Menu

Finally, it's my turn for "would you eat this?"

trulycrabby

My physical therapist has a farm and chickens, so I buy lots of wonderful eggs from her. I forgot the last several cartons in the back seat of the car from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. The car sat in the garage on a 94F day, but it was only about 80F in the garage. The eggs are very fresh and have not been washed. Can I use them? I have always heard that fresh, unwashed eggs will keep, but wanted to ask the experts.

Edited by trulycrabby

Yes, I would use them. I wouldn't even think twice.

But one habit that I have with eggs is that I always, always break each egg into a bowl and look at it before I dump it into whatever I'm making. I have very occasionally found bad eggs (in the store, actually) and it is so frustrating to have an entire cake ruined because the egg went in and was rotten. It's also nice if you mess up and break the shell in. I recommend this practice in general.

• Like 4

But one habit that I have with eggs is that I always, always break each egg into a bowl and look at it before I dump it into whatever I'm making. I have very occasionally found bad eggs (in the store, actually) and it is so frustrating to have an entire cake ruined because the egg went in and was rotten. It's also nice if you mess up and break the shell in. I recommend this practice in general.

Yes, my grandma taught me to do this, too. Although it is extremely rare for me to have a bad egg, happened only once in several years.

• Like 3

Yes, I would use them. I wouldn't even think twice.

Yep. Learned this lesson as a teenager on a TRIPLE batch of cookies for a bake sale with a rotten (store bought) egg. Such a huge waste of ingredients.

Any and all cooking/baking with eggs requires an "egg bowl".

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1