Menu

Birkenstock people, I need help--my shoes are too loose

ILiveInFlipFlops

The left is probably just right, but the right shoe will fly off if I walk normally. It's to the point where my right foot and ankle are achy and hip are achy after walking around too much in them because I'm adjusting my gait to keep the shoe on. These are leather Gizeh sandals, so they definitely stretched some after I bought them. I've been wearing them for a couple of weeks now.

Is there anything that can be done about this, or should I just go ahead and have another hole added to the strap? Do I need to go to an official Birkenstock repair place to have that kind of thing done? Do those even exist?

Please help! I want to love these shoes, but so far I'm just achy and frustrated :(

I've successfully added an extra hole to my leather belts, so I'd be tempted to just add another hole. Since the shoes are pricey, I'd probably call the manufacturer and ask just to see if they have any advice on how best to do it. 

Googled and came up with this 

http://www.ehow.com/how_5903950_tighten-up-loose-birkenstock-sandals.html

We've just used the thing that looks like an old fashioned ice-pick on a pocket knife.

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

I've used an ice pick multiple times to make holes in belts, etc.

You might want to try ordering in a narrow next time... my Dd has a pair and based on reviews of how wide the shoes run, I went with the narrow size. Worked really well for her (and she doesn't usually wear a narrow).

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I hear rave reviews about the Keens, but I just didn't see anything I liked, and I love these Birks! They don't love me, though--at least not yet *sigh* They're improving, at least! DH hates Birks, so his opinion is that my feet are trying to tell me something  :glare:

I'm going to make the extra hole and see how that feels. These shoes cost $120. They HAVE TO WORK! 

Yes, just add a hole yourself for now.
Are you wearing the regulars? Or wide? Is the left foot comfortably in the footbed? If is it loose too? If they are both loose, you might want to try the narrow next time.

The left shoe is loose but comfortably so. It definitely isn't at risk of leaving my foot if I'm walking briskly, and I'm not feeling any pain or ache on that side. I think pain on my right is coming from the fact that I'm walking more flat-footed on that side to prevent the shoe from launching. I've never had a problem with my feet feeling different in the same pair of shoes before, though, so I'm inclined to think it's this one pair. I unbuckled them both this morning and compared the strap and holes, and it does look like the right side is eeeever so slightly off compared to the left. That might be just the amount that's making the difference here. 

If I ever buy Birks again, I'll definitely look at the narrows. I've never had narrow feet in my life, so it never crossed my mind that that might be an issue here! 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Thanks everyone. I hear rave reviews about the Keens, but I just didn't see anything I liked, and I love these Birks! They don't love me, though--at least not yet *sigh* They're improving, at least! DH hates Birks, so his opinion is that my feet are trying to tell me something  :glare:

I'm going to make the extra hole and see how that feels. These shoes cost $120. They HAVE TO WORK! 

The left shoe is loose but comfortably so. It definitely isn't at risk of leaving my foot if I'm walking briskly, and I'm not feeling any pain or ache on that side. I think pain on my right is coming from the fact that I'm walking more flat-footed on that side to prevent the shoe from launching. I've never had a problem with my feet feeling different in the same pair of shoes before, though, so I'm inclined to think it's this one pair. I unbuckled them both this morning and compared the strap and holes, and it does look like the right side is eeeever so slightly off compared to the left. That might be just the amount that's making the difference here. 

If I ever buy Birks again, I'll definitely look at the narrows. I've never had narrow feet in my life, so it never crossed my mind that that might be an issue here! 

Birks run or measure differently.  Their narrow is considered a normal width here.  It is the filled in footprint on the inside sole. Their normal width is considered wide here. It is the open footprint inside the sole.  

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Sizing/birkenstock-width-symbols.cfm

• Like 1

Birks run or measure differently.  Their narrow is considered a normal width here.  It is the filled in footprint on the inside sole. Their normal width is considered wide here. It is the open footprint inside the sole.  

http://www.birkensto...dth-symbols.cfm

I don't know how I managed it, but somehow, in my research, I understood this to be the opposite--that the narrow was extra narrow, and the wide was normal width. Ugh. 

• Like 1

I don't know how I managed it, but somehow, in my research, I understood this to be the opposite--that the narrow was extra narrow, and the wide was normal width. Ugh. 

No, "narrow" is normal women's width, "wide" is normal men's width.  I have super-wide feet and the wide Birkenstocks are a perfect fit for me.  If you have regular-width feet for a woman, wide might be a problem for you.  Sorry!  But the strap tightening might help.

Edited by justasque
  • Like 1