birthday present  So, I figured out that he thought that they were expensive, so I told him the price.  He was impressed.  

• Like 2