Menu

Writing Programme Suggestions..

kolamum

We used School Composition by William Henry Maxwell. We did it 3-4 days a week for 20-30 minutes. My daughter enjoyed it, and it's solid writing instruction. ETA: Not teacher intensive

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

You could continue on with the WWE methods using other reading selections.  We basically did that and read MCT's writing books. 

One of mine went onto WWS (completed level 1).  After that I used IEW with both and am still using that.

Mm, that's an idea. He's on the older end of the range for the WWE curriculum, but due to a late diagnosis for Visual Processing Disorder he needed that stability to build up confidence.. In fairness he could move into Volume 4 which we haven't used yet, but part of me feels like he needs to do a little more.. I'm not sure about The Creative Writer. We do own it, but I don't know if writing is "his thing", iykwim. Thanks for mentioning it though as it is sitting on the shelf.

We're planning to use Fix-It for grammar next term {which is a couple of weeks away..} & did consider looking into IEW, but admittedly the price frightened me away. It seemed kinda pricey for just one child. The eldest is finishing up WWS 1 & the plan was for him to use Cover Story afterwards which he's pretty excited about. Am I missing anything with IEW regarding the price? I thought I saw it was $189 USD which will be well over $200 AUD. I've heard many good things about IEW, & know of someone locally who has started using it & likes it as well, but that price..

We used School Composition by William Henry Maxwell. We did it 3-4 days a week for 20-30 minutes. My daughter enjoyed it, and it's solid writing instruction. ETA: Not teacher intensive

I haven't heard of this, I'll need to look it up. :)

The Student Writing Intensive purchased through IEW (we bought level C, but levels A and B are the same price) was only $109. I say *only*, but realize that's still a lot of money. ;) We really enjoyed the course, and resale value is great, so you could potentially sell it and recoup the money when you're done using it. Just thoughts....

Blessings as you decide. :)

We did WWE 1-3 but couldn't stomach the thought of another year of even longer dictations. So for 4th grade we did Treasured Conversations and The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever. For 5th grade we're planning to do Wordsmith Apprentice and possibly an occasional writing lesson from our grammar book (Saxon). We might go back to WWS in 7th grade.

Lana

I plan to use Essentials in Writing with my son this year.  He finished WW3 this week and we do not want to move on to WWE4.  I think there is a chart somewhere where SWB lists her suggestions for moving forward.  I'm sure someone here knows where to find it! 

I did what SWB suggests in her audio lectures about writing (A Plan for Teaching Writing: Middle Grades). I taught my kids how to do one-level outlines and did those twice a week, and had them continue writing narrations/summaries twice a week. And then we did the beginning literary essays on Fridays.

I did what SWB suggests in her audio lectures about writing (A Plan for Teaching Writing: Middle Grades). I taught my kids how to do one-level outlines and did those twice a week, and had them continue writing narrations/summaries twice a week. And then we did the beginning literary essays on Fridays.

Mmm, but one level outlines are a lot of what is covered in WWS & this child.. he's the one who has a cow when he feels he's being made to repeat work.. Oh my, much to consider.. 

Mmm, but one level outlines are a lot of what is covered in WWS & this child.. he's the one who has a cow when he feels he's being made to repeat work.. Oh my, much to consider..

Have you read TWTM chapters on writing? WWS is the TWTM version of writing all spelling out. If you need something more flexible before doing a full out WWS book, TWTM will have guidelines to follow.

If he's beyond the single line outlines, try venturing into two-lines. This is in TWTM 2nd editon that I have. I bet the 1st has it too - don't know about the 3rd ed.

I plan to use Essentials in Writing with my son this year. He finished WW3 this week and we do not want to move on to WWE4. I think there is a chart somewhere where SWB lists her suggestions for moving forward. I'm sure someone here knows where to find it!

This is the link to where Susan talks about her recommendations for after WWE3.... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/509138-if-youre-using-wwe-or-wws/

We did WWE 1-3 but couldn't stomach the thought of another year of even longer dictations. So for 4th grade we did Treasured Conversations and The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever. For 5th grade we're planning to do Wordsmith Apprentice and possibly an occasional writing lesson from our grammar book (Saxon). We might go back to WWS in 7th grade.

Lana

We did TC in 5th, planning on WS for 6th, and WWS1 for 7th. :-)