Menu

Chalk paint - is the wax finish a must?

Seasider

You probably need some sort of finish on a table that gets used. Other wise there will be rings where a glass set...that sort of thing. Although....come to think of it, I get water rings on my wax finished table. I just wipe them up quickly.

I've used chalk paint on a couple of pretty pots outside....no wax, no lacquer, nothing to finish. A year later they look terrific despite being in the sun and weather. I'm not waxing a bookcase I chalk painted....I don't want to wait for it to cure. Call that laziness.  

You can always wax at a later date...just buff the paint and apply.

Edited to add....I use Annie Sloan chalk paint and a chalk paint by Junk Gypsy.

Edited by Happy
  • Like 1

I haven't used that brand, so the finish may be slightly different.

With Annie Sloan, the wax gives it a finish that protects it. I prefer the look, too. It does darken your color a tiny bit. Mainly though, once it's cured, it gives a nice, easy to maintain finish.

I did do a recent project with a polyurethane finish - it was easier than the wax, and I wanted to try it out. Plus, I was hoping for something more durable. I used a matte finish and it looked good.

Oh! We had a cabinet I tried not waxing - I didn't live with it long, but is felt very fragile, like the paint would chip easily.

Thanks! I think I would actually like the color a bit darker, so that alone pushes me into the wax it camp. I'll pick some up today. I appreciate the input!

Also, if I like this look, I may do some lower kitchen cabinets with it. Waxed, do you think it would withstand regular spills and wipedowns?

• Like 1

Thanks! I think I would actually like the color a bit darker, so that alone pushes me into the wax it camp. I'll pick some up today. I appreciate the input!

Also, if I like this look, I may do some lower kitchen cabinets with it. Waxed, do you think it would withstand regular spills and wipedowns?

Yes, we did our kitchen cabinets with chalk paint several years ago. They still looked great when we sold last summer. Use a gentle cleaner to wipe down, and remember you can rewax to freshen it up.

I loved our chalk painted cabinets!

Oh! Check out the purple painted lady's how to wax videos - super helpful!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Ok, i applied a clear cream wax and I really like the finish! Now I just need to wait for it to cure. Happy, I am impatient but now glad that I decided to do the dresser about a week before I planned to paint the room it will be going into!

One more question - buffing? How vigorously can/should I do this? I have a hand-held sander that I think has a buffing attachment. Should I buff? If yes, how long to wait - a full week?

Thanks for your patience with my questions, you've been so helpful! This is turning out better than other furniture I've painted in the past. Now I want to chalk paint everything! Seriously, I'm scavenging the storage room for an old lamp I remember sticking away somewhere.

Ok, i applied a clear cream wax and I really like the finish! Now I just need to wait for it to cure. Happy, I am impatient but now glad that I decided to do the dresser about a week before I planned to paint the room it will be going into!

One more question - buffing? How vigorously can/should I do this? I have a hand-held sander that I think has a buffing attachment. Should I buff? If yes, how long to wait - a full week?

Thanks for your patience with my questions, you've been so helpful! This is turning out better than other furniture I've painted in the past. Now I want to chalk paint everything! Seriously, I'm scavenging the storage room for an old lamp I remember sticking away somewhere.

Oh yeah....I've always loved to paint things, but when I discovered chalk paint...ooo la la....my husband says if he stands still too long he is afraid I'll paint him. Hmmmm...he does look good in blue....

As for buffing...I did my buffet by hand using a soft cotton cloth. I enjoyed doing it. I'd buff for a while then walk away for a bit. You'll have to let me know how a buffing attachment works. My buffing involved a lot of 'I love this finish' thinking. :)  For what it's worth, I did several coats of wax because we do actually use that buffet as a serving area for parties.

I'm thinking about doing my kitchen cabinets in chalk paint--white with a dark wax finish. Wanna come help??? :auto:

Oh yeah....I've always loved to paint things, but when I discovered chalk paint...ooo la la....my husband says if he stands still too long he is afraid I'll paint him. Hmmmm...he does look good in blue....

As for buffing...I did my buffet by hand using a soft cotton cloth. I enjoyed doing it. I'd buff for a while then walk away for a bit. You'll have to let me know how a buffing attachment works. My buffing involved a lot of 'I love this finish' thinking. :) For what it's worth, I did several coats of wax because we do actually use that buffet as a serving area for parties.

I'm thinking about doing my kitchen cabinets in chalk paint--white with a dark wax finish. Wanna come help??? :auto:

Your husband looks good in blue, LOL!

I would enjoy painting alongside a friend. So far I've been listening to audio drama podcasts as I paint. I look forward to your results report should you choose to tackle those cabinets.

Can I ask what the deal is with chalk and clay paints? I keep hearing about them. Why are they better/different than regular paints? Curious!

For me, one of the initial appeals was that I didn't have to do a lot to prep the furniture first, just wiped it with a damp cloth. I'm sure that varies with the condition of the furniture, if it's in bad shape, but even slick surfaces can be painted without priming.

I'm loving the finish. The color appears rich and the surface is just more...professional looking? Not sure how else to describe it. I waited to get on board with chalk painting because at first all I could find were limited brand choices in gallon sizes. There seem to be more options available now. Plus, it's all water washable, no sticky stains, but a wax cream instead. I have only just begun chalk painting stuff but I think the many ways that base colors and finished can be combined promise so many options for artistic results. It's just fun!

• Like 2

Can I ask what the deal is with chalk and clay paints? I keep hearing about them.  Why are they better/different than regular paints?  Curious!

No prep needed!

No sanding, stripping, or other prep. Just start painting.

The first coat will be rough and not great looking. The second coat will make you feel like the world's best painter.

I also love the finish of both the chalk paint and the wax coat. They have a soft quality that I find soothing. Regular latex paint is too slick and plastic by contrast.

You can layer other colors in spots beneath your final coat, then lightly distress to show those colors. It makes for interesting looks.

Clean up is easy, easy with water and a bit of soap.

• Like 2

I feel a craft temptation coming on... uh oh.

I'm glad you asked the questions you did, I've had the same ones (and the same experiences with regular paint).  But there's a really, really ugly bathroom cabinet in the garage that I'd like to spruce up ... I think I'll practice on it with this chalk paint stuff.

Experts - any brands to recommend or to stay away from? Any tips?

Should I plan to wax a bathroom cabinet? There isn't a shower or bath, it's just a sink and toilet. But there's also no window in there so it can get humid in summer and it's the bathroom kids from the pool use when wet.

I'm glad you asked the questions you did, I've had the same ones (and the same experiences with regular paint).  But there's a really, really ugly bathroom cabinet in the garage that I'd like to spruce up ... I think I'll practice on it with this chalk paint stuff.

Experts - any brands to recommend or to stay away from? Any tips?

Should I plan to wax a bathroom cabinet? There isn't a shower or bath, it's just a sink and toilet. But there's also no window in there so it can get humid in summer and it's the bathroom kids from the pool use when wet.

I love Annie Sloan chalk paint. Love it. Her colors are yummy. The paint is easy to work with. My favorite by far. A quart feels pricey, but it goes a long way.

I've used Junk Gypsy and liked it well enough.

Wax...yes, I'd wax it. It will protect the finish from finger prints and such.

• Like 1

I love Annie Sloan chalk paint. Love it. Her colors are yummy. The paint is easy to work with. My favorite by far. A quart feels pricey, but it goes a long way.

I've used Junk Gypsy and liked it well enough.

Wax...yes, I'd wax it. It will protect the finish from finger prints and such.

Annie Sloan is the one brand I've seen everywhere, and have heard about but the price is what had me hesitating LOL. But it sounds like it's worth what you pay so I think I'll give it a go! The kids ship off to a relative's next week and it'll be a great time to give this a try.

I was seriously thinking about spray painting it but I knew that'd be messy and nuts.  It's just THAT ugly and in the garage, so who really cares (except that I do). I'm glad for this thread, thank you all!

• Like 1

Annie Sloan is the one brand I've seen everywhere, and have heard about but the price is what had me hesitating LOL. But it sounds like it's worth what you pay so I think I'll give it a go! The kids ship off to a relative's next week and it'll be a great time to give this a try.

I was seriously thinking about spray painting it but I knew that'd be messy and nuts.  It's just THAT ugly and in the garage, so who really cares (except that I do). I'm glad for this thread, thank you all!

post-247-0-44154800-1465493813_thumb.jpg

My first Annie Sloan projects were pieces I did NOT like at all. Now they are favorites in my house.

Edited to add...the buffet above is done in Chateau Gray...a yummy gray/green.

I can't get the image of the bench to attach, but let's just say AS Provence saved it from the thrift store....

Edited by Happy
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_3573 (1024x683).jpg

My first Annie Sloan projects were pieces I did NOT like at all. Now they are favorites in my house.

Edited to add...the buffet above is done in Chateau Gray...a yummy gray/green.

I can't get the image of the bench to attach, but let's just say AS Provence saved it from the thrift store....

Oh I love that! That's the look I want, even down to the color!

Beautiful, beautiful, job, Happy. I hope my cabinets turn out as nicely.

Oh I love that! That's the look I want, even down to the color!

Beautiful, beautiful, job, Happy. I hope my cabinets turn out as nicely.

Awww...thank you! The buffet was my mom's but the finish was shot, so it was a joy to turn it into something I love.

By the way...I used a clear wax after painting, then topped that with a bit of dark wax. In fact, I mixed dark and clear wax to get the lightest dark touch I could.

You can also mix a touch of paint into the wax--not often, but it's a trick I learned from my sis in law who introduced me to AS chalk paint.